Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all's thoughts on using decoys... I usually use a hen, but never used a jake decoy or strutter... Need some input.
Thanks.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
Ive used a strutter for the past 3 or 4 years. Every longbeard that has seen my strutter...has ran the whole way in.

·
Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the kind of input I like to hear... I'm going to buy one... Just haven't figured out which one yet

·
Registered
72 Posts
Filmed many of birds being killed and always use decoys and always put out at least three decoys and normally use five I always put a stutter decoy out they normally always commit to my spread!

·
Premium Member
13,719 Posts
I've never put much stock in them.. Don't get me wrong I keep a hen decoy in my vest but I haven't used it the last 3 years.. Before the 90's I never used a decoy and about 94-95 I bought a 3 pack (2 hens and a jake) and started using them but I had a problem with birds stopping once they saw the decoys and not wanting to come in so I ditched the jake and 1 hen and started having pretty good luck with birds finishing on the lone hen.. For me anyway it just seemed the birds would stop once they saw the decoy and expect the decoy to meet them half way.. The last 3 years I went back to the way I use to hunt and the birds have really come in looking and putting on a show for the hen they hear but can't see.. I suppose they are just another tool in the tool box but I just never mastered using them.. Anyway, good luck on however you can get it done..:up:

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
I used the featherlight decoys for years. U know the inflatable ones. They worked great. Easy to carry too. Prolly my fav strutter. Problem was thorns and or turkeys. Runnin and gunnin i tended to stick a thorn in em. Kansas is full of em. Also had numerous birds flog em and puncture em....those holes cant be fixed. Bought a peepin tom last year. Had my gf repaint the heads and it looks much better now. I only use one head at a time. The 2 head thing is kinda dumb. Had great success with it last year. Just bulky and a pain to carry . Main reason i dont have a dsd. I love the thing but dont wanna carry it

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I think it's relative to where you hunt. I think in the South with Easterns it's a 50/50 at best with decoys. For that simple reason, I rarely use one. Out West they seem more effective. From what I have experienced a lone jake or a jake with one hen have worked best.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cherokee sports blow ups is all I use and I don't have a problem with thorns now a turkey flogging them I have a problem with but most of the time you can just patch the holes! I love the billy bad act strutted bc it's smaller size and easy movement with little wind gives the birds that confidence to commit a lot more often!!

·
Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi
Arrow
2,437 Posts
Ive had good success with decoys in pipelines and fields. Dont use one in the timber. Used a b mobile strutter one year and hammered the gobblers in several states. I have seen a mature tom avoid the strutter. I killed him anyway and he was a 4 yr old. A jake hen combo was deadly on flocked up 2 yr old one season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts