cypress bayou/holland bottoms

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by bamafett, Dec 6, 2012.

1. bamafett

bamafett Member

Beebe
    Has anyone ever duck hunted in Cypress Bayou/Holland Bottoms? Looking for someplace close to snag a few.

2. koolaide187

koolaide187 Active Member

White
    Never hunted Cypress Bayou but I checked it out yesterday. Not enough water on it yet. We need rain!

3. bamafett

bamafett Member

Beebe
    Looks like water level on ditches rose some over night.

4. rosco p

rosco p Well-Known Member

cabot
    I have hunted cypress on multiple occasions. Its only good when you got knee deep water from the lower parkin area...and even then i would not call it good. Dont expect more than a few shots to be fired ever. Its just not great duck habitat.

5. rosco p

rosco p Well-Known Member

cabot
    also it depends on drainage so water will be in it one day and completely gone the next.

6. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom Well-Known Member

Better head north of BB to get into any real amount of ducks....

Cypress Bayou = Fast rise, equally as fast fall..... Although the Bayou is out of its banks right now by Saturday there will be no water to go along with the no ducks! :up:

7. thomasw_lrd

thomasw_lrd Well-Known Member

I've foun some places to duck hunt at Holland bottoms. I thought of trying to jump shoot a few Sunday morning.

8. bamafett

bamafett Member

Beebe
    Whereabouts do you go for holland bottoms? I've heard there are a few wood ducks.

9. mevans_91

mevans_91 Well-Known Member

Ward
    I killed my first duck at cypress bayou..wood duck drake..like the others have said, the water will come in one day and be gone the next unless we get quite a bit of rain then it will hold a few days longer..I have never seen just a ton of ducks there but it has been known to hold a few. Hope this helps!

10. buck n duck

buck n duck Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winner

Guys be careful at Holland Bottoms. Be sure to stay out of the rest area!

11. bullcreekboy

bullcreekboy Well-Known Member

Still very little water in either place. Holland Bottoms has some sloughs holding water thanks to beavers, but main ditches were mopped out earlier this year with a track hoe.

12. thomasw_lrd

It's almost impossible to get to the rest area at holland bottom. It's much easier at bell slough

13. thomasw_lrd

I've never actually duck hunted before, but follow the creeks all the way back about 2 miles and there are some beaver ponds. They look like good spots to me.

14. phnxdrvr

phnxdrvr Active Member

I've hunted on the back side of Holland Bottoms near a bridge and private land. It was a long walk, might of even been close to a power line (been quite a few years), but we did pretty good. The woods were flooded real nice and the Green heads worked really well.

15. phnxdrvr

phnxdrvr Active Member

Just googled earthed the spot, parking lot off of Graham road, walked in the powerline and it was flooded into those woods. Take a look over there. Google earth it, it was good for us some years ago

16. Panfish

Panfish Well-Known Member

Cabot
    If that has water ill be SUPRISED!!

17. duck hunter41

duck hunter41 Well-Known Member

cabot
    Holland bottoms is dry.

18. duckboy32

duckboy32 Well-Known Member

Cabot
    agree, theres a few woodies, but i mean a very few, didnt hear but a few shots today. i thought about going in there in the morning, i just dont feel like its worth my time and effort yet.