Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to rant about this. Just had my baby girl a little over a month ago. Decided this weekend to set a trotline to keep from going stir crazy in the house. Took my friend and his son, who is 8, to try and get him some outdoor experience as well. Baited my line last night and go back this morning to find my line cut 2ft from the bank. What is the point of screwing up someone's chance to get out of the house and messing up a kid's first time running lines? To whomever cut it karma is a bad mother, hope it comes along pretty quick for ya!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Bass Boys not all but most cut them every time they find one........But don't they look pretty in that $30,000+ running 60mph+..........LOL....get out of my way I am important low life catfish-er-man........

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Yep. Bass fisherman are known for cutting lines cause it snags their pretty lil lures up.
I had two lines cut. I quit running trotlines on the river for that reason.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I like bass fishing as much as anyone. I own hundreds of dollars in lures but I would never, as a fisherman, mess with someone else's fishing tackle be it a $300 rod and reel or a trot line. That crap is unacceptable.

If you snag your jig or worm....tough. I think setting some lines to put fish in the freezer is a little bit more important than spending all day fishing for fish your are just gonna release anyway.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I've had guys cut my lines then tell me they did it... If they feel like it's too close to "their spot" or bass fisherman getting hung up.. Normally not the latter, I don't suspend my lines... Normally they're along the bottom.

So now days I don't use floaters on them, just hide them as best I can and remember where they're at.

·
Super Moderator
13,148 Posts
Doesn't sound real likely that it might have gotten in somebody's trolling motor that close to the bank, but it does happen. I have had run-ins with the trolling motor before and had no choice but to cut the line on shallow water sets. Hate it happened to you. Splice that line back together and catch some fish!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guess I've been fortunate with my lines. I run them in the Arkansas River mostly and I don't think I've ever had one messed with. I tie my lines high enough they are obvious and a fisherman can tell exactly which way they are running. Maybe this helps keep 'em out of them or maybe they think its so obvious it must be a 'set-up' of some sort.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Messing with peoples lines is dangerous behavior if you get caught by the wrong person. Some people view it the same way as robbing them face to face or stealing out of their house. They won't call the law to make it right either. The simple rule is to leave other peoples stuff alone.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Most of the Bass fisherman I know don't cut trot lines when they find them unless they are really old and you can tell haven't been used. I have cut a few of those myself and YO YO's that were left out with dead fish on them . Not to many guys are Bass fishing at night this time of year to be hanging into someone else's line . As someone else said it could have got in a prop of a motor or something unintentionally . Hope you get to take the kids back out and make some great memories . NO matter what type of boat we are in we should be courteous to others fishing , I have a bass boat but I have never forgot my days of paddling a jon boat around growing up and running lines and cane pole fishing .

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Most of the Bass fisherman I know don't cut trot lines when they find them unless they are really old and you can tell haven't been used. I have cut a few of those myself and YO YO's that were left out with dead fish on them . Not to many guys are Bass fishing at night this time of year to be hanging into someone else's line . As someone else said it could have got in a prop of a motor or something unintentionally . Hope you get to take the kids back out and make some great memories . NO matter what type of boat we are in we should be courteous to others fishing , I have a bass boat but I have never forgot my days of paddling a jon boat around growing up and running lines and cane pole fishing .
X2

I've cut two on the saline that were old. Hadn't been ran in who knows how long. Also took a blue cat off a noodle tht was hung in a brush pile on a lake that had a hole the size of a bottle cap in its top jaw from being on there so long. Algae on the noodle. Turned him loose and he wouldn't swim off

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I ran a line across the Saline River once and had it cut on both sides of the bank. I tied a treble hook and a heavy weight on to my pole and snagged the line in the middle of the river. I caught three fish on that line. I'm sure it was a bass fisherman who did it, because there were several fishing in the area. But they didn't riin my day on that occasion. I got the last laugh.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I always use a heavy weight before the first drop and black main line. I have never had one cut or taken. I taken a bunch of Trotlines over the years. I lived on a lake during college and fished everyday. If I saw one out and not baited for over a week I would pick it up. Same way with yoyos.

It seems like every big cold front someone would live a bunch of yoyos and a trotline and never come back. I've seen fish on yoyos for two days. I would just take all of them up.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I would never cut someone's line. This would mean I have more right in an area than someone else. I don't have any more right than any other fisherman. If you're there first with your trot line, you own that area, it's not the only square feet on the lake. I haven't run a trot line in I don't know how long but I don't care what kind of fishing I was doing, or, what kind of fisherman I thought I was, I would never cut another mans line. That's just being a sissy. Sissy is not my first word of choice, but it is acceptable. Being inconvenienced by someone legally pursuing game, albeit different from you is no excuse.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
I would never cut someone's line. This would mean I have more right in an area than someone else. I don't have any more right than any other fisherman. If you're there first with your trot line, you own that area, it's not the only square feet on the lake. I haven't run a trot line in I don't know how long but I don't care what kind of fishing I was doing, or, what kind of fisherman I thought I was, I would never cut another mans line. That's just being a sissy. Sissy is not my first word of choice, but it is acceptable. Being inconvenienced by someone legally pursuing game, albeit different from you is no excuse.
Leaving lines for weeks without running them isn't legal, and in your terms no excuse. I have had a trot line cut as well that we were running every few hrs! Big difference. I don't care what or how people fish but that isn't fishing. That's lazy!

Whetherit 's baited or not,it's going to snag hook fish, turtles and everything else.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
As long as lines are hung and run within the rules of the state, your inconvenience is of no concern. Lines that have obviously been abandoned for an extended period of time, I could see something happening to them. I don't think these are the lines that we're being talked about. This is more of an attitude difference in fishing than doing a service for the fishing community as a whole by eliminating abandoned lines.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
As long as lines are hung and run within the rules of the state, your inconvenience is of no concern. Lines that have obviously been abandoned for an extended period of time, I could see something happening to them. I don't think these are the lines that we're being talked about. This is more of an attitude difference in fishing than doing a service for the fishing community as a whole by eliminating abandoned lines.
Definitely abandoned.

:fit:

·
Registered
21,935 Posts
I'm not 100% anti-trot lines, but guys you can go all over the banks of Norfork and Bull Shoals and find trot lines that have left out for YEARS - my biggest fear when I snorkeled/spearfished was to get hung on one.

So many people just leave them - limb lines too.

I especially hate allowing them on Buffalo River :censored:

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
I'm not 100% anti-trot lines, but guys you can go all over the banks of Norfork and Bull Shoals and find trot lines that have left out for YEARS - my biggest fear when I snorkeled/spearfished was to get hung on one.

So many people just leave them - limb lines too.

I especially hate allowing them on Buffalo River :censored:
Agreed

Yea old lines everywhere but I'm the bad guy if I dispose of them:fit:

I'm all for people putting them out and running them! When they are to lazy to pick them back up and do something with them is when I have the problem.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts