Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know what everyone thinks on feeding deer. Not ethics or anything like that, but what do you feed and do you feed year round. If you don't feed year round, why don't you?

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
I feed in 2 spots for my wife and son to have an easy spot to hunt. and to get pictures of some of the deer to see what is there. I feed corn from a timer feeder. I don't do it year around because of cost and it is 76 miles one way to where I hunt. I do feed from August to end of December.

·
Banned
5,686 Posts
I feed from a timer feeder behind my house year round. Most of the time it's corn but occasionally I'll buy a bag or two of that high protein feed and mix it half and half with corn. At times I'll run across soybeans that have spilled and I'll feed them. I keep a 2 row wide place disced at the edge of the trees and plant turnips,wheat or whatever I'm in the mood to plant. They really seem to like turnips the best in the summer

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I run 2 timer style feeders year around except for turkey season. Feed corn mostly. 1 is on the edge of my food plot and it gets more use by far than the one in the pine thicket on my lease. It's only 200 yards or so from my house and I enjoy the pics i get thru the year. So far deer, turkeys, bear, hogs, coyotes, doves, squirrels (lots of squirrels), fox, rabbits, rattlesnakes, a big cotton mouth, crows and lots of different kinds of song birds.

·
Premium Member
29,753 Posts
I agree with this , but why just feeder and not mineral sites and food plots too ? Its all where deer get close .
The deer don't concentrate in a food plot like they do at a feeder or mineral lick- in my opinion. I might be hard to regulate food plots. What would they do - stop you from planting wheat, beans or clover unless you had some type of commercial farming permit?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well guys thanks for the info. That helped, I had some plans but may scrap them until the CWD ordeal simmers a little. I don't know how drastic they can move things in a different direction.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I run about 4-6 mineral pits year round and feed and soy bean mill during the fall and winter, very seldom ever hunt over the corn but have taken a couple doe from them in the past. My main reason for the corn and soy is that most of the bucks hit it a little after dark or just before sunrise so i can hunt trails leading towards or away from them and get plenty of action and keep the deer healthy...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.