Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Public?

Aint no one got time for that.....

I've had passthroughs on 3 birds and ain't recovered a one yet......hit em again next year.....
Yeah. I held my tongue as well as I could. Still don’t think he had any inclination he did a thing wrong and I was just a young punk. He closed with “I’ll be back in here hunting again” and spun his tires and drove off. Whatever dude.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hunted with my brother in Stone county this morning. Don’t think you could have asked for a better morning. Temperature was nice and the turkeys were gobbling. We heard 5 altogether and call 3 in. Culled this one from the heard. 20#, 9 inch beard with 1 inch spurs. Killed him and then got to watch the other 2 strut around him for the next 15 minutes.
AC612292-3489-47CF-BBAF-3CE76A15B01B.jpeg
F947C2B4-FD1C-45FF-9BE3-00DA67056F2E.jpeg

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yeah. I held my tongue as well as I could. Still don’t think he had any inclination he did a thing wrong and I was just a young punk. He closed with “I’ll be back in here hunting again” and spun his tires and drove off. Whatever dude.
I'll never understand why people feel the need to drive all the way into places, if you're too lazy to walk this is the wrong sport for you. I assumed the guy making all the racket this morning had drove in the trail on the other ridge WRONG! I had finally decided I'd had enough and started walking back to the truck to try a different area. This maroooon comes driving down a little fireplow trail in a blue Ford ranger. I'm glad he didn't stop at my truck on his way out cause he wouldn't have liked my advice. I run around and hit a few spots and finally struck a bird about 7:45 in a big creek bottom, circled around and got above him and slow played him for a while. I called once every 30 minutes or so and he'd cut me off every time. Finally after 2 1/2 hours I see him strutting on the side of a hill slowly easing my way. I click the safety off and I'm just waiting for him to pop up over the ridge and I hear a weird noise behind me. It sounded like rocks sliding then hooves, bird starts putting and I hear people talking. I probably could have jumped up and shot him, he was inside 40 yards. Anyway he takes off hauling tail to God knows where and here comes two women on horses through the middle of the thick azz woods about a mile from any trail. They were nice so I was nice back but I was let down severely. They said they'd lost the trail and was going towards the sound of the creek, heard a turkey and was trying to see if they could get close enough to see it. I've really come to hate public land these past few years.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
After i went back for my call I set up to do some late morning calling. After about 30 minutes I heard a limb falling from a tree and turned to see a bobcat fall from a tree with a squirrel in his mouth!! He was about 45 yards when i shot him. I knocked him down but he ran off into a thicket. I went over and kept his squirrel. View attachment 310984

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think it's over with, now I say that and the one I killed Monday gobbled 50-60 times on the roost in an hour. I got him gobbling at 15 till 6 and at 15 till 7
he hit the ground gobbled once and walked out where I could see him and I smoked him View attachment 310955 . But I have not heard one since and only one prior to the
one I killed. I think it's done down here in South Arkansas...d2

now that is an awesome pic!!! I think the double is the classiest way to go about turkey hunting... someday I will have one. what is that make and mode? nice bird, too! lol

·
Registered
26,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'll never understand why people feel the need to drive all the way into places, if you're too lazy to walk this is the wrong sport for you. I assumed the guy making all the racket this morning had drove in the trail on the other ridge WRONG! I had finally decided I'd had enough and started walking back to the truck to try a different area. This maroooon comes driving down a little fireplow trail in a blue Ford ranger. I'm glad he didn't stop at my truck on his way out cause he wouldn't have liked my advice. I run around and hit a few spots and finally struck a bird about 7:45 in a big creek bottom, circled around and got above him and slow played him for a while. I called once every 30 minutes or so and he'd cut me off every time. Finally after 2 1/2 hours I see him strutting on the side of a hill slowly easing my way. I click the safety off and I'm just waiting for him to pop up over the ridge and I hear a weird noise behind me. It sounded like rocks sliding then hooves, bird starts putting and I hear people talking. I probably could have jumped up and shot him, he was inside 40 yards. Anyway he takes off hauling tail to God knows where and here comes two women on horses through the middle of the thick azz woods about a mile from any trail. They were nice so I was nice back but I was let down severely. They said they'd lost the trail and was going towards the sound of the creek, heard a turkey and was trying to see if they could get close enough to see it. I've really come to hate public land these past few years.
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
now that is an awesome pic!!! I think the double is the classiest way to go about turkey hunting... someday I will have one. what is that make and mode? nice bird, too! lol
Thanks, the shotgun is a Spanish made double that I bought at Wolf's grocery in Monticello, AR in 1974. A guy brought it in to pay his bill with. I paid 150 bucks for it back then and have since bought 4 of them. Of the 4 I still have two. They are great guns and are made or were made in Eibar Spain. It's a 3" magnum and is choked full/modified and has two triggers and a beaver tail forearm and extractors instead of ejector's. You can usually find them on gun broker. Want me to find you one?...d2

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had a similar run in this morning. Stayed at the truck intentionally until 530 to make sure no one else came in. One bird kicks off early and is absolutely hammering. Make a move to get in front of the direction I think he’ll go and as I sit down another fires off across on the ridge, but I feel like I’m in a decent spot to kill him if he comes my way off the roost. Was already getting light so didn’t want to move much. Loudmouth flies down and goes the other way at a pretty good clip but the other one seems to be in a good spot. He starts working back up towards the fork in the ridge so I haul tail back up the hill to try to cut him off and he goes silent. Thought I spooked him somehow. I round the corner and there’s a truck parked at the fork... less than 300 yards from where the turkey is gobbling.... anyway, finally turkey gobbled again and sounds like he’s in the bottom between the ridge he roosted into and the one I initially set up on, so I take off back down there. He answers me at about 150 so I sit back down. Less than 5 minutes go by and dude who drove in on me proceeds to hack up a lung on the next ridge over. Needless to say the turkey went the other way and last I heard him gobble was 400 yards or so away. Sitting there trying to decide what the heck to do and dude gets in his truck and proceeds to drive down the road I’m on and pulls up and asks if I’m seeing anything. You can’t make this stuff up. I was cordial but let him know what he did wasn’t cool at all and he proceeded to make me out to be insane for caring that he drove in on me. People man. Can’t make this stuff up.
That sucks man. Yeah it's really unbelievable how stupid/inconsiderate people can be. Similar story from me, two different mornings. I was hunting some public Friday morning and was on a bird that was hammering. He was roosted on a knob where I've killed several before so I knew where I needed to be. I parked a little closer to the bird than I'd typically like, but I parked at a fork in the road and he was roosted down the fork headed east. Truck was maybe 400 yards from where I made my setup. I didn't block the road with my truck as it dead ends 600 yards from where I parked. I hadn't made a call to the bird as I was going to wait for him to fly down. As soon as he flies down, I call a little and immediately hear him drumming. 5 minutes later somebody decides to drive past my truck, down the dead end road, and I assume they see my hen decoy in the road and turn around. It's really unbelievable how people think that's okay to do. That was the only bird I heard that morning and you can guess the end result of ole boy driving in on me. Next morning, I'm on the same bird but he's about half a mile from where he had roosted the day before. He cranks up after I assume he has lost his hens around 7:30. I work in on him, get within 80 yards and about that time I hear a fourwheeler coming down the logging road. Bird goes silent, I stand up and a man maybe in his late 50s is easing through, shotgun over his shoulder, looking left and right as if he's hunting off the wheeler. I just don't understand it. At that point it was almost comical and par for the course. I wish AGFC would put more dadgum gates in and at least make access for idiots a little more difficult. I believe that would help to improve hunting quality immensely.

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
got to watch one flop this morning!! Fifth time was the charm. He was a sly ol boy..called him 3 separate mornings with the same result, this morning he messed up..
Screenshot_20210504-115408.jpg

·
Registered
26,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That sucks man. Yeah it's really unbelievable how stupid/inconsiderate people can be. Similar story from me, two different mornings. I was hunting some public Friday morning and was on a bird that was hammering. He was roosted on a knob where I've killed several before so I knew where I needed to be. I parked a little closer to the bird than I'd typically like, but I parked at a fork in the road and he was roosted down the fork headed east. Truck was maybe 400 yards from where I made my setup. I didn't block the road with my truck as it dead ends 600 yards from where I parked. I hadn't made a call to the bird as I was going to wait for him to fly down. As soon as he flies down, I call a little and immediately hear him drumming. 5 minutes later somebody decides to drive past my truck, down the dead end road, and I assume they see my hen decoy in the road and turn around. It's really unbelievable how people think that's okay to do. That was the only bird I heard that morning and you can guess the end result of ole boy driving in on me. Next morning, I'm on the same bird but he's about half a mile from where he had roosted the day before. He cranks up after I assume he has lost his hens around 7:30. I work in on him, get within 80 yards and about that time I hear a fourwheeler coming down the logging road. Bird goes silent, I stand up and a man maybe in his late 50s is easing through, shotgun over his shoulder, looking left and right as if he's hunting off the wheeler. I just don't understand it. At that point it was almost comical and par for the course. I wish AGFC would put more dadgum gates in and at least make access for idiots a little more difficult. I believe that would help to improve hunting quality immensely.
Man I really hate to hear that. I never have and never will be able to understand how people justify their actions on stuff like that. They just don’t know any better? Just don’t care? I don’t know the reasoning but it is downright maddening.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts