Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Greeson last Sat. morning and got 65 crappie. Fishing brush with shiners bout 8 to 10ft deep. Only two over 14" and the big one at 15 3/4". All the rest bout 10".

Good fun and Good eatin!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Looks like the fishing is about the same at Nimrod , lots of small fish with a few nice ones. Afraid this flood will have things messed up for awhile. Looks like a fun trip.:thumb:

·
Registered
567 Posts
They went fishing with the crappie guides most people can not come to Greeson and catch fish like that with out paying a guide $300.00:eek: bucks a day to catch fish.The guides have KILLED:mad::mad::mad: this lake most people could come to Greeson and have a good day crappie fishing but now we have 2 guides and it is hard to catch good fishing on Greeson.:banghead:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry you fill that way. But I don't think so. The guides make there own place to fish by putting in brush piles, they work VERY close with the AR Game and Fish to help that lake grow the fish that is does.

If you see them fishing some spots, when they are not there you go fish it. I fish down there without them too and they will even mark some spots or give me GPS locations to go fish.

Maybe if you were on that lake or any other lake over 200 days a year you would know it well and be able to catch fish like that. They're many guides in this state and that is what they do for a living.

So, in other words you are saying that any lake that guides fish on, that you can't catch fish?

They went fishing with the crappie guides most people can not come to Greeson and catch fish like that with out paying a guide $300.00:eek: bucks a day to catch fish.The guides have KILLED:mad::mad::mad: this lake most people could come to Greeson and have a good day crappie fishing but now we have 2 guides and it is hard to catch good fishing on Greeson.:banghead:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with Rut & Strut. I have lived near Lake Greeson most of my life and the crappie fishing is not near as good as it used to be. The guides do put a lot of cover in the lake, but it is all Bamboo and, in my opinion, doesn't hold fish as well as the cedar that a lot of the locals have put in. I would like to see a minimum length limit put on Greeson. I think they keep so many small fish that it is depleating our resource. If we had a 10" or 11" minimum lenghth limit, I wouldn't mind near as much. Just my opinion.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't personally know those guides but to say that they are keeping so many small fish seems like a stretch just going by the photo that was posted. I bet they don't have too many fish on that board that are under 10inches.

To back up what slipcork was saying...the guide that he used is active on another message board and helps to put on a crappie camp every year. At this camp they not only put on free seminars about crappie fishing but they also give out GPS coordinates to whoever shows up so that everyone can fish their bamboo condo's.

They are some of the good guys from what I have seen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't doubt that either one of the guides are good people, they have both always been very nice to me. I would just like to see the minimum length in place to require everyone (not just the guides) to take care of our lake.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I bet they don't have too many fish on that board that are under 10inches.
If I'm looking at the same picture, the only fish that are over 10 inches that I see are the 1 that the long-arm guy in front is holding and 7, maybe 8, on the board that advertises their long-armed guide service...:confused:

I bait my Yo-Yo's with bigger shinners than probably 50 of those perch. Maybe they didn't have to pay full price...I hope they didn't anyway...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Your right Slipcork they do make there on places to fish but most of the time they fish the older top that have been in this lake for year and are the best places to catch crappie and if you are fishing a top that will come right in and start fishing the top you are fishing and i do not think that is vear sportman like.

You all so said if i fished the lake more i would know it better well i would like to tell you this i have lived a 1/2 mile from LAKE GREESON for 30 years now and have fish it my hole life my hole family was here be for the lake was even built and my grandpaw helped cut the logs to build this lake.I have been fishing with my grandpaw and he showed me places to fish on hump and stuff like that you cold never find even if you fished the lake the rest of your life he knows this stuff is there because he help BUILD THIS LAKE so you think a couple of guides that have fished this lake for the past 4 or 5 years knows it better than me are my 80 year old grandpa that help build the lake you don't know what you are talking about.

O and by the way the guy that said the guides do not keep small fish under 10 inch's well here are some pic right off the web page how Manny fish do you see over 10 inch's.

