Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to buy a pistol today and as I was filling out the paperwork I mentioned that I had moved from the address that was on my driver's license 3 years ago. They took the gun away from me and told me I had to get a new drivers license with the correct address before I could buy the gun. I have never heard of this before. As a matter of fact I have bought multiple guns from this place in the past years and they just told me to write in my old address. Is this something new or is some agency cracking down on this kind of thing. If I would have known I wouldn't have said a word and just bought my gun.

·
Premium Member
14,381 Posts
Lol...I'm sorry, but it took me a while to figure out how you'd order a fireMAN.

·
Registered
32,653 Posts
I almost got denied once because my zipcode changed.
When they done the background check their dtatbase had updated before I even knew my zipcode had changed.

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
I was with my buddy buying a new shotgun at Walmart not long after we graduated college and he still had his parents address on his DL. They wouldn't let him buy the gun. So we just went across town to the other Walmart and he just told them the address was current and they let him buy it. The easy solution would be to get a current DL which you should have done 2.5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
14,381 Posts
I was denied at Cabelas once because there was a one letter descepancy between my DL and my CCP. One letter...and "s" at the end of a street name.

I chalked it up to the guy being overly cautious but I've never bought a firearm there since.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It is a hassle, but getting the new license with a "star" on it for verified ID makes lots of things easier. I haven't bought a firearm recently to fill out the federal paperwork, but I've been held up for three days on my last two purchases. They don't give you a reason, of course. Just delayed. Maybe my new "star" license will keep that from happening if I ever buy a firearm from a store again.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Here is the state statute that outlines the requirement that you must notify Drivers Services within 10 days of moving or getting your name changed etc.
27-16-506

The FFL dealer was simply following his requirements to ensure all paperwork is correct and all documents are valid and everything matches exactly. ATF is very strict about those requirements and it could have bitten the dealer in the butt if he followed through with the transaction. Like I used to tell folks before I retired, there is no room in the law for common sense lol.

·
Registered
640 Posts
it is the law, like it or not. I wonder how often they prevent crime by harrassing everyone about their address? My dad tried to buy a handgun not too long ago, was honest and told them that he just moved... they had the same reaction. no sale. I bought the gun, since I was with him, and I just let him use it... lol.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ain't all those dot the i's and cross the t's regulations a lot of fun? Here's a tale of an address change issue I went through several years back. The town I live in split its zip codes from one to three, so my zip code changed. Of course, this resulted in contacting anybody and everybody I could think of to make that address change--a lot of aggravation of course. As some point after the zip change, I had an important letter sent to me and the sender used a copy of my drivers license rather than my application address to send it to me. Never arrived, so a couple of months later, they sent another original. About six months later, the first letter arrived--with my old zip code on it. After a phone call, I figured out that my DL still had my old zip on it. Off to DMV. When I finally got to the head of the line, the lady changed my zip and told me everything was fine. Went across the room, had my photo taken and a new DL printed. Examination showed my old zip code still on it. I brought this to the attention of the lady running the camera/printing off DLs, and she said, "Oh, the computer on this machine is not connected to the computer at the front desk---I'll have to change it on this computer also." Another photo, another printed DL. AAAAARRRRGHHHHH.

There are undoubtedly still some data bases out there with my old zip code still on them. By the way, I sent a letter of complaint to DMV telling them what a bunch of rookies they were if they didn't have a computer tech that couldn't tie two computers together so that an address change on one wouldn't result in a change on the other.

This zip issue undoubtedly involved some firearm purchases, as I probably had the bad DL for several years, but never was caught in the process.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
182 Posts
Everything has to match period if you’re a White Man buying a firearm, cashing a check or boarding a a plane. If you’re a career welfare black or an illegal alien trying to vote, legal ID does not matter. Yeah I said this. If you don’t like it, summon my ancestors who fought the British.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts