Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to up grade my hot buys. i really do not have a price range, was looking at the higdon super mags what does everyone think of those??? also does anyone have those sloted decoy bags and due you like them or due you like the common bag and any good idia's from keeping them from getting banged up??

·
Registered
571 Posts
Rusty witch "hot buys" do you have. If you are looking to up grade I would recommend the Life Size Mallards by Green Head Gear. Or if you like the hot buy editions due to the price the Magnum Hot Buys are what I run mostly now.

The slotted bags are great for keeping you decoys clean and scuff free. I personally only use them for my full body mallards I still use the standard bags for my floaters and havent had any issues with paint. One thing I can recommend is using the keel grabber weights they hook to the keel and arent big and bulky. Also since they are hooked to the keel in storage they arent as likely to bang up your decoys.

James
Avery Pro-Staff
Zink Calls Field Staff

·
Registered
500 Posts
I try to hunt timber mostly so I carry one bag with maybe 2 dozen dekes. And I get the one's that are on sale cause in the timber it's usally about the calling anyway. If you are huntin open area's I would probably also go with the GHG's but there are alot of good looking dekes out there.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw the life size GHG mallards the only thing I did not like was that all heads were fixed looking stright foward with the Higdon decoys it comes with 2 resters 4 alerts and you can turn the head don't know if that makes a difference but anything can help. I hunt 70% open fields/ sloughs and 30% GTR I am not set eaither way on these but the colors seem to look most realistic.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i've always used g&h magnums and had good luck with them. they come with swivel heads so you dont get everything looking straight. as far as the best looking decoy i think these full curls are the best looking, but they are proud of them. here is their link:http://www.aerooutdoors.com/products/decoys/duck_floating.html

i am going to pick up a couple dozen new decoys this year, and i'm going to look strongly at the new ones in the macks catalog that inflate but have a real decoy head on them...never seen them in person, but it seems like those inflatables would have to move a lot better with a light breeze...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I saw the life size GHG mallards the only thing I did not like was that all heads were fixed looking stright foward with the Higdon decoys it comes with 2 resters 4 alerts and you can turn the head don't know if that makes a difference but anything can help. I hunt 70% open fields/ sloughs and 30% GTR I am not set eaither way on these but the colors seem to look most realistic.
Rusty, I dont think the heads not moving is that big of an issue. Especially if you are hunting in timber. On the fields I would want the life size mallards due to size of the decoy. And in my opinion the GHG has the best paint and realism look of any decoy out there.

·
Registered
630 Posts
For the timber, Black 2 liter jugs, or any black shell. Use to use the refigerant tanks on the river. For longevity, G&H. Rogers sporting goods, 84.99 a dozen. I refuse to buy a decoy that has to be put in a slotted bag to keep paint on them. My g&h decoys are 12 years old and look great. I Bought a few dozen extra 3 years ago and still look like they came out of the box. Just chunk em in a bag and go.

·
Registered
884 Posts
the avery decoys do look good but for durability I'd go with the G & H's.

Id also look at carry lite if I needed new decoys these are the ones I'd get. They look real good and every carry lite product i've dealt with has lasted a long time.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I just sold about three dozen carry-lites to a young bud of mine. They were battered but still pretty decent and are at least ten yrs old.

I've changed my strategy a little this year. I'm buying some of the Fusion inflatables, and a few more full bodies. I had more luck with a better looking smaller spread than I did with a truck load of dekes that got left on the field for long periods of time!!

I don't plan to use more than 2.5 dozen dekes in any one place at a time. And I plan to be laying right out in the middle of them again too. It was more ducks in the bag, and they were true "in 'yo face" shots!!! I experienced a better hunt when I got off my @$$, left the pit and waded out to the X's where ducks wanted to be!!! I hunted several times with only 5 dekes and got my limits quicker and up close and personal!!!

It may never work again.. but it's how I'll start this year rather than how I'll finish the last couple of weeks like last season!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
that sounds like my plan..i've got an otter predator blind, and when you put it in a combine rut and stubble it up, it flat disappears, especially if you can dovetail it at a break in a check levee, basically just complete the break in the levee. its not as low profile of the cloth/frame ones, but it'll keep out about a foot of water. one thing i tried last year that seemed to help was flocking the head and black on my drake decoys. that stuff looks real in the sunlight. wouldnt matter a lick in the woods, but they look different and fooled some field ducks that get a pretty good look at your stuff...but i also used less decoys. just an idea, if you've got a place to do it, it's nice. to be honest there were times when the blind was hid so well and with just a dozen to a dozen and a half decoys, when i saw the birds they were locked up without calling....

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
IDENTICAL experinces from last season!! I yanked the goose off my Gooseview blind and just used the recliner. I got low and kicked water and rarely called at all. Most of the time just kicking water had ducks feet-down!!!

If all goes well I'll have an Otter in another few weeks. I've got a killer slough boat, a Four Rivers layout; and it works great too and is real low profile; it's three times heavier than the Otter and just harder to get in an out from place to place. I plan to use the Otter in the shallows of the field and the 4-rivers in the deeper spots and along the canals.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i am needing a new boat like that myself. i was looking at that otter stealth (i think thats the name of it)..i like the stability it affords, because i had a pirogue that wasnt exactly the model of stability....but as far as decoys go, are the fusions self inflating, or do you have to sit out there blowing them up, or what? i am wanting those, but debatin on just getting 18 of those full curls and calling that good....they are high, but since i'm not using as many, i can stand it...i've got 4 dozen of the g&h magnums now, with about half of them flocked and the other half sinkers...has anyone seen those fusion dekes in person?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I've got some Fusions on order. They're inflatables, but the other featherlites I have will blow up in a single good puff. It's no struggle to inflate them. And I like them alot!!! They move good on the water, they weigh next to nothing, and take up less space with less noise when you're trying to slip into a place in the dark!! I hate to be puttin' on a "Tonto" through the woods or the field edge and have bags of dekes banging away every step!!!

When I first got them I had a half dozen that got destroyed buy eagles!! I went in for lunch and came back that evenng and three were shredding up, backs, heads and all!!! Two weeks later the same thing happen and I lost three more over a two day period. To me they must look like ducks or eagles wouldn't be tryin' to make a snack out of 'em!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.