Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We only have 4 members in our lease this year we (me) are trying to set a few rules. Everyone including myself obviously hates rules including myself. I think necessary to have a few though. So first off we started with two main stands (rifle stands) per membership that’s not firm really but no one has a slide that hunts so shouldn’t be a issue. Me and one guy agreed the other two didn’t one of those guys has 9 stands and the other wants a bunch of stands to be club stands but never shows up before season and lives 15 min away. Me and the guy they agrees pays more. I pay 3 memberships he pays two. We pay a dang bunch between the two of us for a pine lease. Rule number two and we never got a straight answer. I said kids should be off a membership once they graduate college or trade school consider them an adult and they always have chance to join the year they get out. Response back from one I can barley pay now much less when I was 18 so emphasized how I said after college or trade school not 18. He came back I didn’t go to college. So I said ok if they don’t go to college give them first year until they are 19 that gives them a whole year to work out of school and save for a year to be a member if they want .
Am I being a butt and to strict with these rules? Never got a reply so no rules have been established as of now. What’s yalls thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,601 Posts
I have no comment on the rules, but I'd sure wanna sit down meeting to establish who is actually in charge and what the consequences are for not following the rules.

Sounds like if you don't, some of them are gonna do what they want anyway.

Or just punch the rest of them square in the nose and establish dominance.

·
Premium Member
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have to lol. I guess no one is actually in charge. Trying my best to not make it a dictatorship. 4 of us and the votes go 2/2 it seems. I’m all actually me and the guy that votes same as me have 5 memberships between us and the land is in my name. That’s not how I want to do it though. I want us to all agree and be on the same page but that’s not seeming to happen

·
Premium Member
14,199 Posts
Those rules you proposed are fine. We do the “out of school” rule but I’m sure my lease is a lot less expensive than yours. Also, it’s all in my name, and they all agree I call the shots. We don’t have many rules at all tho. We are all liked minded and there’s only 5 stands on the whole place, each has their stand and 1 community stand.
The only rule I am steadfast on is first buck can be any legal buck, second buck must be 4+ years old or past it’s ears. Nobody on the lease has ever killed more than 1 buck in a year tho.

it’s your place, make it like you want it. If they run off, I’m sure you can find someone to replace them. Don’t let deer hunting make you loose a good friend tho

·
Registered
11,854 Posts
Sounds like you may need to replace 1-2 of the hunters on your lease. Heck, if you are in charge, just make the rules fair (sounds like you are) & if they don't like them, they can always find another lease. Didn't you have some rules or stand issues with these same guys, last season??

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
We only have 4 members in our lease this year we (me) are trying to set a few rules. Everyone including myself obviously hates rules including myself. I think necessary to have a few though. So first off we started with two main stands (rifle stands) per membership that’s not firm really but no one has a slide that hunts so shouldn’t be a issue. Me and one guy agreed the other two didn’t one of those guys has 9 stands and the other wants a bunch of stands to be club stands but never shows up before season and lives 15 min away. Me and the guy they agrees pays more. I pay 3 memberships he pays two. We pay a dang bunch between the two of us for a pine lease. Rule number two and we never got a straight answer. I said kids should be off a membership once they graduate college or trade school consider them an adult and they always have chance to join the year they get out. Response back from one I can barley pay now much less when I was 18 so emphasized how I said after college or trade school not 18. He came back I didn’t go to college. So I said ok if they don’t go to college give them first year until they are 19 that gives them a whole year to work out of school and save for a year to be a member if they want .
Am I being a butt and to strict with these rules? Never got a reply so no rules have been established as of now. What’s yalls thoughts?
Just go Putin on em.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I dunno a lot about deer club leases, but there’s no way in hell I would be sitting around a fire drinking beer with a guy who didn’t pay his membership. Now, I’d share beer, give the kid a ride, even buy him a steak, cause it is tough and I’ve been there. But no way in hell I would be paying a guys dues to watch him spend money elsewhere. Be like asking a guy to go out West and him expecting you to buy his tag. I might pay for gas and hotel if the guy was broke, I’m going anyway, but I ain’t buying the guys tags. That’s all I got.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well, I would also say that I would be basing the allowed harvest off the membership also. What I mean is having a limit per membership, not per hunter. A guy could buy a membership and have three young kids. Does that mean they should be allowed to shoot 8 bucks, 6 with no restrictions? Nope. But you have 5 memberships, and in my book that means you can bring enough guests to kill 5 statewide limits, or club limits if you have a club limit. But 5 memberships is 5 limits and 1 membership is one limit.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I don’t know about the rules but equitable representation based on fees paid for the lease demands that each paid membership should count as a vote. (You should have 3 votes)

If only 4 of you the only 2 stands per member seems like a low number but 9 stands is too much unless he is fine with anyone hunting them at any time. “Camp stands” should benefit everyone.
If a son or daughter is actively in school I see them being allowed to hunt or just keep it simple and set age at 21. Most college students are graduating around 21 years old for a four year degree.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
  • No generators in camp
  • No women in camp
  • No illegal deer in camp

Leave the generators at home and you can skin the other two in the woods.
Rules not allowing women in camp are BS in my opinion and clearly sexist. Most clubs like that don’t last these days. It also discriminates against members who have daughters.

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts
Well, I would also say that I would be basing the allowed harvest off the membership also. What I mean is having a limit per membership, not per hunter. A guy could buy a membership and have three young kids. Does that mean they should be allowed to shoot 8 bucks, 6 with no restrictions? Nope. But you have 5 memberships, and in my book that means you can bring enough guests to kill 5 statewide limits, or club limits if you have a club limit. But 5 memberships is 5 limits and 1 membership is one limit.
This is spot on. The one year we were in a lease they had minimum requirements for killing a buck by a member...BUT...I later figured out that a member could bring his kids and the kids could kill whatever they wanted. That made NO sense to me. The folks with kids could have several people hunting and shooting anything they wanted...while a single adult paying for a membership could not.

·
Premium Member
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t know about the rules but equitable representation based on fees paid for the lease demands that each paid membership should count as a vote. (You should have 3 votes)

If only 4 of you the only 2 stands per member seems like a low number but 9 stands is too much unless he is fine with anyone hunting them at any time. “Camp stands” should benefit everyone.
If a son or daughter is actively in school I see them being allowed to hunt or just keep it simple and set age at 21. Most college students are graduating around 21 years old for a four year degree.
21 sounds like a good number to me. If they don’t go to school it gives them time to save. The guy claims he don’t care if anyone gets on the other stands but I personally couldn’t just go Jump on a stand someone has been feeding or anything like that. Really just trying to come up with a number in case we ever add more members every spot they look at don’t have a stand on it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
We have a rule of 3 personal stands per member. Members can have immediate family (wife, kids or grand kids) hunt at no cost as long member is hunting or present at the lease. Kids hunt for free until they are 18 or out of school. If they are over 18 or out of school then member is charged a Dailey guest fee. Every membership has 3 stands and 1 vote per membership.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts