Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
21,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Son inlaw is a fine crappie fisherman, he can search those fish out in the toughest of conditions and catch them with the best. I have bought him poles over the years but have neglected to buy any for myself. I have bought him a few that felt awesome in my hand, very light and crisp but that's just in the store and not on the lake. He has told me the poles have been really good on the lake and I have a few ideas on what I like, but curious what others on here like in a pole. What length, brand? One for trolling and one for jigging? I'm not giving up bass fishing but just looking to expand and I love to eat them the best. I ask this because just like bass fishing the crappie fishing side on technology has blown up and passed me some 30 years. I've spent two years solid catching back up to the bass fishing side on techniques, lures, graphs etc and I feel on the crappie side its probably going to be the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
32,365 Posts
Todd Huckabee 12’ if they’re not spooky, 16’ BnM BGJP when they’re acting goofy. I have a 14’ Huckabee that I really like, but it’s just a touch too heavy for me. Trolling rods are 16’ Jenko Slab City’s. Really like them a lot.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
12-13’ Huckabees are strong and have the boat flipping backbone needed. Actually all Huckabee rods are good. And even though I’m not a big fan of his I will say I bought one of the Josh Jones 14’ Dobyns rods and it’s hands down lighter than my hucks and supports the same backbone for boat flipping…

· Registered
13,795 Posts
I have half a dozen different rods I like to use for crappie. 2 of my favorites, are a couple of Bass Pro Wally Marshall rods. These are about 15 years old, not fancy high priced rods, but they have really worked well for me. Caught a lot of fish & have never broken one.

6 1/2 ft. Wally Marshall signature lite action IM6 graphite spinning rod for my casting.

9ft. Wally Marshall mighty lite series IM6 graphite rod for working stumps, docks, or shallow brush.
5 ft. Mitchell Spiderglass Spectra ultra lite (inexpensive & about 18 yrs. old) great for night fishing from a dock or boat & in tight places.
I like all them so well I own multiple rods of all 3.

· Registered
32,365 Posts
12-13’ Huckabees are strong and have the boat flipping backbone needed. Actually all Huckabee rods are good. And even though I’m not a big fan of his I will say I bought one of the Josh Jones 14’ Dobyns rods and it’s hands down lighter than my hucks and supports the same backbone for boat flipping…
Man I’ve been wanting to look at that Dobyn’s, but I’m not sure I could bring myself to buy one.

· Registered
469 Posts
My friends give me a hard time about having so many crappie rods, but I’ll chime my 2 cents in on the subject.

Are you pushing or pulling when trolling? Pushing, a 16’ b n m bgjp is going to be hard to beat. I have kast king baitcasters on mine, generally only push when I go to Toledo bed and they’ve handled that quite well.

If you’re longlining, I use a 4’ b n m duck commander spinning rod, an 8’ b n m the difference rod, 10’ duck commander double touch and a 12’ double touch. Sometimes if I feel frisky or if I’m in sure enough open water I’ll add 4 14’ duck commander trolling rods out the front with heavy weights also. Trying my hand at planer boards this year since I’ve swapped over to a pontoon so we’ll see how that goes.

For general livescoping I either use a 6’6” trout magnet slayer rod or the 10’ and 12’ double touch rods. I do use some 10’ bgjp rods as well and I really like them. They’re light and tough. I have some 13’ b n m sticks, but I’d say they’re more suited for shallow flipping as opposed to the deep water stuff I encounter at Greers. I will say I’ve boat flipped my share of football shaped white bass with the sticks and 20lb braid though.

· Registered
21,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My friends give me a hard time about having so many crappie rods, but I’ll chime my 2 cents in on the subject.

Are you pushing or pulling when trolling? Pushing, a 16’ b n m bgjp is going to be hard to beat. I have kast king baitcasters on mine, generally only push when I go to Toledo bed and they’ve handled that quite well.

If you’re longlining, I use a 4’ b n m duck commander spinning rod, an 8’ b n m the difference rod, 10’ duck commander double touch and a 12’ double touch. Sometimes if I feel frisky or if I’m in sure enough open water I’ll add 4 14’ duck commander trolling rods out the front with heavy weights also. Trying my hand at planer boards this year since I’ve swapped over to a pontoon so we’ll see how that goes.

For general livescoping I either use a 6’6” trout magnet slayer rod or the 10’ and 12’ double touch rods. I do use some 10’ bgjp rods as well and I really like them. They’re light and tough. I have some 13’ b n m sticks, but I’d say they’re more suited for shallow flipping as opposed to the deep water stuff I encounter at Greers. I will say I’ve boat flipped my share of football shaped white bass with the sticks and 20lb braid though.
I’ve got that same pole Duck Commander double tap 10’ really like that feel but have not fished it all day to really know. You find you like braid better, I know there’s a ton that do? I’m mainly going to be scoping. I don’t think I’ll be pulling any.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts