Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to use a crossbow in early/bow turkey season for turkeys in Kansas. However, another hunter told me he is looking for a different type of broadhead for his crossbow bolts as they pass through quickly and do not do enough damage and he lost 2 last year in Kansas. I do not see why a crossbow would be much different from a compound bow in how it will kill turkeys but he said it is because of the speed of the bolt.

Do you think he was just making bad shots and did not hit vitals or is there something other than a deer type of arrow head for turkeys?

Thanks,

Steve/"Dermott"

· Registered
14,601 Posts
I dont see how it would be any different.
Sounds like most people use a big cutting diameter mechanical in hopes that they wont get pass-thru and create as much damage as possible. I even remember seeing some blunt tipped broadheads for this purpose. Some folks throw a washer behind them too.

· Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have NAP mechanical broadheads on the crossbow bolts. Am new to crossbow use but used an old 55 pound draw recurve in the 60s but have never used a compound. It looks to me like the bolt at 315 FPS would pass through a turkey but the mechanical would cause enought damage to put one down quickly. I just don't want to injure one and lose it knowing it will die soon thereafter. Thanks all that have replied. Steve/"Dermott"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.