Sorry you fill that way. But I don't think so. The guides make there own place to fish by putting in brush piles, they work VERY close with the AR Game and Fish to help that lake grow the fish that is does.

If you see them fishing some spots, when they are not there you go fish it. I fish down there without them too and they will even mark some spots or give me GPS locations to go fish.

Maybe if you were on that lake or any other lake over 200 days a year you would know it well and be able to catch fish like that. They're many guides in this state and that is what they do for a living.

So, in other words you are saying that any lake that guides fish on, that you can't catch fish?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
O and by the way the guy that said the guides do not keep small fish under 10 inch's well here are some pic right off the web page how Manny fish do you see over 10 inch's.
1st picture...7 out of 14 over 10 inches
2nd picture 2 out of 3 over 10 inches..not sure what bass length limit is, but I assume 12 inches...The one pictured ain't 12
3rd picture 8 out of 19 over 10 inches

...that's kinda like a duck guide posting pictures of a bunch of divers, or a deer guide putting up a picture of a forked horn or spike...unbelievable...

·
Registered
251 Posts

Impossible to say how long those fish are without measuring them. Anybody who says they can tell you for sure is lying. It's just anyone guess and it really doesn't matter. My guess is that most are at least 10 and if not just right below it. I fish a lake where you have a hard time catching a 10 inch crappie (at least I do) so I have seen a lot of 9 inch fish and those in the pic look bigger. Like a said just a guess.

It stinks that you can't post a pic on this forum be it deer, crappie or whatever without someone being overly critical of it.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/ad870/doylecrappie.jpg

I'd like to hear some estimates on the smallest crappie that are in this pic.
If those crappie were pictured the same was as Long-Armed Guide Service, I'd get ya within 1/4 of a inch. But pictured as they are, assuming that boot beside them is a size 12, I'd have to say the smallest is 7 1/2 to 8 inches...and there's several of them. The biggest is just a little under 13 inches. If that boot is a size 10 1/2 or a size 14....well, just add or subtract...

And, man, I'm not cracking on small fish...I've kept more small fish than most people have probably ever caught all sizes total...BUT, I am cracking on a "Guide Service" putting those pictures on their web page...

·
Registered
251 Posts
If those crappie were pictured the same was as Long-Armed Guide Service, I'd get ya within 1/4 of a inch. But pictured as they are, assuming that boot beside them is a size 12, I'd have to say the smallest is 7 1/2 to 8 inches...and there's several of them. The biggest is just a little under 13 inches. If that boot is a size 10 1/2 or a size 14....well, just add or subtract...

And, man, I'm not cracking on small fish...I've kept more small fish than most people have probably ever caught all sizes total...BUT, I am cracking on a "Guide Service" putting those pictures on their web page...
Jerry, you've got nothing in the guide service pics to compare the fish too and you can't accuratly guess the lengths on those any better then you can in the pic I posted. So what you have done is taken an unknown (the length of the fish) and you have used it to "crack" on this guide service and how they choose to run their business. These guys have figured out a way to crappie fish for a living and you say that they way they are running their business is "unbelivable". If you ask me they must be doing something right because I'm sitting in my office while they are out fishing.

How can you judge the length of a fish based on 3/4 of a boot?

By the way, the fish in the pic that I posted were all caught at TableRock in Mo and the length limit there is minimum 10 inches. The smallest fish in that pic were 10". Don't know what the biggest were.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
ad870,

I'm not too sure about you or anybody else, but I can tell the lenth of a crappie by 3/4 of a boot. I've got no problem with those Table Rock fish all being over 10 inches...like I said, I would adjust my estimates as to the size of that boot...obviously it's a size 14, maybe even 14 1/2...:biggrin: and not a size 12.

And the "unbelievable" I was talking about, was them posting those pictures on their website, not what they do for a living or hobby. I'm just saying that if I was running a duck hunting service, I sure would post a bunch of greenheads, not a bunch of mud ducks on my site...just like I wouldn't post a bunch of small paper lips if I was trying to get $300 a pop as a "guide". But that's just me, man...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.