Crappie Fishing Methods

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by BUCKSHOT_106, Jan 27, 2008.

1. BUCKSHOT_106

BUCKSHOT_106 Well-Known Member

What methods does everyone use when crappie fishing? Yo-yo's, jugs, floating yo-yo's. Homemade stuff??:biggrin:

2. JR

JR Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br

Gosh it has been a while since I went fishing, but I always just used a rod & reel baited with minnows. We might have to set up a fishing trip this spring. :biggrin:

3. troutman

troutman Well-Known Member

In my younger years I fished a lot with yo yos, but that is hard work. I have resorted to jig poles mostly and I love to use jugs madeup of a piece of small noodle about 8 inches long with a clothes hanger attached with mono line and a crappie hook about 2 to 4 ft long. Had a blast at Overcup last year using that rig. I fish Erling more than any other place and have not used this set up yet, but plan to this year. We catfish with jugs a lot there and do very well. I'm about ready for a mess of slabs. Try this set up, it's fun.
    P.S. I lied, I trout fish more than I White Perch fish.:biggrin:

4. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

5 1/2' limber rod and an old well oiled zebco 33.....6lb line.....1/8th ounce flathead jig with chartruese 1" curlytail grub. Tight line or slow rolled!

5. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Well-Known Member

We do it all, pole wise, from trolling, to tight line, to fishing with a bobber. :thumb:

6. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

how about some pics of that setup.

I mostly fish with yoyos or troll with a minnow or small beetle spin.

7. jimmyh

jimmyh Well-Known Member

10 or 12 foot jig pole. sometimes minnows sometimes jigs.

8. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

10 - 14' jig pole with my secret "minnow-esque" lure.

9. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

East End
    12 foot buck's jig pole with a chartreuse and black jig.

10. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

Same here John, except I usually use an open face reel and the spools can be changed which allows a 4 lb. test line on one spool and a 6 lb on the other one. I love that curly tail grub in Chartreuse or white.

11. Buba Garrett

Buba Garrett Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

I like a minner for dunkin and a jig for pitchin:thumb:I like tippin my jig with a lil crappie treat- Berkley power bites!

12. lilturkeyhunter

lilturkeyhunter Well-Known Member

Iuka
    Now realize that I fish deep, clear water.

Light action rod, I prefer a G Loomis
    Small tube jig in your choice of bright color, I prefer pink with white skirt
    Cast, and retrieve, slowly jerking it up and letting it fall back down

Works wonders on those ole slabs up here in Norfork!

You bottom boys can use your yo-yos, but I'm pretty sure us hill-folks aren't allowed such contraptions!

Amy

13. fish

fish Guest

As far as I can find they're legal. Problem is without high water where would you find a place to set them at Norfork ?:confused:

14. lilturkeyhunter

lilturkeyhunter Well-Known Member

Iuka
    I had never seen yo-yos until I started dating (and married) a fella from the bottoms. I just assumed they were illegal since I'd never seen my dad or any of my uncles use them in my entire life.

I have seen limb lines so yo-yos would work in those place.

Amy

15. BUCKSHOT_106

Setting out yo-yo's year a round is my favorite. I know guys that set out yo-yo's and duck hunt at the same time. Yea were in the Bottoms

16. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

Yep, there was a guy I hunted with a couple weeks ago doing that! Would go out to look for a downed bird...and check the yo-yo's. :smack: :thumb:

17. yjjeeper

yjjeeper Well-Known Member

lost
  18. BUCKSHOT_106

Anyone ever fished at night with one of the submergible lights, the ones said to attract crappie?:head: :dontknow:

19. yjjeeper

yjjeeper Well-Known Member

lost
    I think they attract insects, which attracts baitfish, which attracts crappie.

20. We (my Father-in-Law, Brothers-in-Law and me) run yo-yos when we can, jig most of the time with jiggin poles, but have also been known to troll (me moreso with my buddies). Whichever method is bringing in the fish, is the method we'll use!