Current Deer Season just set a new record!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 4hunting, Dec 22, 2010.

1. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Looks like this current deer season, by the numbers posted, has allready exceeded last years record harvest.

Current Harvest number have the total kill at 170,652 with season yet to finish. Last years total was 170,512

This year harvest numbers include to date:
    Antlered---79,692 to date Last year-----83,086 total
    Button-----13,122 to date Last year-----14,046 total
    Doe--------77,838 to date Last year-----73,380 total

Top deer producing county---Union---6373 currently checked
    Lowest producing county----Mississippi---148 currenty checked

Here is a link to the real time site:
    https://www.ark.org/agfc/gamecheck/reports.php

2. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

Glad to see the buck vs doe harvest numbers getting a little closer together. 2009 10,000 more bucks than does. That ain't good

3. n2deer

n2deer Well-Known Member

Wow mississippi county only had that many checked in, there are some nice bucks on big lake.

4. Greyhound

Greyhound Well-Known Member

Wonder if the doe numbers increased this year as a result of less bucks being taken?

5. thomasw_lrd

thomasw_lrd Well-Known Member

Wonder if the five deer limit helped to increase doe numbers?

6. mossburger

mossburger Well-Known Member

im becoming convinced (know several people who manage deer on large acre tracts) that killing off more does is going to drop overall deer numbers-to a level that we wont like.

I know wild life biologists will say otherwise :razz:

7. Vetrock

Vetrock Well-Known Member

If you look at all of those reports more closely, you'll see some interesting fact. Archery hunters are much more likely to kill a doe. Gun hunters wait until Thanksgiving to shoot does.

8. davglo35

davglo35 Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi

Union county leads in total numbers but you have to look at the size of the county. Clark, Bradley, and Columbia are just as good if not better due to their smaller size. What is really surprising is the Clark county numbers. Considering that the Northern part of the county is mountainous, the southern part was obviously loaded with deer. I lived in Clark county for 31 years and still go there to hunt turkey. It will always be home to me.

9. menobuks

menobuks Well-Known Member

Man, most folks i'm talking to down here have had the worse year ever! I know I did! I saw 1 legal buck while hunting. I had heard that it was a record year but it is hard to believe!:head:

10. Levee Hunter

Levee Hunter Well-Known Member

Neither is the 13,000 plus button bucks that were killed.

11. n2deer

n2deer Well-Known Member

I bet them button bucks are good eatin though.

12. Levee Hunter

Levee Hunter Well-Known Member

So is a doe, and there's a heck of a lot more of them running around than bucks.

13. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

Yea, what do they know about herd management? :smack:

I cant believe some of the things I read on here sometimes. I really cant.

14. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    You wanna make an omelet, you gotta break a few eggs.

I did some math on a button buck hater thread a few months ago... Arkansas had lower (or at least comparable) button buck harvest (as % to total) than any of the "model" deer states I could find data for.

15. megabucks

megabucks Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner

very hard to believe, everyone i know hasnt killed hardly anything or even seen any bucks all year.I know it has been the worst year i have seen for seeing bucks.

16. michale34

michale34 Well-Known Member

this is the worst year I have had in a long time. i havent seen anything in dallas county.

17. Hobbshunter

NWA
    This is a great year, but the state record was in 1999 - 194,687.

18. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

Im glad to see we are keeping after those button bucks. I wouldnt want them to get a toe-hold.

19. Hobbshunter

NWA
    :fit:

My grandpappy always told me "Once a button-buck, always a button-buck." I tell you this, Arkansas could really be a big buck state if we'd pull our head's out of our :censored: and start shooting all those buttons.

20. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Thank you Hobbs! Took awile for someone to post what I wanted said to make a point. You are correct, that is the "Official Benchmark" record for harvest in the state of Arkansas. Here is the reason why it was pharsed that why.

That "Official Benchmark Record" was set back when we could hunt the entire deer herd, no APR's on bucks, we had far less season days in order to hunt as compaired to now, even doe's were even allowed to be taken duing this time also. Now, by the official harvest numbers, we are getting close to that benchmark number again, but doing so under more restrictive conditions. Even with the reduction in the ability of being able to harvest from the entire herd today we, as of right now are just 24,062 less than that total record and this current season still has 2 more months left to go. That number may draw even closer before it is over. This new record I referred to is a record set for harvest numbers post 3 point APR when people are having to hunt a restricted part of the herd.

People need to realize that if the total numbers taken are starting to become close to the same, even if the whole herd is not avaiable to hunt as it once was, the extra is having to come from another part of the herd still allowed for it to be taken from. With out the ability to take deer out of the whole herd as it was when the benchmark record was set, that which is being taken now has to be taken from the allowed part of it, so by the rule itself people are forced to harvest the buttons, the more mature bucks & the doe's. That's what folks need to start taking notice of.

IMO, if we do not watch what is going on here we will end up causing alot more damage to many others area's of the herd by putting added pressure on those in the pursuit of somes wants in just one specific area of the herd. It is just as simple as this, the more you move weight from one side of the scale the more un-balanced it will become. There has to be counterbalance's put into place somewhere to offset this, if not the whole thing may fall!