Dang it!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by possum, Jan 9, 2011.

1. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I'm off tomorrow and thought "Hey, I'll go down the road and call some yotes in the morning." Well, I went to gathering things and tore the man-cave apart trying to find my caller....no luck. I called my son to see if he knew where it was, his reply "Yeah, it's in the backseat of my truck."

He's in Conway. :banghead:

2. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

Well that bites. I hope we get quite a bit of snow. I would love to call em through a white field. Do they respond better when the snows on?

3. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

That sucks! I went this evening and when I turned my caller on guess what......dead battery!:banghead: It is on the charger for in the morning though.

4. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

Harder for them to find food.

5. possum

I was thinking I could see them easier with the snow, don't know if they respond better. I've got a mouth call, some kinda tube that came with a CD (neither of which I've figured out yet) and a squeaker.

6. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

Just give'm the old die'n possum call.

7. Cjdavis618

Cjdavis618 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are a bit easier to see coming in that way. Also easier for trappers to find the active trails.

It is also easier to see those sneaky kitty cats coming in.

Problem is, also easier to see us hunting them too.

8. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

Im going to give it a whirl tomorrow afternoon. Im hooked on this. I cant wait! :up:

9. possum

Sooooooo....who wants to come pick me up. :biggrin:

10. Cjdavis618

Go for it. They will be hungry. They have to eat to keep the energy reserves up. They will be out in force when this lets up tomorrow.

11. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

They were sure out tonight, I was driving home from town and had a yote running across one of our fields. I will get him in a day or two, they never make it long around my house if they are out in the daylight.

12. Cjdavis618

Where you at Possum, I'll come get you. I know some ground in the conway area we can try. :thumb:

13. possum

Wish my phone was louder, I would use it.

14. MissUL8R

MissUL8R Active Member

I sure would like to try it, but not really wanting to spend the money on equipment if its not something i like. The callers seam like they would be expensive.

Btw what rifle would be best to use .270 Bolt, .25-06, or .223 the last two are single shots.

Thanks Mike
    :confused:

15. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

Ya'll need to keep a few diaphrams in your pockets as backups when batts
    go dead or you leave your caller in your son's truck.

16. possum

Problem with that is I can't use a diaphragm call, I've tried a bunch of different styles and sizes (turkey calls) and they just won't set in the roof of my mouth. :shrug:

And I didn't leave it in his truck, he borrowed it one day when he was off work and failed to put it back where he got it....imagine that. :smack:

17. that sucks, sorry for ya.

18. possum

Dang....how did I miss this?

I would guess any of them would work pretty well. :thumb:

I got up this morning and went for a walk, just carried the tube (I figured out I could make a bark with the tube) and squeaker. Just slip along the edges trying to watch and glass for movement out ahead of me while stopping occasionally to bark and squeak. Seen a couple early but they showed no interest and wasn't having anything to do with it, about 11 or so I'm headed toward the house and see one in trot across the field from and I do the belly flop. OK, I've been walking since about 7 and haven't done nothing, if I can stop him he's getting shot. I'm about 50 yards into a 40 and he's about 1/2 across the next 40 so I'm figuring about 600 yards, I lay on the squeaker and he stops, throws his head up and looks. Guess I should of held about a foot/foot and a half higher, I blew the snow up right at his feet....game over, he wins. :banghead:

PS, the belly flop was a bad idea. I'm just now thawing out.

19. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

all of those would be good on yotes.

20. J870sm

J870sm Well-Known Member

My son didn't put my caller or my truck back where he got it and he still hasn't. He has also taken 2 of my AR's to have in my truck with my callers. Funny thing is he argues vehemently that the AR's and the caller are his. So far he has mysteriously ended up owning one of my O/U's, one of my Kimber 1911's, a Ruger 44mag SBH with Bisley grips and a browning 22. I am pretty sure these are mine but he says I am senile and he almost has me convinced:eek:. At least he takes care of his things and he always returns my truck with a full tank of gas. Last time he borrowed it for an extended amount of time he put new tires on the back for me. He is a great kid and I am fortunate to have him. He just turned 18 on the 5th.