Deer Meat

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Bowman, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Bowman

Bowman Well-Known Member

NEA
    How long will deer meat stay good in the freezer? I had one processed last october and still have a little burger left, will it be ok.

2. ryanh_johnson

ryanh_johnson Well-Known Member

My opinion its still good as long it was tightly wrapped with a good seal. I typically have a couple packages left over every year and they always seem to be ok.

Just my .02! :biggrin:

3. reflex1

reflex1 Well-Known Member

I was talking to a woman at church that said she had some in the freezer for ten years and was still good when she fixed it - one never knows - as long as it's kept frozen and has no freezer burn - should be okay!

4. CDay

CDay Well-Known Member

Ten years, I really doubt it. But being in there that long it might have been freeze dried. About two years if packaged real good and freeer temperature at zero or below.

5. jake

jake Well-Known Member

You'll know if it is freezer burnt. It won't hurt you, but tastes bad. Even if you scrape off the dried part, the taste remains. But as long as there is no dry crust on it after it defrosts, it should be fine. Burger is the worst to burn though, since you usually don't put any water in the package to buffer it.

6. Bowman

Bowman Well-Known Member

NEA
    thanks for the info, I used some tonight and it taste fine to me, I didnt see and freezer burn on it.

7. fullcredit

fullcredit Super Moderator

Another good recommendation----write or stamp the date on the packages.

8. BuzzBait

BuzzBait Well-Known Member

Only one year froze, its fine..Usually deer meat only last a couple weeks at my house...

9. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

what he said.

10. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I use a vacuum sealer and have had it up to 3 years with no sign of freezer burn.