Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
I use corn in moderation for baiting, it has very little nutritional value and will actually slow down deers digestion which is totally counterproductive.
I corn the heck out of the center of my property trying in vain to save my deer from total devastation...... I buy corn cheap so it's not a big deal and makes me feel better

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Where did you get this info
From a whitetail biologist. I'm actually taking his class for the 2nd time this year.

Deer are ruminants, too much corn will slow down the rumen, their digestive cycle. In the winter their digestive cycle slows down due to lack of food. Corn is mostly starch and will turn to lactic acid and can cause subacute rumen acidosis

Something like that. I can't remember exactly what it does, but basically too much corn is bad and can make them come up lame and even kill.

Deer know to some degree to self regulate which is what deer in corn agri places do, but not so much here the last thing I want to do is give a hungry deer all the corn they want.

Right now when there is a lot of woody browse for them to mix with the corn to help digest its not that bad of a thing, but when it's all gone I'm real careful w corn.

Like I said I'm just the student but both times he's stressed this point hard. Corn is basically energy (7-8% protein 80-85% starch) and at times you want to give them the most energy and minerals to grow big racks, but too much of a good thing can be counterproductive.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Limiting factors for deer
1. Food Quanity
2. Food Quality
3. Water
4. Interspersion/Bio Diversity
5. Cover/Bedding

I'm trying to increase Food Quantity and quality. Best way to increase Quantity it to take your does early on, if they can, deer will eat 5.5 lbs of dry plant matter per head per day, so every deer you remove and the earlier you potentially save that food for others.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Limiting factors for deer
1. Food Quanity
2. Food Quality
3. Water
4. Interspersion/Bio Diversity
5. Cover/Bedding

I'm trying to increase Food Quantity and quality. Best way to increase Quanity it to take your does early on, if they can deer will eat 5.5 lbs of dry plant matter per head per day, so every deer you remove and the earlier you potentially save that food for others.
Yea and if you're somewhere with not many doe you potentially run your bucks out of the country to find doe else where. What works on heavily populated agri country doesn't work everywhere.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yea and if you're somewhere with not many doe you potentially run your bucks out of the country to find doe else where. What works on heavily populated agri country doesn't work everywhere.
If you don't have many deer then the food quantity might not be much of an issue, if it is then work on increasing the amount of food with controlled burns and food plots. I hunt and own land in NWA and around the Buffalo River that what I'm trying to do for those areas, so to your point different areas of the state your methods will have to be different, but the same rules apply.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.