Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about getting into crow hunting. I love to duck hunt and I think crow hunting would be a good way to sharpen up my shooting skills without wasting $25 a box steel shot. Any tips you have would be appreciated. Also, what do I do with the birds once I kill them? Thanks :flag:

· Registered
2,979 Posts
Im thinking about getting into crow hunting. I love to duck hunt and I think crow hunting would be a good way to sharpen up my shooting skills without wasting $25 a box steel shot. Any tips you have would be appreciated. Also, what do I do with the birds once I kill them? Thanks :flag:
Maranate them over night in a half bottle of red wine and then Wrap bacon around them and bake them at 350 degrees for 2 hours. Take them out of the over and let them cool for 30 minutes. Then open the door and throw them out and then drink the other half bottle of wine.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you drink the other half a bottle of wine then the crow might not taste so bad haha

Maranate them over night in a half bottle of red wine and then Wrap bacon around them and bake them at 350 degrees for 2 hours. Take them out of the over and let them cool for 30 minutes. Then open the door and throw them out and then drink the other half bottle of wine.

· Registered
12,125 Posts

The state of Washington Biological Survey used to band birds, and marke the bands with the abbreviated name of the survey.

The story is they got a letter from a farmer one day:

Dear Sirs:

I shot one of your pet crows. I followed the instructions writ on his leg. I Washed him, I Bioled him and I Surved him. And it was terrible. You ought not to fool people like that.

· Registered
11,876 Posts
There is a website about crow hunting I think it is called crowbusters that has tips and recipes. I have done it some and I can tell you that you have to be well hidden facemask and the works. And you need to kill on all your shots. The ones that get missed have a way of telling the others not to go to the call. If you are shooting good and they are working good you can't shoot and load fast enough. It can be a blast.

· Registered
12,125 Posts
There is a website about crow hunting I think it is called crowbusters that has tips and recipes. I have done it some and I can tell you that you have to be well hidden facemask and the works. And you need to kill on all your shots. The ones that get missed have a way of telling the others not to go to the call. If you are shooting good and they are working good you can't shoot and load fast enough. It can be a blast.
That's why I like the .22 Hornet -- from 150 yards away or more, I can nail them consistently.

· Registered
20,142 Posts
You fellas laugh all ya want, but crow eats pretty good...... :up:
If you like to eat duck... you'll be able to eat a crow.
Cook them the same way and put them side by side and I challenge anyone to tell the difference :pot:
Now, that being said.... I do like stated above. ....take a picture and feed'em to the furbearers.
But, I have eaten crow several times at "game dinners" and it really ain't much differant than mallard...........

· Registered
7,965 Posts
Don't do it! Do not start crow hunting! I found it to be like drugs. Never thought about it much until after I started and then found myself thinking about it all the time. Notice crows flying in town, watch them flying to their roosts in the evening and wishign I had a place close to call them, you name it.

O.K. seriously. I was a member of crowbusters for a few years and don't really know why I stopped. Here are a few tips picked up along the way. Definately wear a head net, but I don't wear any sort of cap or hat on top. That way there is no bill or brim moving around for the birds to pick up on. Stay concealed and try not to move around too much. This is the hardest for groups of hunters or new hunters. I tried a lot of shells but have found Remington Nitro 27 and STS target loads in 7 1/2 shot kill the best for me out to 35-40 yards.

As far as what to do with them I put them in a pile somewhere. I have eaten crow a few times but never the kind wiith black feathers. :rolleyes:

· Registered
5,321 Posts
Red Tails come readily to fighting crow calls. Easy shooting. KER-5884
Yes they Do! I used to hunt them all the time & probably had more fun crow hunting than any other kind of hunting. We reloaded our own shells,and back in the day we drove around & found a good spot & set up. This was before Leasing land was. The most important thing is to kill the scout crow (first one in ) & the rest fly in blindly. I used to go with 1 or 2 others & it was nothing to kill over 50 crows in a set. The Tape lasted 30 minutes & sometime they would keep coming in after the casette ran its 30 minutes. I used to could not wait for the 1st of September when the season started. My old caller finally died & I never bought another. Back then Some Counties had a Bounty on crows 50 cents each IIRC.:up:I Do Miss It!

· Registered
5,321 Posts
I miss the good ole days.don't you Thumper. Days of no lease, no purple paint. Just good hunting fun. KER-5884
Yes I Do miss them days. In addition to Crow hunting Me & my Buddies used to drive to Moro Bay & catch the Ferry across the Ouachita River & squirrell hunt the most beautiful Big Oak timber Flat in the world I think. We had to drive about 50 miles to get there from here. Gas was cheap, a Truck did not cost $30,000 & there was NO leased land. Yes I miss the good ol' days (Back when I was really alive).

· Registered
262 Posts
I used to hunt them years ago and my record for one day is 238. I still have all my decoys and was going to give them away to another younger crow hunter. Crows love to raid duck nests and eat the eggs. They are the most evolved bird there is and have their own language. Baby crows are called simps. Finding a large roost is the best way to hunt them but don't get closer that 1/2 mile or they will move. Dumps are good places to hunt as well but get there when it's still dark. Build a tight blind and wear complete camo including a headnet. If they don't see you the gunfire doesn't scare them away easily. During a lull in the action hang some dead ones in a tree. Target loads work well in 71/2 or 8s. As you can tell I hunted crows for many years mostly in Connecticut. One day a friend and me hunted all day and the temperature never got above 10 degrees. We had a Coleman heater to keep our hands warm and came out for lunch at Wendy's and to warm up. I was a champion trap shooter and he was a champion skeet shooter. We didn't miss many.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.