Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious what everyone thinks about using deer calls? whats your favorite? When do you start usin em? Is it to early? Had some of the best "luck" with the buck growl last year twice....just curious. lets here it

·
Registered
13,503 Posts
My experience with grunt tubes has been the whole gamut. I've had them to come in with guns ablazin'! I've had them look my way then go back to whatever they were doing. That's usually the one I get. And I believe I have run a few off! It's been kinda wierd. Just like when I try to speak some French, Spanish or Russian. By the response, I've wondered if I actually said what I meant to say!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I like standard grunt calls and the can lil can (doe blet). i also have had some great action with a scent from Hunters Helper. made here in arkansas. the Buck urine & musk. I have taken 2 - 8pts on camp robinson with in 5 yards shots.

Fetmo:usa:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I like standard grunt calls and the can lil can (doe blet). i also have had some great action with a scent from Hunters Helper. made here in arkansas. the extreme rut. I have taken 2 - 8pts on camp robinson with in 5 yards shots.

Fetmo:usa:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Standard grunt call in mid range tone for me. Seems like the lower toned ones don't work as well for me. Maybe they think the low toned ones are an old buck they don't want to mess with. I usually don't use mine till I have a buck spotted. That way I can watch his reaction and either keep calling or be quiet. I will agree sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, but when they do it sure is a sight to see.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I've had bucks come in almost running to a can bleat call. Didn't even know one of them was in the area until it ran up looking for the doe. I've also had them totally ignore it other than just turn their head. Seems like I've had better luck with the can earlier in the bow season. Never had much luck with a grunt call other than to stop a walking buck. Never called any in with a grunt tube.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Doe bleet can rocks. I use the grunt a little too.

First time I used it killed the biggest deer of my life.

Granted, it was the rut and he was a little dumber.

Just to recap what happened so you can see how I used it. From 6-10:30 there wasn't much action with the bleet used sparingly so I got frustrated and my butt was hurting. I got down out of the stand to get another cushion out of the truck and considered the day was probably a wash. I made a scrape and pee'd in it and then walked about 300 yards to the truck. I walked back to my stand and as soon as I sat down I grabbed the can. Turned it, and the leaves began to come alive. I saw that beauty of a buck I've got on the wall and I bout messed my pants. That's the short version. I will continue to use the bleet in my toolbox.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have never, ever had a deer call or the can to do anything for me. Nothing, zero.
I have never had a buck come running in to the sound of a grunt tube, but I have jumped bucks in thick brush twice and grunted out them, and then have them circle around to check me out :woohoo: It didn't work out to good for them. That's really the only luck I've had with them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.