Deer Dog troubles

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by johnf, Jan 27, 2008.

1. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

The point has been made that there are not deer dog problems in the whole state. That's a very good point. I can't seem to get a poll up right now, so let me just ask. What zones have you had problems with dogs and was it on public or private land. Here are the zones that currently allow the use of dogs.

(2) During modern gun deer season in deer zones 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16A and 17.

I've only hunted in 1, 10, 11 and 14. I've had problems with dogs on private land in zone 10, 11 and 14 and on public land in zone 10 and 11. I've never hunted public land in zone 14.

2. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

We have trouble in zone 14 on public,leased and private land.

3. Mule man

Mule man Well-Known Member

Problems in 6 and 7. And I don't like it one bit.

4. straight shooter

straight shooter Well-Known Member

I have had deer dog problems in zone 2.

5. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

Uhhh.... I didn't think deer dogs were allowed in Zone 2....:smack:

6. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

Then he's got a serious problem.

7. straight shooter

Lawbreakers don't go by laws. Existing laws cover protecting landowner rights if respected and enforced.

8. 2dogs

2dogs Well-Known Member

Zones 6 & 8

Private land

I heard a race on both Saturday and Sunday

9. Mainbeam

Mainbeam Guest

If we have any experience at all with dogs and dog deer hunters, we know that they cannot control some of their dogs and will not control the others. And we know this statement is accurate anywhere deer dogs are used. So , for those looking for justification to eliminate deer dogs, this is enough justification. And we have not even started with the very long list of reasons why.

The reason this problem has not been resolved can be seen on this board and the responses to many polls on the subject. Many people are either intimidated by the dog guys raucous threats, they are kin to them, they are a captive within their own camp, or they have no dog guys around their property. But if dog deer hunters are around there is a trespass problem. Outside the site the AGFC is clearly afraid of the dog deer hunters and I cannot understand that. Tony posted (and I think I remember this correctly) that he was in a meeting with dog hunters and Scott Henderson two years ago when the dog hunters objected to the revocable permit. The permit idea was then abandoned because of this objection. This is an issue that is so clear cut it should not even be discussed. AGFC should face up to its responsibilities and make deer dogs illegal in every zone.

10. Mainbeam

Mainbeam Guest

johnf

Good post and I was going to respond but got emotional. You can assume that there is a problem in all zones but getting specific responses is better.

11. straight shooter

Don't see this as being specific, Also the landowner has the responsibilty to report violations in order to be documented and properly handled. How many of the above posters called game and fish,number of calls,and end results.

12. possum

possum Well-Known Member

I stated earlier in another thread I didn't have any problems this year for some reason or another but when I do it's always in zone 8. My BIL did say there was some walkers come across the place Saturday running a coyote. We know who this is and that's all he wants to do is run them and we generally mess him up and move him to a different area by cutting the races off and shooting the yotes.

13. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

We had a large problem with deer dogs on a local Federal Refuge. Once all dogs were declared "feral" (which changes things in a hurry) the big problem just seemed to clear up...quickly. I guess the dogs were then "trained" to turn around at the refuge sign. Weird huh?

14. beltcutter

At one time there was a large dog runner population. With the advent of smaller leases and purple paint the numbers have dwindled substantually down here in Miller County. Dog runners just got tired of "losing" half their dogs in one season. Lots of quicksand in these Sulphur River bottoms, tends to just swallow up dogs. Take a picture of a deer dog box if you see one in a pickup, rare photos fetch a pretty penney on ebay.

15. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

In my opinion, the statement: I can't control my dogs" or "my dogs can't read No Trespassing signs" are claims that will be the last nail in the coffin of deer hunting with dogs. It's ironic to say the least.....but it's proof that the doghunters themselves are their own worst enemy. As far as having incidents of trespassing dogs that effected my success.....only once; in zone 12, private property.....jumped the buck I was set up on, and ran him out of hearing! But my son James killed him after all, y'all saw the pics!:wink: ~john

16. Come on Beltcutter there will still be dog boxes in trucks even if they closed running dogs for deer.
    People use dogs for many other kinds of hunting coon,fox,squirrel,rabbit,qual and ducks so please stop being so sarcastic about the dog boxes in trucks.

That is unless it on the agenda of the dog haters to GO FOR IT ALL ....The complete extermination of all dogs!!!!!Not gonna happen!!

Boy I am glad I don't hate all dogs like some............

17. beltcutter

S-l-o-w-l-y read my post soarkrebel, I said deer dog boxes, not just dog boxes. Oh, and by the way I love my dog, and if I love her I'll learn how to keep her HOME!

18. Oh I cleaned my reading glasses and saw that DEER DOG BOXES:thumb:

Sorry beltcutter thank you for your kind correction:thumb:

19. beltcutter

Oh, and I hugged my little weiner dog. I just have to stoop reeeeeaaal low to do it!:biggrin:

20. JR

JR Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br

:idea: