Coyote traps?

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by silentassassin, May 17, 2017.

1. silentassassin

silentassassin Well-Known Member

I need some recommendations on coyote traps. I've run some dog proofs but that's the extent of the trapping I've done. I'm only need a half dozen or so and I plan on running some dirt holes and flat sets. What kind of traps would you recommend? Any other tips? And anybody have any for sale? Thanks

2. d2

d2 Well-Known Member

I like 1.75's or 2's, I use off sets if I'm catching the coyotes to sell alive. I have some no. 3's out now behind the house because coyotes are coming through the yard and have took to carrying on around here like they own the place. The 3's I have out now are rubber jawed so if I catch the neighbors dog he'll never know about it. I like Victor coils springs because it takes less of a hole than the long springs and are easier for me to bed. The larger Dukes tend to need a little more work than the Victor or Blake/Lambs to make them work right and are better made as far as I am concerned...d2

silentassassin likes this.

3. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

These are my favorites. MB 550 four coil offset jaws.

k9trapper and silentassassin like this.
  4. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

I like a dirt hole punch for making the hole. You can make it deep where they have to work to get to the bait. Not sure how this would work in real rocky ground.

https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Augers+Punches/Dirt+Hole+Punch

I also like the earth anchors with cable attached and if you use them, you will need a driver. Also need some "s" hooks to attach the cable to the trap.

https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/...nchors/Freedom+Brand+Wolf+Fang+Earth+Anchors/

You can make a dirt sifter or buy one.

5. silentassassin

Thanks gentlemen, great info here as usual!

6. armyguy

armyguy Well-Known Member

X2 on the MBs with cable stakes.

7. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

Duke #4 coil springs, and double stake the trap as mentioned.

8. earl blevins

earl blevins Well-Known Member

i use 55 gr of lead at about 3800 fps

heacret and armyguy like this.
  9. Dmille5

Dmille5 Well-Known Member

Go with the MBs if you're only needing half dozen!I use DUKE but only the smaller ones 11/2amd 11,YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

k9trapper and silentassassin like this.
  10. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

Why smaller ?

11. meatgravy

meatgravy Well-Known Member

I agree with the others. I run mainly MB 550's, 650's, and Bridger 1.75's and 2's. All work very well, but the MB's are mini tanks. I also use pogo and super stake anchors. If you plan to use earth anchors of any sort and want to reuse them invest in some sort of stake puller. Your back will thank you.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    k9trapper likes this.
  12. silentassassin

Anyone have a half dozen or so mb 550's they would sell?

13. Wayne Watson

Wayne Watson Well-Known Member

There will be plenty at the Grand Sports Show. The good thing about shows and conventions, the dealers usually would rather sell them than load them back up and take them home.

14. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

I use mb 650 on coyotes and cats.

k9trapper likes this.
  15. k9trapper

k9trapper Active Member

MB traps are basically the Cadillac of traps, you can't go wrong with an MB. However, they are also one of the more expensive traps. Bridger and Sleepy Creek traps in 1.75 to #2 will catch just as many coyotes for a little less money. I personally prefer the #2 because the wider jaw spread with proper pan tension consistently makes good catches on or above the pad. I personally have had some bad experiences with Victor, but I know they work great for some people. I also would recommend cable or chain stakes. Very reliable, and I think sometimes really does a lot to prevent trap theft because of how hard they hold. Don't skimp here, I made the mistake of using cheap disposable stakes, and it was only frustration, waste of time, and money. In west central AR where I trapped, there is some nasty shale that really tests stakes. If you are trapping softer soil, it's not as crucial. Hope this can be of help...

Wayne Watson likes this.