Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like someone advertised here once that they did custom boat / fiberglass painting ?

I've got an older Shawnee 22' river boat that needs something, the fiberglass is faded.

Anyone know anyone maybe ?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
If it has no bad spots just buff it with a fine buffing compound and it will shine like a new one. Fiberglass is always chalking and becoming dull due to the sun .......:biggrin:...if you have spots that need patching fix them and then Gel-coat it........good as new.........:razz:....you can paint them but unless you clean it real good with acetone and sand it lightly it won't stick. clean, sand, clean then paint.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
My fil used to have a boat repair shop so I can say for sure that a custom paint job on a boat is terribly expensive. Unless there is actual damage to the gel coat, you could just buff it to a shine. If you realy want a custom job, clean and buff the finish and find someone who does boat wraps. That is what the pros do with thier boats. They are not custom paint jobs, but wraps. Someone told me that Quicksilver Signs in Jacksonville may be able to print a wrap. Then you would need to find a boat repair shop or body shop to apply it to your boat. You may be able to do it yourself but that could be an expensive experiment if you made a mistake.

I believe that Mother's makes a kit for cleaning and polishing boats.

·
Registered
647 Posts
As it has been said before - Clean, Buff, Wax, Clean and see what you have.

It may or may not help, but that is a cheap way to see how bad your finish has become.

If that is not what you want, the paint industry has come a long way with paints that are designed to stick to fiberglass, and some that are easy to apply by the do-it-yourselfers. But you will need to sand, clean, and wipe down really well before applying the paint if you want it to stick.

What do you want to boat to look like when you are finished? With that in mind, you can start the process.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Clear Coat

I am taking My 92 Nitro to the shop on Monday. I bought it used and I dont think it was ever under a cover. The Metal flake is very hard to see when the boat is dry thats how bad the finish is. The shop I am taking it to said when they get finished it should look like new. In Hot Springs R & M paint and Body shop. Is the name. I will post before and after pics when I get it back. There is also a fiberglass repair shop in Hot Springs that is all he does. Scotts Marine Repair. He seems to be alittle high but depending on what you want he might be the one to take it to. i have seen his work and it is amazing. He does lots of drag racing custom boats. With me I am not expecting miracles I just want the boat protected from further deteriation. I am also installing new carpets and seats in my boat seats from Nickolson upholstery in Pine Bluff and I am doing carpets myself. I hope this helps.:biggrin:
:flag:Thanks to our troops overseas!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.