Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hmmm. I live in a 'subdivision', I guess, but 1 to 3 acre lots. Plus, the city limits is our back property line, and woods behind. Lots of deer back there. I've heard coyotes here before, several times, but not really often.

Last night, right at dark, a pack fired off. But it just sounded strange. Not so strange that I put much stock in it, but not normal. I went outside and stood and listened, in the dark, and they were gone. The noise was so close it's possible they heard me come out and took off. But it was not a normal coyote sound.

One thing I DID notice was that every outside dog in 3 miles was barking. Course, SOME of those dogs are whiny lap dogs, and SOME sounded high pitched and whiny. So maybe that's what you heard.
No it wasn't a dog. There's 3 snippy little dogs around but they stay inside.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
Maybe the death throes of whatever critter the pack had corralled and had begun to eat???

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
I'll say one more thing. We heard this wild sound at deer camp for years. CLOSE to the cabin, every night. Wouldn't run off. We'd shoot into the woods and it just kept on.

Finally we recorded it and I sent it to a biologist. He said FOX. I researched fox sounds, and they have 31 separate sounds. This one was "alarm bark". But boy are there some weird fox sounds!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thanks. I was hoping that among all these hunters someone had heard it. Yes, all the dogs were going nuts all around. I forgot to mention that. Any speculation as whether is was just a coyote? That's my guess, just never heard one make that sound.
Speculation = bigfoot. It was like he was trying to sleep and screamed shut up.

·
Premium Member
5,453 Posts
The sound you heard was a coyote. She was probably the overseer of the pack. The matrix. She, likely gave her life to warn all of nature that a Booger was near. She probably tried in vain to ward off the attack; only to be ripped from jaw to butthole.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Tuesday morning about 5AM behind my house about 75 yards or so the coyotes made one hell of a racket. The dog went nuts my wife got pissed and I got up to look. As they were making the racket it sounded like a neighbors alarm went off. It was like a police car was in my back yard. The next day I check the neighbors and no one has an alarm. It lasted about 10 seconds. I've heard many coyotes over the years but never heard one make a sound like that. Anyone else?
I’m pretty sure I’ve heard the sound you are talking about.
It’s like a harmony coming 2+ coyotes howling at the same time with a similar pitch.
Pretty strange for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
So the coyotes were his pets? Over the last 4 nights I have pictures of 4 different ones on my game camera. None that night though.
Joe: There are many recordings of BF vocalizing like what you heard and described. The sound is some what typical in mountainous areas for some reason. Coyote groups typically bed in hearing distance of a BF family bedding areas, About "dark thirty" at night the male BF start vocalizing - their "gathering call" to other male BF in the area. The coyotes will go nuts, and joint in on this racket. BF will allow coyotes to follow behind them as they hunt at night, but will run and down and skin alive one of the coyotes in the pack if they mess up a stalk or kill for BF.. Know that as fact. It is a very pitiful sound to hear.
Regards.

·
Registered
31,875 Posts
Joe: There are many recordings of BF vocalizing like what you heard and described. The sound is some what typical in mountainous areas for some reason. Coyote groups typically bed in hearing distance of a BF family bedding areas, About "dark thirty" at night the male BF start vocalizing - their "gathering call" to other male BF in the area. The coyotes will go nuts, and joint in on this racket. BF will allow coyotes to follow behind them as they hunt at night, but will run and down and skin alive one of the coyotes in the pack if they mess up a stalk or kill for BF.. Know that as fact. It is a very pitiful sound to hear.
Regards.
^^^^^This^^^^^

21 - 40 of 56 Posts