Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Honest to goodness truth here, as I have 4 other witnesses that can join and back up this story. Was hunting with my brother, father, father's good friend, and my best friend in Buckingham Flats a few years ago. Hunting was REALLY slow, and my brother (teenager at the time) was getting pretty bored. He proceeds to take his echo call and quack the Razorback fight song. Next thing we know, a hen along with 5 other mallards responds at tree top height. They made two swings (he returned to actual calling) and dropped in the timber. We dropped 3 ducks out of the bunch. This is the CRAZIEST thing that has ever happened to me.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
The most not so smart thing I've done....hmmmm I guess that would be every year when I go into the bottoms multiple times a year knowing there isn't any water and walking miles upon miles thinking I may be wrong :smack: It's all worth it however on that rare time I'm wrong and being one of the first people to put shalacken on :cool:

·
Banned
385 Posts
Craziest thing was hunting in the scatters during the ice storm in 2000 with trees falling all around, words can't describe it.:eek:

Went like that for 4 days until the woods locked up and didn't thaw out for like 22 days.

The hunting was unbelievable but we could have been hurt or killed for that matter but I'd do it again tomorrow.:fit:

·
Premium Member
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use a Robo Duck.........:banghead::banghead::banghead: :wink:
I knew you would finally admit to it!

HERE'S ONE FOR YA'!

A couple of years back we were hunting at 'Brookin's" off the black river. As we walked into the hole, one of us was having a battle with the gallon of coffee he decided to drink on the way over. None the less, he was losing the battle and had to go find a tree.As he scurried to get his neoprene wader's, 5-layer's of clothes and thermals down, he was about to succomb to defeat, when he managed at the last minute to grab hold of a sapling and release the inner beast that was plaging him.However, upon him holding the flashlight in his mouth, he discovered that his angle wasn't correct and his projection was not high enough. Now a "new" problem was created and needed solving. As the rest of the hunter's urged his return before the duck's started to work, he was trying to figure out how to address the new issue he had developed. Not wanting to hunt with soiled undergarment's the ingenius thought occured, he would get out his knife and free himself from the tie's that binded him. However, during his frantic hurry to free himself from his previously mentioned appareal, he drop his knife in the knee deep water. AH! situation #2 is now upon him. Deciding to leave all his deicancy(sp) behind that tree, he cominced to tearing his underwear off. This feat was crude BUTT,effective. Also, in his haste he threw his garment's into the tree's to cover his misforturne from the rest of the hunting party. As the party wrapped up the morning hunt and departed the hole, there in a tree about head high was the evidence of his misfortune that he had thought know one would see! As you can imagine, the ride home was full of shame and discomfort!

·
Registered
84 Posts
On the way home from a hunt my friend fell asleep in the back seat of the truck. I took the shock collar off the dog and turned it up all the way and give him a little wake up call !!

The look on his face was priceless, and while I later thought he would kill me....I was laughing so hard at the time I could not even catch my breath !!

·
Registered
883 Posts
On the way home from a hunt my friend fell asleep in the back seat of the truck. I took the shock collar off the dog and turned it up all the way and give him a little wake up call !!

The look on his face was priceless, and while I later thought he would kill me....I was laughing so hard at the time I could not even catch my breath !!
Thats just wrong. Id be mad about that. Its funny it happend to somebody else though.

My dumbest thing ive done is walk in to a WMA and wait for about 6 hours to not shoot anything.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Honest to goodness truth here, as I have 4 other witnesses that can join and back up this story. Was hunting with my brother, father, father's good friend, and my best friend in Buckingham Flats a few years ago. Hunting was REALLY slow, and my brother (teenager at the time) was getting pretty bored. He proceeds to take his echo call and quack the Razorback fight song. Next thing we know, a hen along with 5 other mallards responds at tree top height. They made two swings (he returned to actual calling) and dropped in the timber. We dropped 3 ducks out of the bunch. This is the CRAZIEST thing that has ever happened to me.
i`ve had a similar experience while composing my rendition of the sanford and son theme song on a duck commander. its deadly! 4 greenheads came in and none left. my buddies hung there heads in shame blaming it on my sleep deprivation, untill i started shooting.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
About four seasons ago I went out near Broookings and went to a walk-in hole that I hoped was open. Nealry everythng around was locked up with ice. I get there and have to break ice for about an hour just to get to the open water I had hoped for. Another dude shows up while I'm at it and we decided to hunt together and hope for the best.

We finally make it and I hit the rebar to the jerk rope and pop two quarter size holes in my waders. After and hour or so of the water cycling through with every wiggle I decide to give it up... and then it happened!! Sprigs were coming in from the left and mallards from the right... He asks "Which ones do you want to take?" and all I can reply wiht is "What ever gets in range!"... at this time I had NEVER shot a drake sprig!! So I was hoping for the sprigs!!

The mallards flared off at the incoming pins and we cut loose. I dropped not one but two very nice sprigs!!! I have one on the wall as I type this.... now this isn't all that crazy.. just typical duck hunting.

I decided to stick it out a bit longer and finally I can no longer even feel my waist, let along my legs!! So I pack it in.... When I reach my truck, I am soaked to the bone!!! So I strip off butt naked and drive to my house about forty five miles away.

The whole drive I am praying that A:I don't have a wreck and B: Mike Carter doesn't stop me for speeding!!! It all worked out fine.... my sprig is now immortalized and I didn't have to deal with any witnesses to my "nekkid" driving!!!

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I think my craziest duck experience was that first go at teal, and I actually hit a couple! Dayum them thangs are fast!

The father in-law accused me of "dry-gulching" the last one, and I denied it. When three of the decoys sank, the truth was out for all to see...:smack:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Several years back, I took a buddy and one of his friends hunting, whom had never been before. The friend had borrowed a pair of waders from someone he knew. WE had began wading water, as we began to get about knee deep, the friend had made the comment that it felt like he was getting wet, I replied with, it may be just the temp of the water.. and just feels wet.. we continued into the slough. As we began to get waiste deep.. the friend, states that he believs his waders are leakin. I told him he has one of two options to either **** back to the trucks or find a log and hunt there.. He replies with, I'm going to go ahead and hunt... IT had began to become shooting hours.. whenhe states that he needs to p*$$.. I tell him to go hind a log and to pull his waders down and p*$$ he comes back with.. I'm already wet. i was like :smack:... oon after that.. we headed back to the trucks... once we get back.. every one takes off their waders an gets ready to leave... and the next thing i knew, the friend began tryin to open my passengers door onmy truck.. i roll the window down, and ask if i could help him.. he says, that he wants in. i say real quick....ohhhh h#)) no.. u done p*$$ your pants.. their aint no tellin what u'd do to my truck seat.. and as for a change of clothes.. i will be more than happy to sell u a pr.. but as for borrowing.. you can forget it.. esp. when u p*$$ in a pr of waders that's not yours...Needless to say, that is the last time i offerd to let them go with me. because it was very much a pissy experience

·
Premium Member
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Story #2

I had a customer from North Carolina come in for a hunt. He was a customer to one of the local bussiness's.

They arrived in the evening and we ate and STS for a couple of hour's before bedtime. This guy was the " Hunter of all Hunter's", Africa, New Zealand,Montana, you get the picture. He continued to inform us of all his duck hunting trips and expertize. So let's move on, we hunt out of boat's with Avery pop-up blind's, 3 to a boat, I had the privalage of having the "Great white hunter" with me. Now's the time to mention that he had just purchased a brand new Benelli Blackhawk,I believe. As the morning hunt progressed I noticed him setting his gun on the gunbox of the boat, the third person with us was his 7yr old son, whom ate his weight in nutty buddy's, ding dong's and ho-ho's. All of this was kept inside of the gunbox. I made mention to him, dad, that he may want to relocate his gun rest. His reply "NAH, that boy has been around gun's since he was old enough to hold a pacifier", Yeah, o.k. Well, as you can imagine, just a little time later, Jr. fling's open the gun box for another snack and the Benelli went for a swim with Dad right behind it, did I mention that the water was about 30degree's and 10ft deep? As "Dad" left the boat he reached for the side of the blind and took all the camo shell,windblocker and half the railing down with him!! Needless to say, I was trying to get this guy back in the boat,quickly and to the houseboat to warm up, Jr. was very quiet for some reason. Now's probably a good time to tell ya' that it's about a 8 mile boat ride back. "Dad" and Jr. were on the first plane back to NC the next morning. Scared the H_LL out of me! Also, there is a brand new Benelli somewhere around Louisianna.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Driving across an Arkansas River rock jettie (spelling?) that had a spot where water was breaking through it. The area that the water was rushing over was probably 30 yards long and probably 2 feet deep and at one point one of the rocks I was driving over moved and the current moved my truck over about a foot. We were lucky we didn't flip the truck off the jettie and drown or freeze to death but we were young, stupid and ready to get to our spot and kill some ducks. Looking back it was really, really stupid. To make things worse, the river was rising and we had to drive back across it after the hunt! God was watching over us that day.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Well, so many stupid things. But one of the funniest was laying in front of boat laying on top of two bags of decoys with our dog holding the spotlight after a long night of too many toddies. Boat makes sharp turn to left to miss a log and me, dog and one bag of decoys roll over the side of the boat in the middle of little bayou meto. That was one way to cure the "morning after blues." Thank god that bag of decoys fell over with me. When my buddies finally got turned around and came back me and that dog was fighting over that bag of decoys. :smack:

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I was hunting with my brother, one of his students, and his dad over around Corning one December. We were headed out to a hole and my brother and me were laying flat in the bottom of the boat. When all of a sudden I didn't hear the motor running anymore, at first I thought were here, and then I heard glub, glub, blub, and this kids dad went "well :censored:". I sat up and looked around, and the motor had fell off the boat and was bobbing up and down in the water about 6' behind us. He managed to get ahold of it and get it put back on the old boat, and we hunted the rest of the morning, with all of us laughing and giggling about losing the boat motor. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.