Crappie

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by bps12, Dec 31, 2007.

1. bps12

bps12 Well-Known Member

Is anybody catchin crappie yet. I heard the are wearin them out at lake earling. My dad caught a pretty good mess on White Oak last night, but they weren'y big ones.

2. hog69

hog69 Member<br>2008 Deerhunting Contest Team Winner

AT NIGHT? I have never heard of crappie fishing at night in the dead of winter. Enlighten me......

3. Tony Harris

Tony Harris Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi Staff Member

Yoyo's. At least we fish them in the winter.

4. BuzzBait

BuzzBait Well-Known Member

Going to nine mile Sunday....Hope to catch a ton...Or a limit anyway....

5. jerry dean

jerry dean Suspended Permanently

That's the ONLY way to fish Yo's. No snakes, no wasp, not as many turtles, big fire on the bank, and the most important thing.....no need for ice on the beer.:biggrin:

6. Tony Harris

Tony Harris Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi Staff Member

I prefer straight Kentucky thank you. :biggrin:

7. bett_lou

bett_lou Moderator<br>Campfire<br>Humor & Games<br>'07 Deer

That's my kind of fishin. I love to fish with yo's. :biggrin:

8. jerry dean

jerry dean Suspended Permanently

Actually Turkey 101 is my preference. It just makes it a little harder to run 'em all night when they're really bitein'.

Ain't nothing like shining 1,000,000 candlewatts across a 100 Yo-Yo set up and seeing nothing but them big silver slabs, with just half their head barely out of the water.

I've set out 120-130 Yo's many, many times, then hurry and run up to the package store and right back, which takes about 45 minutes ,and have 50+ big black slabs hanging.
    Man, I LOVE YO_YO-ING!!!!

9. fish

fish Well-Known Member

These days you are limited to 30 YO-YO's per person. Also the limit is either 20 or 30 most places in Arkansas.:thumb: I used to fish them , but it's strickly jiggin these days.:thumb:

10. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

The best time to go fishing is every chance you get.......who cares about the weather? :thumb:

11. bps12

bps12 Well-Known Member

I agree Jerry the sight of a bunch of slabs hangin out of the water is a pretty sight. the lower they hang the better. But my dad was pole fishin. You hang a light over the boat, the best kind is one of those floating lights that way the bugs don't come around as much as one that is up out of the water. mostly with shiners. right now they are bitin the red minnows.

12. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

I think they might be biting good at the bridge at Starnes landing on White Oak.......last couple of trips up in 15, it was standing room only there, and I saw em pull out a couple of slabs when I came by.........

13. bps12

bps12 Well-Known Member

Fish, what lake you fish mostly? I love to fish Hwy. 27 on lake Ouachita. Thats where my late papaw taught me how to work a jig pole. Man he used to drop them jigs down through them tops and bushes and the only way he could pull it back out of there is if it had a crappie on it because otherwise he would get hung up. :thumb:

14. bps12

bps12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats where dad was. He fishes at night because there ain't as many people up there then. They just started pullin the big ones out of there this past week.

15. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

strictly jig fishing for me. man there aint nothing like pulling some slabs out of the shallow water when they are spawning. yall getting me ready to do some fishing, especially with it being in the 70s for a few days.

16. fish

fish Well-Known Member

Nimrod , It is where I fish most of the time these days. We have a couple hundred tops and stake beds . Even do a little guiding to help buy gas.:thumb: The stake beds are best as everything is verticle and cuts way back on hang ups.:wink:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. VALES

VALES Well-Known Member

Fish, I was taking to my uncle the other day and he says he probably knows you. He is on Nimrod all of the time. His name Is Donnie Smith. You ever run into him any?

18. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator<br>Bowhunting<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

So what type of water (depth, around structure or not, ect.) have you been catching them on right now?? I've never really fished them in the winter like this. Thanks!

19. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

Like you actually know how to catch a fish! :razz:
    Hopefully I can catch up with you over at Chicot sometime this March and pull in a few papermouths.

20. bps12

bps12 Well-Known Member

When do yall normaly go to chicot, we are over there every march. Be nice to meet up with a few of yous guys.:thumb: