Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 videos at the end of the season last year, and I guess I've watched about half of each. I'm disgusted!
I dont think a single hunt took place on either (K&H and Primos) without their full-strut decoy: Bob, B-Mobil, Purty Boy, whatever... These videos have always been like big commercials, but this was ridiculous! I cant handle it anymore. If I see one of these decoys out in the woods, I think I'm gonna have to kick it, but then the idiot who emptied his wallet on it would probably shoot me.
Just had to vent a little. Guess next time I have to kill time waiting for season to open, I'll reread the Tenth Legion instead.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
haha, i think i got the same primos video where the debuted B-Mobile. I can't blame a company trying to make money, but jesus....every hunt had "thank god b-mobile, she did her job," blah, etc..its not as the Larry Potterfield from MidwayUSA commercials.."thanks for da business." I really do like watching the Primos guys, especially Brad Farris, he seams like a no BS kind of guy.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Well since I don't have a mentor to take me and teach me different calls of when and why, what a good setup area looks like, the what and whys of turkey hunting, I have had to rely on videos and books to gather my information and of course trial and error, mostly error. I have been calling with yelps on a mouth call for years during early bowseason and even went turkey hunting a time or two years ago. About 4 years ago I decided to give it a real try since the lease I was on had a good population and few hunters. I don't know whether it was good fortune or a curse but I killed my limit three years in a row and now I am an addict. My dad taught me right from wrong about hunter ethics, I learned woodsmanship from running a trapline and hunting by myself from the time I was 10 years old. But these turkeys do things to make you doubt yourself. So until some old turkey hunter takes me underwing I am stuck with videos and books and will have to put up with the commercials.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So until some old turkey hunter takes me underwing I am stuck with videos and books and will have to put up with the commercials.
Hey, I would love to see some videos that were educational.
The fact of the matter is, if you've already killed 6 birds, you're not going to learn anything from the 2 videos that I watched.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
those videos make me sick. walk out in the woods, yelp once or twice, and turkeys come running in. Then they body shoot the bird. Simple as that.

I am no expert on turkey hunting and have learned mostly from trial and error but i am glad i have not fallen for stupidness of some of those videos out there

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
The frustrating thing about hunting and fishing videos and shows is that they make it look so easy. They show a whole week of hunting or fishing in the prime spots in a thirty minute capsule. They get access to the prime "deer farm" or "turkey plantation" that has been well managed. Or get to fish in the private, stocked, well-managed lakes and really slay'em using the top of the line equipment. It's a far cry from hunting on public land or lakes or even decent private land and lakes. I still watch them hoping to pick up some knowledge, though.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like primos: mastering the art, especially the turkey series.
That's part of what ticked me off so bad... I generally like Primos videos fairly well. Their's was the worst. I did not see a single hunt on that video without Bob or B-Mobile.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I hope that you all don't think that these guys on some of these videos have it that simple as walking in the woods, yelp and the turkeys come running. I can promise you it's not even that easy for them. The biggest thing you have to take into consideration is the amount of time you have to entertain an audience and keep their attention. Thus, these videos are normally no longer than a couple of hours long with numerous hunts. If they sold a tape or dvd that lasted the entire length of the hunt, you'd be buying tapes that were numerous hours long and with only one hunt. They only put on the tape, the highlights of the hunt, the part that is entertaining. That is why they have editors. They cut so much of the "non entertaining" stuff out. Now granted they do have areas they pay outfitters and lots more private property that has been managed for nothing but wildlife. But it's not as easy as wham, bam, thank you ma'am. And those guys are paid to show results. They aren't in that business just for the hunting. Although it is a huge perk! :thumb: As far as "advertising" their products on there, that is another means of how they get paid. You have to remember, they are in business just like us. Selling those $75 full strut turkeys is a means of their salary. But that is the best thing about living in our great U.S A.....we all have the right to make our own choices. They have the choice to make a hunting video and try to sell their products and we, as consumers, have the choice to purchase their video or not. :biggrin:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didnt have much going on at lunch, so I stopped in Sportsman's Whorehouse, and there he was... B-mobile! A full display. I held back my contemp enough not to kick him, but I did notice the $70 price tag. WOW! No wonder they're pushing that thing so hard!
The very next display on the aisle? Carry-lite, regular jake decoy... $5.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
has anyone thought about doing a hunting series on public land?
I dont really think they need to go that far, although it would be a neat idea. A lot of my older videos contained some public land footage.
I just wish they would maybe give a little insight to the strategy of their hunt. I really dont even mind them pushing their products, but these strut decoy videos were over the top!

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
Every time you watch a hunting show your IQ score drops. Same goes with Reality TV shows, and anything on MTV.

I watch Movies, MASH, and Andy Griffith reruns!~:thumb:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
has anyone thought about doing a hunting series on public land?
That's an interesting point that I've always thought about. I'd like to see how some of these "experts" would do on public ground. A man who can kill gobblers consistently on public land, including leases, is a heck of a hunter, and I know several.

·
Registered
626 Posts
That's an interesting point that I've always thought about. I'd like to see how some of these "experts" would do on public ground. A man who can kill gobblers consistently on public land, including leases, is a heck of a hunter, and I know several.
There used to be a show on called "The Do It Yourself Hunter" or something like that. I really enjoyed watching that show, they traveled around to different states hunting public land. I guess they went out of business. :smack:

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
haha, i think i got the same primos video where the debuted B-Mobile. I can't blame a company trying to make money, but jesus....every hunt had "thank god b-mobile, she did her job," blah, etc..its not as the Larry Potterfield from MidwayUSA commercials.."thanks for da business." I really do like watching the Primos guys, especially Brad Farris, he seams like a no BS kind of guy.

haha i knw...I'm larry potterfield for midway usa, and thanks for the business, or thats the way it is....OMG I want to kill that guy...HAHA~!

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
Every time you watch a hunting show your IQ score drops. Same goes with Reality TV shows, and anything on MTV.

I watch Movies, MASH, and Andy Griffith reruns!~:thumb:

Bruin, you don't watch hunting videos, and you are posting on Arkansas Hunting Why? Please explain this to me.....i do agree with the andy griffith reruns...haha they are amazing

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Tred Barta does hunts on public land.

You guys need to go back into the archives and find some of the first videos that Cuz Strickland and Toxy Haas with Mossy Oak did, as well as the first videos that Will Primos put out. They didn't always hunt in the deer and turkey "meccas" that you guys are speaking of. They've put in their time. So now they get to hunt the best ground on the planet and put it on a DVD for you to buy. If you don't like their "commercials" don't buy them. But please don't buy their product and grip about their hunting methods. If you want to be gone from your family 350 days out of the year so you can put out films of your hunts more power to you. I don't think its worth the sacrifice so I'll just watch them do it on T.V.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts