Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've purchased a used Horton Hawk SL 150#.

My delimma is I can't get any info on it via. the net.

Does or has anyone owned one, know anything about them?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

thanx, QA

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
ANYTHING!!!! Pricing,FPS, Kinetic Energy, year made..ect..ect..:clap::clap:

THANX for the help !

QA
Kinetic E and FPS will be dependent on the weight of the bolt you use, but I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference in bolts.
If you've already bought it, what you so worried for? Go get what you need to hunt, sight it in, and relax.

·
Premium Member
20,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have some advice for ya! Get yourself a compound! :p :wink:
Yeah,whatever, I'm not that high on the evolution ladder....yet!

Already owned a compound (about 20yrs ago) and it got the better of me. Missed 2 deer ( not the bow's fault!) arrow can "un-noked on one shot and the broadhead was resting against my wrist. So, that pretty much determined to me that i would be more successful and SAFER with a horizontal bow!.............:)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Already owned a compound (about 20yrs ago) and it got the better of me. Missed 2 deer ( not the bow's fault!) arrow can "un-noked on one shot and the broadhead was resting against my wrist. So, that pretty much determined to me that i would be more successful and SAFER with a horizontal bow!.............:)
I have a Horton but it's a ProMag. It is a 150lb pull though and shoots at 260FPS, according to the literature I have on it. I've killed more deer with it than my deer rifle so I can tell you it's effective. For what it's worth, I found mine most effective with carbon arrows and mechanical broadheads. If you shoot at a deer and miss with a carbon, you might get to use it again. If it's aluminum, it's gonzo.

Cheers.....

·
Premium Member
20,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Horton but it's a ProMag. It is a 150lb pull though and shoots at 260FPS, according to the literature I have on it. I've killed more deer with it than my deer rifle so I can tell you it's effective. For what it's worth, I found mine most effective with carbon arrows and mechanical broadheads. If you shoot at a deer and miss with a carbon, you might get to use it again. If it's aluminum, it's gonzo.

Cheers.....

Thanks..QA

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
For what it's worth, I found mine most effective with carbon arrows and mechanical broadheads. If you shoot at a deer and miss with a carbon, you might get to use it again. If it's aluminum, it's gonzo.

Cheers.....
+1 on that.

I have a hunter supreme with a 4x scope that I will probably replace with a red dot the next time I get paid. The Cross bow is limited in range enough that the 4x scope is really not practical. I missed on a 5 yard shot a couple years ago on a 130+ inch 10pt. because all I could see was "brown" through the scope and couldn't tell what I was aiming at. With a red dot I'd probably have a nice mount. Mechanicals shoot 1000 times better in mine than fixed and carbon bolts seem to shoot more consistently for me.

I wouldn't plan on shooting more than 25 yards. The crossbow is pretty loud even with all the limb-saver stuff on it and the deer just have way too much time to jump the string if you are shooting very far. The "dial a range" on the Horton works great. Make sure you practice with it so you know how it works and when to use it.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

Advice be sure to keep your thumb down on the forearm when shooting that crossbow if you had problems like you mention with your old compound.

·
Registered
82 Posts
call horton and tell them you bought the bow from a friend and want some info on it. They will prob send you the info or tell you over the phone.

I bought a older horton crossbow, from a friend and called them. They were really egar to help, they put new limbs, string, rails, trigger, etc... basically they used my stock and replaced the rest to upgraded components for about 180 bucks... I was happy.

·
Registered
832 Posts
String marks

The best advice I ever got on a crossbow was to cock it like you normally do. Then while it is cocked take fingernail polish or white out and mark where the string touches the rail. This will give you a true reference for accuracy anchor point. One has a tendency to slide the string left or right when cocking.

·
Premium Member
20,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The best advice I ever got on a crossbow was to cock it like you normally do. Then while it is cocked take fingernail polish or white out and mark where the string touches the rail. This will give you a true reference for accuracy anchor point. One has a tendency to slide the string left or right when cocking.
That's a good idea, thought about buying a cocking device but, this seem's to be a cheaper, just as effective method also.

Thanks....QA

·
Premium Member
20,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
call horton and tell them you bought the bow from a friend and want some info on it. They will prob send you the info or tell you over the phone.

I bought a older horton crossbow, from a friend and called them. They were really egar to help, they put new limbs, string, rails, trigger, etc... basically they used my stock and replaced the rest to upgraded components for about 180 bucks... I was happy.
You bet, fixin to get on the phone now.....Thanks to all for your support!!:clap::clap:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.