Coyote problem

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by TrophyFishR, Nov 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TrophyFishR

TrophyFishR Well-Known Member

NWA
    I've noticed that my deer herd is down in numbers this year. I counted 8 deer on Sunday. There were 23 last February when I quit hunting. Recently I've seen coyotes on the game camera. Maybe 5 times outta the last month.
    I really want them gone. What's the easiest way to attract & kill coyotes? I've never hunted for them & never tried calling for them. Any advice is welcome

2. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Probably the best thing to do is get a knowledgeable trapper to come in and remove some. Nothing easy about removing coyotes

armyguy and meatgravy like this.

3. southeasthog

southeasthog Well-Known Member

Guy on our lease in South Arkansas shot a doe with his bow Saturday evening. Lost blood in the dark and didn't want to be roaming all through the woods so left it for Sunday morning. He found it that morning and the coyotes had picked the bones clean. First time we have had that happen.

4. SwampCat

That is a common occurrence at our place. We have had hams eaten off deer less than an hour after being shot

5. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My very first deer hunting experience here in Arkansas was an eye opener on the coyote situation. My husband shot a buck and he naturally took off down hill as they all do in the Ouachitas. Had good blood and knew he was hit well and wouldn't go far. So we followed the blood maybe 5 minutes after the shot. We heard running in the leaves and thought crap...we jumped him. Nope...that was the coyotes...they had apparently chased that buck after the shot and pulled him down by the back end and tried to get some meat before we got there and scared them off. Seriously...they were on him before he hit the ground!

HEVI D, trapsetter1, R6mm and 2 others like this.
  6. silentassassin

silentassassin Well-Known Member

Do you trap them?

7. SwampCat

I trap/snare a few every year on my home ground. I have trapped a lot but have never become a proficient coyote trapper. I think it is my endurance that allows me to be successful every now and then. I keep them pretty well beat back on my home ground now. I have another piece of property about ten miles away I dont usually trap and they are thick over there.

8. TrophyFishR

NWA
    I'm surprised the inlaws rat terrier hasn't been torn into pieces by the coyotes. They're running within 60 yards of the back porch.
    So I have lots of time to spend extracting them or shooting them.

9. silentassassin

silentassassin Well-Known Member

10/4, they are so thick on my place I'm going to pay someone to come in and trap. I've recruited a couple of neighbors to allow trapping on them as well. I'm hoping to get them beat back heavily before spring. There may be more move in to take their spot but we'll just have to stay after them because as thick as they are they've got to be taking a devastating toll on the fawns.

HEVI D and BeaverOutdoorsman like this.
  10. armyguy

armyguy Well-Known Member

Read up on predator/Fawn mortality. Some pretty interesting studies were done that shows how many fawns get eaten every year. Not only by coyotes but bobcats and bears also. Shoot everyone you see and trap the rest

ldsturg and HEVI D like this.
  11. SwampCat

My coyotes will usually move off me for awhile when I start trapping them and kill one or two and leave them on display. But, they will show back up come fawning season and check out the best fawning cover nightly. Think this year I am going to plant watermelons in every food plot. Will have to trap around those food plots to keep the coyotes out of the watermelons.;)

curdog1 and armyguy like this.
  12. armyguy

armyguy Well-Known Member

That is thinking outside the box

redoak likes this.
  13. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Se ark
    Hang some chicken parts on big treble hooks bout 4.5 ft off the ground

curdog1 likes this.
  14. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

Shhhh. Don't be saying that out where just everybody can see it. Gotta pm that kind of thing.

trapsetter1 and Punkinseed like this.
  15. ARoutdoorman

ARoutdoorman Well-Known Member

New a guy one time that killed a big coyote and hung it in a tree in the middle of pasture..didn’t have another come out there till it rotted and fell

16. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Rumor heard thru a friend of a friend of a 3rd removed cousin’s brother in law said you can take the plastic Brillo pads, soak them in fish grease, scatter them about and put a real dent in the Yote population. Cannot digest nor pass thru system. Said also has same effect on dogs also, good and bad so caution should be observed.

17. TrophyFishR

NWA
    ldsturg likes this.
  18. HORJUA

HORJUA Well-Known Member

I use hounds . Mine run to catch

19. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

harrison
    Do they catch most coyotes that they get after? How long does it take them to run one down?

20. HORJUA

HORJUA Well-Known Member

It might take 1-2 hours just depends. They catch a lot

curdog1 likes this.