Coyote set

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by firecat, Dec 6, 2012.

1. firecat

firecat Well-Known Member

made 2 sets for yotes in sandy creek bottom. knew den was nearby and lots of fresh tracks after rain and i snared a black one there last year. got on sandy rise about 10ft from trail and double staked #2 bridger, made 2 inch mouse hole and dropped in mouse i caught couple days ago. backed it with windwalker and dab of red fox pee. had him by toe and he pulled out. it was mistake on my part. i set pan tension too light and trap fired just soon as he touched it resulting in toe or toenail catch. if i had just set pan with more tension so he could rest his foot he would been solid caught. i knew better but had brain farts it seems. how much pan tension do you guys use on yotes sets?

2. Golden09

Golden09 Well-Known Member

Different strokes for different folks but most people use around 2lbs

3. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

On the dvds some went with 3 pds if u had cats around. I bought one of the trap pd checkers and went thru and set my on 2 3/4 to 3 pds . That way u don't catch non target animals. When I made a cat catch last yr his paw was touching the pan with the trap fired that's how far I had him caught up on his leg no toe pinches that way. But that's me.

4. firecat

firecat Well-Known Member

i went thru all my yote and cat traps and set them at 2 1/2 lbs

5. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

Watch a house cat when its after a bird or something. When it moves he wont step on a stick it will place ft down and not put all it weight down on a ft that has something under it that make a sound. It comes to a place and put a ft down and it don't move it will move forward and put its weight on that ft and on ( bobcat) 3 pd u will make a good catch
    Not if u got it to lite it steps on something and it gives it will jerk its paw back that's how u get toe catches..