Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
I load my own in most of my rifles. I shoot 180 gn. Grand Slam speers in my 300 mag. Deer just drop and they aren't bruised up bad. Excellent performance in my mind. I load 165 gn Sbt Speers for my son's 30-06. Deer drop but it destroys some meat. I shot a deer with a 30-06 a couple of days ago and it ruined both shoulders. 165 gn speer. When I use my 35 Whelen I shoot 225 gn. Sierra SBT Gamekings. They kill and perform well and don't mess up much meat.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
right now i am shooting browning 150 grain rapid expansion in my 300 winmag. deer don't move after they have been shot. i don't think you really need a rapid expansion bullet in a 300 winmag, i'll go back to core lokt when i shoot these up.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I play with a lot of bullets since I reload. For reliability and performance it is hard to beat a standard flat base, cup and core bullet. I use a lot of speer hot cores, .284 in 130 and 145 grain.

The boat tail versions are pretty violent at the ranges I shoot and that includes the Sierra game kings.

For reliability and least meat damage you cannot beat the barnes TTSX. In thick cover they just don't leave the blood trail due to smaller exit holes in my experience.

I really want to try the accubonds but haven't been able to locate any.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Barnes TTSX or LRX.
I like that they don’t fragment and mess up a lot of meat. Your shot selection should reflect this.
This is a 120 grain TTSX I recovered from a hard quartering to shot that went through the shoulder, through the entire body cavity, through the opposite ham, and was under the skin when we pulled it off. It weighed 119 grains. The polymer tip weighs 1 grain.
Wood Flooring Gas Tints and shades Asphalt

21 - 40 of 66 Posts