Arkansas Hunting banner

Crossbows and leprosy

6K views 70 replies 43 participants last post by  gh32 
#1 ·
I think it is weird. Crossbows are fully legal in Arkansas, and yet if one posts that they used one, or wants information, it is as though they had some sort of dread disease like leprosy.

I use my compound for most of my hunts, but if I am in a ground blind because of weather or other circumstance I use my Horton crossbow. I'd like to think that doing so and posting about it might be welcomed more warmly than the current "chill" in the air climate regarding crossbows. If it were not legal I'd accept it, but this "we are better than you" attitude needs to cease. As hunters we all need to get each other's backs, and welcome all forms of legal harvests. :banghead:

#6 ·
As long as you're putting critters in the deep freeze (legal like) well, isn't that what it's all about? :biggrin:

I'm considering doing some of the modern gun hunt with a flintlock just for fun. I'm not gonna say nothing about all the modern gun folks, though--as long as they're legal, it's groovy. If everybody had to shoot or hunt the same way every time, how boring would that be?

I've got an old Horton Xbow myself, it's been gathering dust for too long. Maybe it'll get to come out and play. I'm not gonna sell my compound, though!

#8 ·
I couldn't agree with you more befus. I used to have a crossbow, and I might get another one soon to hunt in the blind with my son, but too many people do treat crossbow hunters like they are second class. If it's legal, then the AGFC must deem it necessary to help keep the critters in check.

#10 ·
You still gotta get'em close with any bow.You miss with a crosbow like any others. I've hunted with both,most times I take my crossbow, cause I don't get to shoot my compound a lot with my summer work load, and I don't feel as confident.
Exactly. As I have gotten older I find that either cocking a crossbow or repetitive shooting with a compound can, and does, cause my elbows and/or back to get pretty ouchy. I also do know that I can get ready to hunt ethically with a crossbow in less time and physical strain than a compound. As I get even older I see the crossbow taking more hunts than the compound whether I really like it or not.

#14 ·
The X-bow is a good weapon for those of us with physical difficulties of drawing a bow. After breaking my back I don't think I could ethically hunt with a compound. I can't pull back much and can't practice enough to get good enough with it.

For those without physical limitations, it's just as legal as a 338 during gun season and I think that is way too much gun. But that's my opinion, and at the end of the day it doesn't make a hill of beans difference.

#15 ·
I used to hunt with a compound....quit, because of shoulder problems.......then a few years ago, I decided I was going to bow hunt again, so I bought a Xbow...I don't care if I am treated like a leaper because of it...hell I'm used to it...for 25+ years, I hunted with handguns only, and people thought I was crazy..funny thing is, I killed deer and they didn't...my freezer was full :biggrin:

To each his own!!! that's why this is still a free country!!!!

#16 ·
perosnaly, I would reather a compound bow. Mostly because I shoot one almost every single day. I have very little aginst cross bows or the people that use them. One thing I do not like about them is conetic energy. With a short arrow (or bolt) there isnt alot of mass to transfer energy to the target. Heres an example. If I throw a ping-pong ball at you and a golf ball at you; both haveing about the same speed; with will hurt worse. Alot of people ask me about cross bows because I do shoot so much. I tell them that shot placement is extremely important because of the conetic energy. A good shot from a cross bow will kill anything just as good as a shot from a compound bow. Good luck.

#17 ·
perosnaly, I would reather a compound bow. Mostly because I shoot one almost every single day. I have very little aginst cross bows or the people that use them. One thing I do not like about them is conetic energy. With a short arrow (or bolt) there isnt alot of mass to transfer energy to the target. Heres an example. If I throw a ping-pong ball at you and a golf ball at you; both haveing about the same speed; with will hurt worse. Alot of people ask me about cross bows because I do shoot so much. I tell them that shot placement is extremely important because of the conetic energy. A good shot from a cross bow will kill anything just as good as a shot from a compound bow. Good luck.
One could argue that kinetic energy has nothing to do with bow hunting. No bow has any "knock down" power to speak of. Killing power is more about good sharp broad heads and shot selection than anything. If you can get good cut path inside the vitals of an animal and a pass-through, it's enough energy.

