Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a new lab owner and i have a couple of training questions. i can get her to retrieve and basic commands, but how do i get her to look up..silly question, but when i throw my dummie she waits till it hits the ground to retrieve. she is 3.5 months old. are there any definitive books that are a must to read when training a lab for hunting? also, i have seen alot of posts and ads for them in cabelas, and all sorts of places...what are e-collars, and could I benefit from using one?

·
Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>
467 Posts
You need to focus on her retrieving desire and have fun with no pressure/puppy training until she is at least 6 months old. Throw bumpers, dokkens and real birds on land and water and just have fun, the detailed training will come after 6 months of age. Do not mix obediance and retrieving together at this point always do them in separate sessions for now. She will learn to look up as her training progresses, not a big deal right now. :thumb:

·
Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>
467 Posts
And be careful with the ecollar if you go that rout. Timing and proper conditioning is very important with the ecoller (electronic collar). Call me if you need any help! 870-830-6524.:thumb:

·
Registered
95 Posts
at 3.5 months old sounds like she is doing good. A great dvd to get in Fowl Dawgs. Rick does an awesome job in this video on showing how to basic train you puppy/young dog. And like lost creek said, be care on the collar they need to be properly collar conditioned before you start using one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts