Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time grasping the fact that CWD is as widespread as we have discovered in the state with such a high infection rate. I'm normally objective and try not to blame game and fish, but there's a lot of frustration I can't seem to overcome, and it's toward them. Today they announced more positive CWD samples.

I saw on Facebook that they have tested 7000 deer In the last 18 years. Statistically they should have found this thing in a matter of 2-5 years. From what I've read on the disease it's been here quite a long time.

When they first announced the discovery of CWD they were all up in arms defending bringing in the elk herd. There was no way possible they introduced it because it's been almost 30 years and they would have found it by now.....

REALLY? Would they?

At the time they didn't expect the results they're getting now. I also read that HALF of the roadkill deer they're testing are showing positive. So had they tested two or three roadkill deer In those two counties in the last... What ten years? They would have found it.

I'm not saying they brought it here, but it was their job to manage the deer herd, monitor it, and protect it from CWD. This is the first time I've truly felt they they were completely incompetent regarding an aspect of the wildlife in the state. I know many will disagree to that point but I think their biologist objectives are to provide quality habitat for all wildlife, not necessarily our hunting.

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
I am having a hard time grasping the fact that CWD is as widespread as we have discovered in the state with such a high infection rate. I'm normally objective and try not to blame game and fish, but there's a lot of frustration I can't seem to overcome, and it's toward them. Today they announced more positive CWD samples.

I saw on Facebook that they have tested 7000 deer In the last 18 years. Statistically they should have found this thing in a matter of 2-5 years. From what I've read on the disease it's been here quite a long time.

When they first announced the discovery of CWD they were all up in arms defending bringing in the elk herd. There was no way possible they introduced it because it's been almost 30 years and they would have found it by now.....

REALLY? Would they?

At the time they didn't expect the results they're getting now. I also read that HALF of the roadkill deer they're testing are showing positive. So had they tested two or three roadkill deer In those two counties in the last... What ten years? They would have found it.

I'm not saying they brought it here, but it was their job to manage the deer herd, monitor it, and protect it from CWD. This is the first time I've truly felt they they were completely incompetent regarding an aspect of the wildlife in the state. I know many will disagree to that point but I think their biologist objectives are to provide quality habitat for all wildlife, not necessarily our hunting.
You are not alone - many of us have felt "frustration" with G&F - in fact, that description is being kind. Yes, they failed to do their job not finding it quicker than they did.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
What is the possibility that controlled burns, in areas affected with CWD, would kill the prions and keep it from spreading so fast? That may have been addressed some where but I missed it if it was. Surely if the elk had it when they were introduced it would have shown up before now. I figure that someone brought an infected deer or elk carcass home from some other state and that is how we wound up with it. But the deer biologist's should have been watching for this when it was discovered in other states...d2

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
In my opinion there is nothing the AGFC could have done to prevent it from coming here. They tried to make us bury the carcasses of deer, They banned importation of cervid bones. That was their effort.
They can't stop animals that are living in an open environment from migrating or travelling. Predators and carrion eaters spread the prions after eating infected animals.
The AGFC has taken a lot of things I enjoyed doing away from me , I'm not generally happy with them. But I don't think they could have done anything to prevent this. Unless the elk had it and they knew and concealed and ignored it. I don't think that is the case.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the possibility that controlled burns, in areas train m with CWD, would kill the prions and keep it from spreading so fast? That may have been addressed some where but I missed it if it was. Surely if the elk had it when they were introduced it would have shown up before now. I figure that someone brought an infected deer or elk carcass home from some other state and that is how we wound up with it. But the deer biologist's should have been watching for this when it was discovered in other states...d2
That was my train of thought, until I read about CWD . It's A slow spreading disease. This stuff easily could have been here for the past twenty years as widespread as it is.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my opinion there is nothing the AGFC could have done to prevent it from coming here. They tried to make us bury the carcasses of deer, They banned importation of cervid bones. That was their effort.
They can't stop animals that are living in an open environment from migrating or travelling. Predators and carrion eaters spread the prions after eating infected animals.
The AGFC has taken a lot of things I enjoyed doing away from me , I'm not generally happy with them. But I don't think they could have done anything to prevent this. Unless the elk had it and they knew and concealed and ignored it. I don't think that is the case.
I agree they can't prevent it but they should have known it was here.

·
Super Moderator
9,495 Posts
Studies are showing that the elk are more resistant to the CWD infection than deer. Also the incubation period from infection to showing clinical disease symptoms tends to be longer in the elk.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am frustrated with this as well but I don't know if it's fair to blame the G&F given that CWD still is a bit of an unknown as far as actual causes and treatment, prevention plans haven't seemed to work. I think my frustration here is more with science and there still being so many uncertainties about the disease. I think research needs to be improved on the causes and possible prevention as well as the possibility of a potential cure (which seems unlikely at this point).
I think the AGFC has dropped the ball to a point but for the most part every state agency has.....
I'm mainly disappointed that they haven't brought in Dr. Kroll and other leading "experts" to form a plan of attack by now.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm not frustrated about that because it's an incurable disease as of now. The issue I have is that it's been here for a really long time and it's gone unnoticed.
and I think that point is worth repeating... if it's gone unnoticed, then maybe it may not be that old adage of "the sky is falling".
I know it's not good, but it's waaaaay to early in the process to go into panic mode.... just look at the CWD map and it does appear that in most states CWD seems to be geographically isolated, so MAYBE (I HOPE) it isn't as widespread as we all fear it is....

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
This is the first time I've truly felt they they were completely incompetent regarding an aspect of the wildlife in the state.
really ?

They implemented a 3 point rule most didn't want. They ignored declining turkey populations for what, 5-7 years, making excuses why there were fewer killed birds and their solution was to ban fall turkey season? ridiculous if the deer kill is down, its almost always due to a late rut, or warm weather or people not hunting hard enough, or flooding ..... the AG&F are masters at ignoring G&F issues and have shown it over and over

now they do good - they have had great success in some things, no doubt ... but those elk had CWD, its spread for 30 years and you see the results of it right now and I truly believe they've known about it for at least 7-10 years and just covered it up

·
Registered
30,666 Posts
really ?

They implemented a 3 point rule most didn't want.
That was a rule that the overwhelming majority of Arkansas deer hunters practically screamed for in 1997. Your memory is too short.

The majority may not want it now, but they dang sure did back then!

·
Grand Member<br> 2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest W
3,298 Posts
That was a rule that the overwhelming majority of Arkansas deer hunters practically screamed for in 1997. Your memory is too short.

The majority may not want it now, but they dang sure did back then!
I guess I am the minority -- did not want it then and do not want it now. Most ridiculous regulation ever implemented in this state for deer.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Anyone else find it very coincidental that the director of the AGFC announces retirement on or around 2/18. Then on 2/23 we get CWD conformation. Seems to me someone knew what was coming.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.