Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
They always start dropping in North Arkansas in mid December. Not all of the bucks but if you have cameras out this is when they start dropping.
This^^^^. Exactly what I see in my area. Seems the more dominate a buck is in a given area, they are the first to start losing their horns first. IMO I think it most likely is due to their body condition getting run down due to all the chasing and breeding they have done. On the other hand have seen some smaller, young bucks that still have their head gear still on their heads as late as turkey season.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I've seen a lot of bucks this year with broken or missing horns, also go to watch my first real deal buck fight too, and it was really something to see. Those two rascals weren't anything special by any means, but they were sure throwing down that morning. One clearly kicked the other one's butt all over the place. That's how they end up with their horns broken and missing.

·
Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi
Arrow
2,453 Posts
I had pics of a mature buck 2 yrs ago here
in extreme se Ark that had his rack at midnight on Jan 20 then 2 hrs later at 2 am he shows back up bald headed. He was healthy and probably 5 yrs old. Found one of his sheds about 3 months later. I figure thats about normal down here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.