Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that you can have to small of caliber or to large of caliber?
If so where do you think the small end should and where the big end should be, and why.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Your probably opening up a cane of worms here. Smallest 243. largest 308. But that's just 1 opinion of many I suspect.

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,599 Posts
Depends on a whole lot of variables (as well as opinions!).

For example -

If a person is a good and practiced shot, and lives within the reasonable effective range of their weapon, there are not many rifles that I would say are too small. My own opinion is that centerfire rifles of .22 caliber minimum should be required (thus I don't believe in a .17 Remington as a deer cartridge). A .223 will kill a deer dead - as verified by several stories and photos right here on this board.

As far as too large. That is an interesting question. In reality, what is actually NEEDED to kill a deer? A bullet of enough size and with enough energy to cleanly and reliably bring reasonably rapid death to the animal if placed correctly. A .224 caliber bullet (.223/22-250/220Swift, etc.) will take a deer down if placed correctly - but the need for careful bullet placement comes into play even more so than large bullets. On the other hand - a 50 BMG will quickly and effectlively (and reliably) take down a deer too - but what is left? We also have to consider safety. That 50 cal round will easily go a LONG ways after passing through a deer - and will have substantial velocity and energy for that trip.

If someone wants to carry a .375 H&H, or a 458 WinMag, 577 Nitro or Tyrannosaur and shoot a deer with it - that is their perogative - while I don't see a need, that is their right. But large-bore rifles are not an excuse for sloppy, careless, or unpracticed shooting.

I personally hope to some day own a .338 Win Mag that I would probably carry while deer hunting some. While my preferred rifle for deer is my .270. Then again, I have also carried my .22-250 and see no problem with that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on a whole lot of variables (as well as opinions!).

For example -

If a person is a good and practiced shot, and lives within the reasonable effective range of their weapon, there are not many rifles that I would say are too small. My own opinion is that centerfire rifles of .22 caliber minimum should be required (thus I don't believe in a .17 Remington as a deer cartridge). A .223 will kill a deer dead - as verified by several stories and photos right here on this board.

As far as too large. That is an interesting question. In reality, what is actually NEEDED to kill a deer? A bullet of enough size and with enough energy to cleanly and reliably bring reasonably rapid death to the animal if placed correctly. A .224 caliber bullet (.223/22-250/220Swift, etc.) will take a deer down if placed correctly - but the need for careful bullet placement comes into play even more so than large bullets. On the other hand - a 50 BMG will quickly and effectlively (and reliably) take down a deer too - but what is left? We also have to consider safety. That 50 cal round will easily go a LONG ways after passing through a deer - and will have substantial velocity and energy for that trip.

If someone wants to carry a .375 H&H, or a 458 WinMag, 577 Nitro or Tyrannosaur and shoot a deer with it - that is their perogative - while I don't see a need, that is their right. But large-bore rifles are not an excuse for sloppy, careless, or unpracticed shooting.

I personally hope to some day own a .338 Win Mag that I would probably carry while deer hunting some. While my preferred rifle for deer is my .270. Then again, I have also carried my .22-250 and see no problem with that.
I think you made a good point about shot placement. I think thats is the foremost importance, and on the other hand comfort of recoil is the other.
If you are not comfortable with a gun you can not shot it. Now the 270 win
has always been my choice but I have bought a 340 and its a flat shooting
power house, but it has a lot of recoil but not to much for me in my opion. The only thing I worry about on the recoil is a good eye hickey from shooting
in an awkward position. But I like the energy (mega 2513 fps 3154 ft lbs @200 yds with 225 gr) and bullet weight. And fars as meat distruction it can be controlled with the bullet type.
map:thumb:

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I use a 30-30 or slug or a 30-06 and used a 308 one time. also back when I was stupid a 22mag many moons ago. What I am saying shot placement is 99%. :wink:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Whew... I can hardly wait to see who gets "hot" first with this one!!!

I know of several deer killed with .223's. But I think it is too light for deer. For most occasions. I know there are those who have killed them with .22 Hornets and .30 Carbines too!!! But for general applications, I think that anything less than a .243 is too small.

Now, I also think that much over a .270 or .30-06 is overkill too!! I've seen guys shoot fawns with .300 Win Mags and literally destory more meat than they recovered. Ditto for some shots on small deer with the 7mm Mag.

Shot placement and range are, and will always be; the decideing factor in what is too little or too much!!

But this is only my opinion. I like a .308! And a 10mm. And a .45Colt! And when hunting close to home a 12 ga. sabot!!!

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I think if its legal, and thats what you want to use then go ahead.
That's about the best answer I can come up with too. Everyone knows I'm a .270 man, but my daughters .223 did just as good of a job this year because I made sure her shots would be within her personal lethal range of 25 yards.

It's all about the range and conditions of each hunt, and those vary widely from hunter to hunter. :thumb:

.270Win

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Is the question you mean to ask Caliber or Cartridge?

Caliber .......bullet size could be like a 30-30,308 win,30-06 spg,300 win mag,300 rem ultra mag all the same caliber bullet. Now a .308 bullet is a fine caliber but personally I think a 300 rem ultra mag is a overkill for shooting in a thicket. To fast to do the job. A 308 win is slower at close range and the bullet has time to do it's job.

I mean if the bullet is screaming so fast does it have time to mushroom and produce the tissue damage needed for a quick kill at real close ranges.

I like to use the gun in my arsenal that suits what I think the conditions dictate.

But like what has been said.........if it's legal then go for it.......

Oh and I am partial to a .270 win ........cartridge:thumb:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
JMO, but I think the 7mm-08 is the ideal deer cartridge. Bullets have enough weight and frontal area to get complete penetration and leave a good blood trail but you are only using around 45 gr.s of powder so recoil and muzzle blast are reduced. 270 is good too but you are using 10 grains more powder to get the same results. The 7MM round is efficient. Again JMO.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
The Ideal RD for Arkansas for Price,Accuracy,Recoil and D33R Lethal is IMHO the 30/30... Most Shots around here will be Less than a 100yds..

Although I have been looking at a Armalite in a .308 MOA 1.5"-2" :thumb: $1300 plus a Scope... ouch
Great Fun for Deer and Protection and Practice...

·
Administrator
73,305 Posts
Although I have been looking at a Armalite in a .308 MOA 1.5"-2" :thumb: $1300 plus a Scope... ouch
Great Fun for Deer and Protection and Practice...
Go for it, you only live once. What better to spend your "rebate" check on... :biggrin: With match grade ammo, it'll shoot well inder MOA.

Here's mine...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have seen lots of deer killed with .22 caliber center fires. Shot placement is critical. I would like to disagree that a .308 is more effective than a 300 ultra. As long as the bullet that is loaded is driven within it's designed performance speed, it will do damage. All the lower velocity will mean is less energy transfer. The shock and energy transfer of a bullet is what enables it to kill so quickly.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I personally prefer the .30-06, but I've been shooting one for many moons.
I personally think the huge magnums are an overkill for deer, but they do the one thing they're carried for, kill - and quickly (with correct shot placement, as with any caliber - though marginal shots with the big mags do tend to put em down quicker).

As for the smaller calibers, I don't care for anything too small to shoot less than an 80 gr. bullet. We shoot 100 gr. in the wife's .243 & they do a good job. (I must admit, though, that a .17 FMJ will kill a deer if hit in the brain or double lunged or heart shot, etc.)

My feeling is that a bullet has to hit in an extremely vital place & have enough energy transfer to provide sufficient shock to the deer's system to put it down.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts