Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where you can take deer to give to families that need them. I am gonna start doing this and I need to kill some does off my lease anyway. I hunt around ethel and stay in stuttgart alot.

· Registered
1,597 Posts
I serve on the Board of Directors for AHFH (Arkansas Hunters Feeding the Hungry) and would love to help you out. I see that you frequent DeWitt. Greg Manis with Half Moon Processing is one of our processors in DeWitt. Great guy. All you need to do is take him a deer and tell him you want to donate it to the program. You can always donate a portion if you want instead of the entire deer.

Greg's number is 870.946.1839 but will not open the processor till bow season so give him a week or so.

Check out our website www.arkansashunters.org

Processors are different. Some will take whole deer (which is the easiest for people wishing to donate. Shoot the deer drop it off). Some will take deer but they have to be gutted. Some only take deer that have been quartered. (if a person goes throught this much trouble they might as well keep it in my mind, but we will still gladly take it)

Point is we are trying to make it as easy as possible to donate deer. We have purchased a Refer. Truck which we hope to travel the State with and pick up deer at camps that may not have a AHFH Sanctioned Processor in that County.

With the ever growing popularity in DMAP, AHFH is a win, win situation for both sides. Most clubs that do not meet their doe quotas each year do so because they simply cannot eat that much deer, and they don't know what to do with the ones they can't. Depardation permits are useful, but the deer go to waste. We are working on that, and hopefully we will have a system in place by next year that provides pick up for people who don't have a processor, or have depardation permits during non-hunting season months.

If ANYONE ever needs more info on this please let me know. [email protected] is my e-mail address. There are numbers on our website for processors to call along with the County they are located in. If you don't see your county listed contact us and let us know of a processor that might be interested in that area.

Ronnie Ritter is our President, and his number is one the website. He can be reached anytime, and would be glad to answer any questions as would I.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

· Banned
1,372 Posts
how many can you donate? i have donated 1 for past 4 years but would like to donate 2 or 3, ill quarter them out and all no prob, just dont have that much storage if i keep one and wat to contiue hunting. hopefully can donate up to 3

· Registered
1,597 Posts
Elliot

You can donate as many deer as you would like. As long as its legal.:biggrin:

You will have to sign a form (or at least you are supposed to) at the processor. This form will allow you to transfer the deer to AHFH. If you only keep 1 deer from a 4 deer license you absolutely can donate the other 3.

Sprtsmn001

We do NOT have a processor in Hempstead County, but we DO have one in Howard County in Nashville.

B&G Packing 870.845.8706

I don't know if that would work for you guys or not. If you deal with a processor in Hempstead County and they would like to come on board let me know.

Please see our List of Processors on our WEBSITE www.arkansashunters.org
there may be a processor down there that is a little more feasiable for you. The main thing is if you are starting in a DMAP program the WORST thing you could do is NOT reach your doe quota. Shoot every single one of them. We will take them. If we have to we will come pick them up we will we are always willing to work out something.

EVERYONE: Please remember we are a NON-PROFIT organization. We have progressed a little and do get money through the Arkansas State Legislature, but not much and if we want to continue to get it we have to spend it.

Please remember if you wish to pay for the processing of the deer you donate (usually $60) you will get a tax-deductable reciept. Maeaning you can pay for a good program up front, and keep it from Uncle Sam later. You are certainly under NO OBLIGATION to EVER pay for the processing (they grind the entire deer into hamburger). YOu can also pay for a portion of the processing if you wish.

Thanks for the questions. Please keep them coming. I appreciate folks wanting to be involved with this. Keep my e-mail and visit our website. if you EVER have any trouble please let us know. If you know a processor who would like to be on board let us know.

· Registered
1,597 Posts
We do use volunteers at times. I would suggest calling Ronnie Ritter who is our President. His number is 501.282.0006.

The main thing we need right now is more processors. Currently we have 41.

That may sound like a lot, but we need more.

I appreciate your willingness to help. Call Ronnie and I am sure we can incorporate your willingness!!

Thanks a million!!

· Registered
5,705 Posts
Hambone, I was told last year that Gorden Miller from Arkansas Quality Processing was going to start this.

This one is located in Centerville and I didn't see his name on your list. Didn't see any from Yell County.

This place processes a huge amount of deer every year.

· Registered
1,597 Posts
As of today I am not aware of any processors in Yell County, and unfortunately I am not aware of the processor you are talking about.

if you want to PM or e-mail me his phone number i would be glad to see that we get in touch with him.

We sometimes run into a conflict of interest with processors. We really can't afford to pay more than $60 per deer. After all they are just running the entire thing through the grinder. This year we are going to pay by the pound.

Sometimes we get processors who want to be on board, but they see it as a money making opportunity as well, and want $80 to sometimes $100 per deer. We just can't do that. I certainly don't want to have them do it for free (even though we have 4 processors currently who do) we just can't afford to pay more.

I don't know why the processor in Yell County is not on board, but get me their info and I will make sure we get in touch with them!!!

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.