Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandpa says back in his early days of hunting you couldn't feed the deer, but his way around that was apples. He'd have one or two eat them and toss the core as a attractent under some pine straw or such. I'm curious to how y'all did back in the day.

·
Premium Member
23,379 Posts
My Grandfathers called em Deer Crossings.
Their are places in the woods where Deer,Animals Travel..
Theses crossing are called Travel Routes..
Where I hunt today was. Called back in the Day a 7 mile Deer crossing..
I hunt it ..Follow the Rub lines into the Food source..I am setting now as I hunt 20 yards from the Food source..
Persimmons, White oak,Red oak,Post oak..acorns..
Good hunting..

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
He did things the same way a whole bunch of us still do. Figure out the deer's patterns, travel routes, food sources, and escape routes.

Its called hunting.

I've killed exactly one deer over feed in my entire life and I felt guilty doing it.

I'm not judging as I am sure there are plenty of legit reasons to use bait and if that's what someone chooses, more power to them. I would imagine one might never see a deer some places without feed of some sort and I get that. It just isn't for me.

Edit: I have used a bunch of corn to get pictures of deer, I just choose not to hunt over it since I killed the one doe while she had a mouth full.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I typed out a very long and eloquent answer that explained how to hunt deer without bait.
I deleted it because everyone else that has posted on this said more or less the same thing.

Hunt where the deer want to be or catch them between places they want to be. It really is that simple.

·
Premium Member
23,379 Posts
Amen...
He did things the same way a whole bunch of us still do. Figure out the deer's patterns, travel routes, food sources, and escape routes.

Its called hunting.

I've killed exactly one deer over feed in my entire life and I felt guilty doing it.

I'm not judging as I am sure there are plenty of legit reasons to use bait and if that's what someone chooses, more power to them. I would imagine one might never see a deer some places without feed of some sort and I get that. It just isn't for me.

Edit: I have used a bunch of corn to get pictures of deer, I just choose not to hunt over it since I killed the one doe while she had a mouth full.

·
Premium Member
23,379 Posts
Shoot em out the window that simple..Lol..
I typed out a very long and eloquent answer that explained how to hunt deer without bait.
I deleted it because everyone else that has posted on this said more or less the same thing.

Hunt where the deer want to be or catch them between places they want to be. It really is that simple.
Lol..
1701587927.jpeg

·
Premium Member
23,379 Posts
Wasn't any Deer to feed..Period..
My grandpa says back in his early days of hunting you couldn't feed the deer, but his way around that was apples. He'd have one or two eat them and toss the core as a attractent under some pine straw or such. I'm curious to how y'all did back in the day.
Where I am from..Their were no Deer..
None..To feed..
We had to Drive to Sylamore National Forest..To hunt.1 hr and 30 minutes..
You drove through a Road Block in..of GWS
And a Roadblock out of GWS..
If you heard a Deer it was talked about..
Kill a deer you were a Legend with your pics in the local paper and check station..

·
Registered
26,352 Posts
Old man once told me to cut up some apples, and put the clothes you were gonna wear the next day in a little Igloo cooler with the apples, and then wear them the next day. Then throw out the cut apples.

Course, that was back when all the clothes you were gonna wear the next day FIT in a little Igloo cooler.

·
Premium Member
23,379 Posts
Yes had a 4 compartment Dog Trailer..
We used dogs back in the day to kill deer. Effective before baiting and feeders hit the scene...
We would still hunt till 9 am..
Then one compartment 2 beagle Deer dogs would be let lose..Then 2 more until all were running....

·
Premium Member
23,379 Posts
Better Not shoot a Dog..Ifn you do..
Yes had a 4 compartment Dog Trailer..We would still hunt till 9 am..
Then one compartment 2 beagle Deer dogs would be let lose..Then 2 more until all were running....
Don't come back!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I remember back when if you found a deer track you’d hammer in cut pieces of 2 x 4 for steps up to a fork in the tree. If you were serious you would were a camo jacket that you bought at the Army Navy Surplus store along with Army issue jungle boots with the air holes in the sides. Hunt the whole weekend with out a shower and enjoy a steak cooked on a metal grate salvaged at the junk yard. No talk of inches or age just points. Shooting a spike was common place and 6 pts were the thing of legend. Shooting does was only allowed for two days the whole season and it seemed to always rain on those two days. Corn, we didn’t use no corn.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts