Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody else already tagged out or given up? Sitting at a pull in, about to get headed in. Got beat to my first spot, they either spent the night or got up even earlier than I did. Anyway. Maybe plan b will work out. Good luck to anyone out this morning, should be good gobbling weather!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I was planning on going back up to Missouri this morning but woke up way late. I decided to come back to the spot my daughter and I really messed up last week. The trail back in here looks like it's been pounded pretty hard but I'm gonna give it a go anyhow. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'm always surprised at the stupidity of some people. A guy on the next ridge over has went through every call in his bag trying to get a gobble. Peacock, owl, crow all about 109 times and now he's giving a box call nine kinds of hell. Times like this I sure wish I had a gobble tube in my vest.

·
Premium Member
19,462 Posts
I hope yall bust one today and I can read about it! I am sitting in my recliner drinking coffee!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I’m out, been out everyday this week except whatever day it rained. 0 gobbles, nothing seen. Had a guy come in the same ridge as me yesterday so trying a new spot. Did find a murder scene of a turkey by a coyote I’m guessing.

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
Everybody else already tagged out or given up? Sitting at a pull in, about to get headed in. Got beat to my first spot, they either spent the night or got up even earlier than I did. Anyway. Maybe plan b will work out. Good luck to anyone out this morning, should be good gobbling weather!
Crappie Biting..

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
I'm always surprised at the stupidity of some people. A guy on the next ridge over has went through every call in his bag trying to get a gobble. Peacock, owl, crow all about 109 times and now he's giving a box call nine kinds of hell. Times like this I sure wish I had a gobble tube in my vest.
Hey..That's Me..Stay on your Side of the Lake..

·
Registered
26,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had a similar run in this morning. Stayed at the truck intentionally until 530 to make sure no one else came in. One bird kicks off early and is absolutely hammering. Make a move to get in front of the direction I think he’ll go and as I sit down another fires off across on the ridge, but I feel like I’m in a decent spot to kill him if he comes my way off the roost. Was already getting light so didn’t want to move much. Loudmouth flies down and goes the other way at a pretty good clip but the other one seems to be in a good spot. He starts working back up towards the fork in the ridge so I haul tail back up the hill to try to cut him off and he goes silent. Thought I spooked him somehow. I round the corner and there’s a truck parked at the fork... less than 300 yards from where the turkey is gobbling.... anyway, finally turkey gobbled again and sounds like he’s in the bottom between the ridge he roosted into and the one I initially set up on, so I take off back down there. He answers me at about 150 so I sit back down. Less than 5 minutes go by and dude who drove in on me proceeds to hack up a lung on the next ridge over. Needless to say the turkey went the other way and last I heard him gobble was 400 yards or so away. Sitting there trying to decide what the heck to do and dude gets in his truck and proceeds to drive down the road I’m on and pulls up and asks if I’m seeing anything. You can’t make this stuff up. I was cordial but let him know what he did wasn’t cool at all and he proceeded to make me out to be insane for caring that he drove in on me. People man. Can’t make this stuff up.

·
Premium Member
12,262 Posts
Had a similar run in this morning. Stayed at the truck intentionally until 530 to make sure no one else came in. One bird kicks off early and is absolutely hammering. Make a move to get in front of the direction I think he’ll go and as I sit down another fires off across on the ridge, but I feel like I’m in a decent spot to kill him if he comes my way off the roost. Was already getting light so didn’t want to move much. Loudmouth flies down and goes the other way at a pretty good clip but the other one seems to be in a good spot. He starts working back up towards the fork in the ridge so I haul tail back up the hill to try to cut him off and he goes silent. Thought I spooked him somehow. I round the corner and there’s a truck parked at the fork... less than 300 yards from where the turkey is gobbling.... anyway, finally turkey gobbled again and sounds like he’s in the bottom between the ridge he roosted into and the one I initially set up on, so I take off back down there. He answers me at about 150 so I sit back down. Less than 5 minutes go by and dude who drove in on me proceeds to hack up a lung on the next ridge over. Needless to say the turkey went the other way and last I heard him gobble was 400 yards or so away. Sitting there trying to decide what the heck to do and dude gets in his truck and proceeds to drive down the road I’m on and pulls up and asks if I’m seeing anything. You can’t make this stuff up. I was cordial but let him know what he did wasn’t cool at all and he proceeded to make me out to be insane for caring that he drove in on me. People man. Can’t make this stuff up.
Public?

Aint no one got time for that.....

I've had passthroughs on 3 birds and ain't recovered a one yet......hit em again next year.....

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Had one gobbling about 7, a ways off, he was getting closer, shut up for about 20 mins, my friend had to relieve himself, you know the rest of the story. Good day in the woods though.

·
Registered
32,127 Posts
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I think it's over with, now I say that and the one I killed Monday gobbled 50-60 times on the roost in an hour. I got him gobbling at 15 till 6 and at 15 till 7
he hit the ground gobbled once and walked out where I could see him and I smoked him
IMG_4829.JPG
. But I have not heard one since and only one prior to the
one I killed. I think it's done down here in South Arkansas...d2

1 - 20 of 39 Posts