Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, when I was hunting yesterday evening like I said I hade 3 doe come up about 40 yrds to my left. One of them just looked over at me, and keep looking toward my way. They have been at my feeder the past 2 mornings, and evenings. I don't think she winded me, and I don't know if she saw me. I looked right her, but didn't move a muscle. Do you think she seen me ? The wind wasn't blowing much at all. I don't think she got wind of me. She didn't blow. She didn't take off running. She just guided them the other way. She knew something wasn't quit right. What do you think ?

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
She probably just felt that something wasnt right. It's weird how it happens sometimes. I think especially at feeders, mature deer know that they need to be careful. That corn doesnt just fall out of the sky for no reason.

I think this borders on being a wives tale, but I've alway heard that not looking directly at deer helps. You know how you can just feel that someone's staring at you? When I'm getting stared at, I always look off to the side and watch the deer out of my peripheral vision. I think it helps.

·
Premium Member
18,385 Posts
I have no doubt that deer and other game "sense" it when we look directly at them. I've avoided doing it for a long time now. Not sure if it makes a big difference, but I do believe it matters. I know it certainly doesn't hurt anything by not making eye contact.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if they come around this evening I am gonna close my eyes for about 5 minutes or so, and maybe when I open them they will be in range. I just don't know if I can keep them closed that long.

She will be looking my way when they move in again won't she ?

·
Banned
385 Posts
I have believed for a long time that an mature doe is as wary as most bucks.....not all, cause on the flip side of that statement I say the dumbest deer in the woods is a yearling buck.:biggrin:

She probably sensed there was something not right......not saying she saw "YOU" qoute/unquote......but she saw something that wasn't there yesterday, or the day before or last week etc......"you"......but by staying still and having the wind on her you didn't trip her alarm so to speak. Did that make sense?:head:

Bad thing about them cowheaded suckers (mature does) is that more than likely every time she comes back she is going to look up.......if you get a chance I'd kill her before she messes you up when it counts.:up:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have believed for a long time that an mature doe is as wary as most bucks.....not all, cause on the flip side of that statement I say the dumbest deer in the woods is a yearling buck.:biggrin:

She probably sensed there was something not right......not saying she saw "YOU" qoute/unquote......but she saw something that wasn't there yesterday, or the day before or last week etc......"you"......but by staying still and having the wind on her you didn't trip her alarm so to speak. Did that make sense?:head:

Bad thing about them cowheaded suckers (mature does) is that more than likely every time she comes back she is going to look up.......if you get a chance I'd kill her before she messes you up when it counts.:up:
I know,but she just didn't come quit close enough "40" yrds. If she comes 10 yrds closer tonight I am pulling the trigger on her. You think there is a chance she will come in this evening and not even look ? There is a reason why they didn't come to my feeder, and I think the reason is me. I just hope she comes in a little closer this evening !!! They may not even show up this evening ?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If she thought she saw something up there last night, I wouldnt doubt it.
Can you move your stand a little bit or maybe do something to give yourself a little cover?
This is a lean stand I am on right now. If she comes in tonight, and doesn't come closer I will get my climber out and come to her ! :up: Thing about, after I get in my climber she'll show up at my feeder ! :fit:

·
Banned
385 Posts
I know,but she just didn't come quit close enough "40" yrds. If she comes 10 yrds closer tonight I am pulling the trigger on her. You think there is a chance she will come in this evening and not even look ? There is a reason why they didn't come to my feeder, and I think the reason is me. I just hope she comes in a little closer this evening !!! They may not even show up this evening ?
I figured that was why you didn't crack her in her ribs last night......too far:up:

I was just saying that because we have had a stand literally ruined by a doe that busted one of our other buddies getting out of the tree before dark one night. From that point on it was funny......every time she would come out she would bust who ever was in the stand.......she'd stick her ol big head out of the thicket......look up and start blowing.

That's okay though.......opening weekend of Black powder season she got a case of lead poisoning and that was the end of it.:fit:

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have no doubt that deer and other game "sense" it when we look directly at them. I've avoided doing it for a long time now. Not sure if it makes a big difference, but I do believe it matters. I know it certainly doesn't hurt anything by not making eye contact.

The good thing about it is if you take your climber, she will be lookin at the lean up and never know you are there. :wink:
X 2 to all of that if i got the right posts

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.