Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
Btech I love how I use the phrase “couldn’t call themselves out of a wet paper sack In the daytime” so many people see these guys killing them at night with their high dollar thermal and gadgets and think that predator hunting is easy just go set up and kill some dogs well I’ve been after them hard for the last 6 years the first 2 I never fired a shot at a called animal the next couple years I would kill a few then the last 2 years I really done good considering the ground I have to hunt on most of my stands have to over lap and have to call to the same packs of dogs nearly every hunt!! This year has been really tough on me I’ve hunted hard and have only called in 3 yotes that I got eyes on!!! It’s been a struggle the last couple weeks hopefully it gets better soon I’m just not seeing any activity or hearing any locating at night
Its tough when you dont have lots of ground, so dont be too hard on yourself. Its hard when you have to call the same spots over and over. Im just fortunate to have an almost endless supply of fresh ground. I could come call the stuff you are calling and not kill any either. Its just what I enjoy so I travel and spend lots of time gathering ground. Skill is a small part of it, the biggest thing is the ability to find ground. Not everyone has the time or money to waste on coyotes. I dont spend as much time as I use too. I use to make 4 to 500 stands a year. Imagine the ground it takes to do that. That is the only difference in me and anyone else. When you have the chance to make that many stands you just start learning things.

Reactions: trent87

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes sir I’ve been calling some new ground the past couple days and no success just don’t seem like their working right now in this part of the world I feel like if they were there and willing I could kill them but time will change that maybe I’d love to make a trip west sometime but don’t have the funds for guides or outfitters

·
Premium Member
33,502 Posts
Really, Really Enjoy Coyote hunting..
Bought a Marlin 22 Mag..(22 special) back in 1980.. Don't know how many Have taken with that Rifle..
Usually carry it and my Mossberg 20 Gauge with heavy shot.. Deadly out to 50 yards on coyotes..
I like being mobile much like Turkey Hunting..
Like the Brushy wear camo.
Mouth calls..Have called in more coyotes and Bob cats with a Turkey call.." lost call" 7 high pitched fast yelps.." when a turkey is lost from the flock.."..Than any other..
Take 3-4 coyotes every Spring.. Turkey hunting..
Had a coyote brush my elbow last year calling in a Gobbler for my cousin...
Rabbit Distress,cotton tail..... Works great..5-10 Second is usually all I need..
We are covered up in coyotes.. covered up..
We shoot a deer got to get it or the coyotes will..
Good Hunting... Enjoying the Thread..

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
Had a good day in the snow today. Kilt 7 here in Arkansas. They came really good. Got a black one but it was mangy. No pics cause they are covered in snow in the back of my truck. Doing a local contest. I'm sure someone else kilt 8.
Btech29, please give me your thoughts on this, I have heard different answers to this question over the years.
Do adult coyotes usually bed down in the same place, or area, each night ? (if they are not in a den with young cubs, or searching for a mate during mating season)

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
Btech29, please give me your thoughts on this, I have heard different answers to this question over the years.
Do adult coyotes usually bed down in the same place, or area, each night ? (if they are not in a den with young cubs, or searching for a mate during mating season)
I honestly dont know the answer to that. Of course when they are denning or once they are paired up they have a core area. During the early winter months when all they are doing is thinking of food I would guess the younger coyotes move around a bit. Since they mate for life I would think the pairs stay pretty tight and den in the same basic area every year.

I dont call the same spot over and over, but I will say the last 2 weeks I have called and killed a coyote in the exact same spot a few days apart. The only reason I tried was because I was trying to call cats. I may be leaving coyotes on the table, but the averages tell me to move on to fresh ground. Cats of course are different. They dont get call shy and just because they aint there today, dont mean they wont be there tomorrow.

I will say that once I find a good spot, I kill coyotes there every year. If I call a pair and kill them both I can go back to the exact same spot the next year and do it again. Same with denning. There is a reason coyotes are there. Kill whats there and more will take their spot.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts