Crows and corn

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Bowhuntr, Jul 16, 2017 at 10:10 PM.

1. Bowhuntr

Bowhuntr Well-Known Member

Last year I had a huge problem with the crows eating my corn piles up. I mean I would dump 50 sometimes 100 pounds and it would be gone in two days or less. I was getting the pics to prove it. Dozens and dozens of pics with 20-30 crows at a time just destroying my corn pile from daylight until dark. I have two questions for you. The first is, does anyone know of a way to keep the crows away? Question number two is this. Do you guys think the presence of that many crows all day would affect deer activity at the corn pile? I was getting a good number of deer pics during the day before the crows found it and moved in. I was looking back through last years pics and it seems after the crows started hitting the pile, the deer stopped coming in during daylight. It seems the deer began to come in right at dusk and stay basically all night and leave around daylight when the crows showed back up. I also noticed that on the pics where the corn was all gone and the crows didn't show then it seemed the deer started to show during daylight again. Now this is on private ground with no one else allowed in there so the deer shouldn't be that pressured. I know there could be others sneaking in but haven't seen any sign of it so I don't think they went nocturnal because of pressure. I'm sure that many crows would be extremely loud and the deer might feel insecure with that kind of noise. I don't know what do you guys think.

2. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Kill a couple and hang in the trees around there. It works fairly well in the garden - and it doesnt seem to bother the deer.

3. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

If it were me I would probably shoot a bunch of them. and hang some up like said above. Just be advised you aren't supposed to hunt them over bait.

4. Bowhuntr

Bowhuntr Well-Known Member

Oh I'm gonna for sure shoot some and try hanging them up. I hate crows.

5. B725

B725 Well-Known Member

How would hanging them up run other crows off? I feel that would have opposite effects. I have them all in my corn right now also

6. Wapiti

Wapiti Well-Known Member

Hang um up, it works.

7. 1928

1928 Well-Known Member

I've also hung the corner of a black trash bag in a tree and it seemed to work.