Arkansas Hunting banner

Which solutions would fix the deer dog problems.

• What Problblems? There are no problems.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Ban all deer dogs.

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • More strict inforcement

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • More WOs

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Acerage requirements

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Licensing and marking requirements

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Split season or dogs only Mon-Thurs

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Dog/no dog areas in every zone

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Special revocable permit for dog hunters

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Dog size restrictions

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
i noticed the last option was "size restriction"....

curious, but is that length, height, surface area, diameter...

hope its not surface area because one wrinkly ole basset hound will have the same surface area as a lean walker or english. length would knock out the daschunds most likely.

i don't have a basset or a daschund, but the diameter thing would probably knock out my fat beagle track dog though....

luke:lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
johnf,
the only thing I wish you had done different was set it up where we could see who voted how.
i voted for the licensing / marking requirements. i think it could cause the AGFC to pay more attention to it and enforce the laws better because the licenses would bring in more $ and make a better opportunity to put out fines that equal $. money make the government work...well to an extent.

luke:thumb:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I voted more strict enforcement, more WO's and special revocable permit for dog hunters. I thought about the marking thing but decided that could run into problems of how far does it need to be visible, how's it to be done....etc. On the size restrictions I liked that one quite a bit as well but couldn't force myself to tell a walker guy....Sorry but if your going to run dogs they gotta go, get yourself some beagles.

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I voted now. Can you tell what I said.

I just like a guy to be able to be honest without retrobution.

Can you tell my spell checker still isn't working?:biggrin:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that but decided to give ya a pass rather than a :poke: because your having some little Problblems right now.

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know with all this bickering I would have thought more people would chime in on solutions that might work.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I've voted and posted my vote so here my opinions on the options offered up in the poll.

1. What Problems? There are no problems.
Well obviously there is a problem or we wouldn't be having this discussion....Right?

2. Ban all deer dogs.
Don't much care for this one although I'm afraid that will be what happen in the end.

3. More strict enforcement
YES, definitely and on more than this one issue.

4. More WOs
Makes #3 more feasible so another definite YES.

5. Acreage requirements
Not sure on this one. How much is enough? I don't know, I've seen walkers travel miles but have personally set and watched short-legged beagles run a 64 acre tract I got permission to hunt for several hours and never get off of it.

6. Licensing and marking requirements
The marking requirements would probably be more hassle than it's worth and a lot of it would fall back to #'s 3 & 4 like most of these would.

7. Split season or dogs only Mon-Thurs
Not sold on the split season thing and I'm sure dog runners have jobs too.

8. Dog/no dog areas in every zone
We basically have this now, it's call posted property. It's not working in a lot of cases. Again see options 3 & 4.

9. Special revocable permit for dog hunters
I like this one as well and it's another reason I'm not sure about #5. I think I'd be willing to give the guy a chance to do it in my words "right" or he could/should/would lose his privileges to run dogs. And yes that includes the neighbor that has continually run his dogs wherever and whenever he wanted because in the past there was no real threat of getting in trouble.

10. Dog size restrictions
I just don't like this one plain and simple. If a guy could meet the requirements called for in #9 why should he have to change breeds cause of a the dogs size.

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The lease that I was on last year had a rule for dog hunters that really worked. They couldn't let thier dogs out I think before 10:am and they had to have them penned by 2 hours befor sundown. The letting them out thing would be easily workable to me, but I'm not sure about putting them up in the real world. Of course in 4 years of hunting there, I never saw a dog outside of allowable time limits. But in a situation like that you know who's using dogs and you just have to look in the box to see if they are all there. The real world would be a lot harder. This gave them a chance to run their dogs and us a chance to hunt without dogs. I did see them a few times in the middle of the day, but it was my choice to be out there when they were running. Can't gripe a bit about that.

I think it was mostly about everyone having respect for the others.

·
Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br
11,495 Posts
Only ones that would be 100 per cent would be a total deer dog ban and good enforcement.:lol: :lol: :lol:
People would still do it anyway. Drugs are illegal, methheads, crackheads, & potheads still run rampant and they are not afraid of any laws or courts. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts