Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
27,836 Posts
Very true br, but you have seen first hand what killing all the does do you’ve said it many times after y’all did it. Also usually the same folks kill big bucks consistently. Some is great hunting spots but there’s a few that can go on a given piece of land and kill a big one of their is one there. All that being said I thing their is always a lot to be learned. That’s the main reason I joined here to learn some stuff about deer hunting.
Yeah. I know.
Some of that is tongue in cheek..........obviously........but yes, SOME things can be known for sure, such as "killing all your does ain't good". You are right. And yes, there are GOOD hunters that kill bigger bucks than most of us. I know that.

I learn a lot here too. You just have to learn who to ignore. LOL! (Me, mostly)

• Haha
Reactions: Allenn

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
Yeah. I know.
Some of that is tongue in cheek..........obviously........but yes, SOME things can be known for sure, such as "killing all your does ain't good". You are right. And yes, there are GOOD hunters that kill bigger bucks than most of us. I know that.

I learn a lot here too. You just have to learn who to ignore. LOL! (Me, mostly)
Lol naw you’re a pretty smart fellow BR

·
Premium Member
28,038 Posts
When it comes to deer, I have one rule I've learned over 60 years. Those who think they know a lot about deer, and claim such, are wrong. I ain't even sure if deer could talk, that you could find one that was accurate in telling how it all works.
Fact above.

I have a degree in Wildlife Management, worked in natural resources for 34 years, and managed my own land for almost twenty years - and learn something new on an all too regular basis

·
Registered
27,836 Posts
Fact above.

I have a degree in Wildlife Management, worked in natural resources for 34 years, and managed my own land for almost twenty years - and learn something new on an all too regular basis
Yeah, and you know way more than almost anyone (at least around these parts).

I guess I'm making a humorous attempt at a serious point. Everyone I ever heard talk about "deer do XYZ", are proven wrong, sometimes often. I used to wonder why that is.

Now I just stop worrying about it. Turns out, deer are magical, mystical creatures that exhibit some of the dangest characteristics of any mammal. Nothing stupider than an 18 year old spike. And nothing smarter than a 5 year old mature whitetail. So where did they go to school?????

Reactions: Allenn

·
Registered
10,751 Posts
1000 acres isn't enough to manage if you don't have a high fence. All you can do is not over hunt it. Shoot too many. You can be selective and improve it. But they will travel to your neighbors.

·
Premium Member
29,105 Posts
Fact above.

Thank you Sir Really Enjoy your Posts Thanks...

Have a Degree from the U of K and Stayed in a Motel 6 Once....
Trying to Manage a Family Farm....We are learning...
Thank you..

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is research that shooting "cull" bucks does have an effect on CAPTIVE deer herds but it makes little to no difference on free range herds. Does genetics are just as responsible for antler characteristics as much as bucks are. So unless you can pick which doe breeds with which buck you can't change anything. The majority of these "cull" bucks people shoot the antler deformity is more than likely due to an injury to the pedicle or to the antler during velvet not genetics. If people want bigger deer then they should know that nutrition is what dictates antler size not genetics. You could take the offspring of the biggest knarliest buck in Iowa and stick him in the ozarks and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from him and the other bucks. Shoot whatever makes you happy and don't feel the need to call it a "cull" buck to make you feel better.

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
My walls are covered in cull bucks! None of them gonna be spreading anymore seed.
Lol I think your bucks just look bigger cause you’re a small guy 😎. You were one of the ones I was thinking about who usually kills big ones.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Is it cull or selection. I will let younger bucks that have nice racks for their age go and hope they live until next year. I will shoot a buck that is showing inferior antlers and has a big body. The meat is all he same so I kill a deer and leave some younger bucks with potential for the future. So yes I shoot cull bucks or more correctly I am selective about what I shoot.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts