Dave Donaldson Black River

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Red Oak, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Red Oak

Red Oak Well-Known Member

How many late bow hunt on Dave Donaldson? What are the odds of seeing some good deer if hunting this late? I have never been their and was looking for some insight on this WMA to try and plan a hunt,, got to see some new country!

2. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

There are some real hosses in there. There used to be a picture on AGFC website that showed 17 Bucks together in a beanfield just outside of it. A guy I know killed one of the bigger ones and it scored above 200 green.

3. jhw

jhw Well-Known Member

If you have never hunted black river, you better have a GPS. It's VERY easy to get turned around, untill you learn the place.

4. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    I saw a 12 point come off DD that was by far the biggest deer I have EVER seen. It took 4 guys to lift if out of the boat they were in and when they hung it one a 300# spring scale it bottomed out. That deer looked like a horse in the boat.

5. There are no deer in dave donaldson big foot ate them all :whistle:lol.

If you have never been there take a gps and go a couple of time during the day to kinda get the fill for the place real easy to get turned around

6. OughtSix

OughtSix Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Very true! Not that this happened to me recently or anything, but I did download a GPS application the next day! :fit:

If you don't own a gps, dont bother going out. :up:

There are some good deer in there, but they seem harder to hunt than anywhere I've ever been locally.

7. Red Oak

Thanks guys, is the part that runs through Randolph county any good!

8. mossyhorn

mossyhorn Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine hunts it alot. He has seen some really big deer there 140's and up. I really wouldnt even trust a gps. Get some arial maps, a reg map and a good compass. Scout it from the air as much as you can. Stay away from the places that are easy to access if your looking for big deer. Try hitting the back of it, on the other side of DD from brookins.

Good luck and try not to get lost. I dont use a gps, just the things i mentioned above.....but I ALWAYS pack an MRE and stuff to build a fire just in case.:biggrin:

9. OughtSix

Sometimes the biggest deer are within foresight...hence rural bucks being so large. Leaving the supposed, beaten path isn't always the best advice. DD doesn't get hunted enough to really cause pressure IMO.

10. SKEETER

SKEETER Well-Known Member

NE AR
    Hunting that place late is almost as tuff as hunting it early.

11. bottmhtr

bottmhtr Well-Known Member

Have hunted it qute a bit. I agree with the others make sure u take a compass and a gps. I never go in without a compass esp on a cloudy day. Very few landmarks. The areas that have easier access do get hit harder. If you have a boat that is a good way to hunt it. gives u access to a lot more area. Many landowners wont let u cross their property to access it. I have not hunted it much since the ice storm, still very hard to get around in there. Goood luck.

12. mossyhorn

mossyhorn Well-Known Member

DD bucks are nothing like suburban bucks IMO. I hunt them both but suburban bucks more. As soon as the pressure is on they head to the thickest most secluded area they can find on DD.

13. Red Oak

Thanks all the help is appreciated!!

14. OughtSix

If your not ready to walk, then don't bother going btw...cuz the brush will wear your legs plum out!