A clean bow kill is about maximum hemorrhage in the vitals, not power.

#20 ·
It's all about what's right for you, be it compound bow vs crossbow vs longbow or recurve. A few compound users knock crossbows and some traditional guys thinks both compounds and crossbows are wrong, if it's legal and used according to the rules, ain't nobody got a reason to complain about what somebody else uses. If you don't like some weapon, don't use it, but don't tell me ( or anyone else) they are cheating some how by using a legal weapon. Same goes with muzzleloaders, if you want to hunt with a flintlock, fine, but an inline with a scope is OK too, they're both legal. I'm go'n to use what I want and I don't really give two hoots what someone else uses. By the way, I shoot a longbow, an inline muzzleloader, with a scope, and a 25/06 bolt action rifle for modern gun.

#21 ·
One could argue that kinetic energy has nothing to do with bow hunting. No bow has any "knock down" power to speak of. Killing power is more about good sharp broad heads and shot selection than anything. If you can get good cut path inside the vitals of an animal and a pass-through, it's enough energy.

I have to agree 100%!! :up:

#22 ·
My wife and I both Hunt with Xbows We have 2 Hortons with scopes...

I'm about a 110# soakin wet and I have an extremely hard time pulling a compound bow, So I got a XBow and then my wife fell in love with it and I got her one last yr and she got her first buck and got hooked on hunting too..
My sons 11,13 and 16 have all gotten to hunt this way 2 of them got bucks last yr too..... anyone that whats to knock a XBow would also be knocking making hunting a FAMILY Sport... If it wasnt for me getting a Xbow My wife and kids would never have gotten into hunting with me like they have ....I have never been one to care what anyone else thinks other than the GW....:cool:

You'll get the same reaction if you say you use a feeder :razz: :pot:

We are really bad We have a 20' Boxstand with a food plot and corn feeder a salt licks and use XBows... All will bring you condemenation from some ELITE Hunters..

All I know is We had a great time and put 5 deer in the freezer that we ALL enjoyed eating for most of the year and everyone is begging to try it again.. I had the Best Hunting time of my life last season getting to be with each one of them as the killed their 1st buck... They were all trophy bucks to them.. and they ALL did it themselves..

#23 ·
You'll get the same reaction if you say you use a feeder :razz: :pot:

We are really bad We have a 20' Boxstand with a food plot and corn feeder a salt licks and use XBows... All will bring you condemenation from some ELITE Hunters..
You probably hunt with dogs, hunt in a high fence, shoot snakes, and shoot your deer in the neck, too... :fit::fit:

Sounds great on getting the family hunting. Your kids have seen things in nature that lots of kids will never get to enjoy. Savor every minute you get to hunt with your family!! :up:

#24 ·
You probably hunt with dogs, hunt in a high fence, shoot snakes, and shoot your deer in the neck, too... :fit::fit:

Sounds great on getting the family hunting. Your kids have seen things in nature that lots of kids will never get to enjoy. Savor every minute you get to hunt with your family!! :up:

Can they still let out a "death moan" when you shoot them in the neck?:biggrin:

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
D33rhunt3r,
I was NOT talking bad a bout cross bows. I resent your comment about "all will bring you condemenation from some ELITE hunters". I do support the use of crossbows! Im a taxidermist! Id support the use of claymores ifit was legal. I only brought up the point of conetic energy because one of my friends looseing several deer that he shot with a crossbow. The arrow didnot pass through the deer. With the arrow still in the deer there was no blood to follow. All four of these deer were found later. All four arrows had hit a rib slowing the arrow down enough to remain in the deer.
Please read what I wrote .

#26 ·

And I would say your wrong.

If you can get good cut path inside the vitals of an animal and a pass-through, it's enough energy.
It takes a certain amount of KE to accomplish this feat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.