Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remman and I (and our families) got back Monday from our annual trek to a friend's cabin up in Dublin (upper end of Lake Dardanelle).

Put lines 4 out Saturday mid-day and tried an experiment - strips of aluminum cans with a small chunk of Ivory soap.

While we were not impressed when we did the first official baiting at 10:30 that evening, we did have a few fish on (2-3lbs) including one on a Berkely twist-tail bass jig we had put on for grins and giggles...

Anyway - baited up with goldfish and let them soak for a couple of hours while we poll fished for a little while. Checked the lines around 1:30. Brought back 20 keepers one of which was over 10 lbs (has to be at least 2 lbs for us to keep them - we get tired of cleaning dinks!). The run at daylight I didn't go on, but Remman and our "host" who's cabin did. They brought back another 17 which brought the first day's haul to 40. Average was close to 4 lbs.

Sunday evening, I guess the others thought we had enough (and one fellow had a headache), so the lines only got baited at about 1:30 am (because the boat I was in out poll fishing had no idea the other boat which was suppose to bait up decided to just go to bed (Remman)....:smack:

So we got them baited late and then checked them at around 7 AM. Brought back 14 keepers I believe (threw back a bunch less than 2.5-3 lbs). By then last two, the electric knife I was using had become about crazy dull and the motor started smoking!

Anyway - was a fun weekend, although we didn't poll fish anywhere near as much as we usually do (and I would have preferred to do). But we have fish in the freezer. Only one flathead this year - about 4 lbs. Just over half of the total catch was made up of blues, the rest channels. Used goldfish exclusively on the trotlines. This was the first year that we have not used any shad. I guess we didn't need too!:thumb:

Lake dropped about 10 inches Saturday, came back up a couple of inches Monday morning.

·
Super Moderator
9,915 Posts
Not bad...Dardanelle is my stomping grounds, what are you flatlanders doing over there catching all of my fish? :thumb:

Sounds like you had an awesome weekened on the lake. I bet you'll have an even more awesome fish fry!

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have been blessed with fellow church members with fish farms (primarily goldfish). They never ask for anything in return, but we usually offer them some bags of fillets. Sometimes they accept, sometimes not.

·
Super Moderator
9,915 Posts
We have been blessed with fellow church members with fish farms (primarily goldfish). They never ask for anything in return, but we usually offer them some bags of fillets. Sometimes they accept, sometimes not.
Lucky. Gettin the hook-up beats buying bait any day!:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.