Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In talking to a few folks that been doing some scouting in the Ouahita's I hear there is allot of corn being dumped around allot of gated roads! I guess with the shorter season as well as the later opening some people feel they need a UNFAIR advantage! I hope these folks get caught in the act as I hear some are already being watched and I for 1 will turn anyone I see doing this as a advantage to bait a area! I know allot of you folks are big supporters of Turkey hunting the right way and promoting folks to enjoy the sport its ashame that some folks always try to find a easier way to get a result!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Naw, Buba...what they are is mad and jealous....so they plan on turning you in for hunting a baited area! It's a sad thing it's come to this, but I be darned if I lose my hunting priveleges over some sorehead throwing corn out around my honey hole!:mad: :wink:

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys sumin needs done here and I can see reasons behind both sides but dang it stinks(Being Nice) that finally a area I hunt has been gated which I like and now I cant hunt it because some Jerk is baiting it on public land!

·
3,605 Posts
Guys sumin needs done here and I can see reasons behind both sides but dang it stinks(Being Nice) that finally a area I hunt has been gated which I like and now I cant hunt it because some Jerk is baiting it on public land!

Sad!:frown:
I hope those clowns get caught!
Buba........I could use that $750 reward, can you give me some coordinates?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I wonder if the 12% pellets I've got out for the deer would be considered baiting for turkey?

Yep, but if you remove it tomorrow you would be legal for opening day.

I guess you need a corn detector to hunt on public land without risking a citation. Sheesh.

hd

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
With all this being said, I need to bring up something that was horrible, that I heard some :censored: said they did some time back. I had come in for lunch and was at a check station/restaurant. These two guys had been scouting some public land and found some goblers working it. They were in there the day before the season opened and had two different groups of hunters scouting the area. The guys they ran into stated they would be back the next day to hunt. Well, these two :censored: decided if they weren't able to hunt it without being bothered, they would fix it so that anyone hunting that area would be hunting illegal. They went back late that evening and put out 200 lbs of corn in the an area the turkeys had been scratching!!!!!!! They then called the local WO and told them they knew of guys hunting a baited area. They were bragging about it to some guy they knew at the store. Apparently they didn't know I was listening. What a pair of :censored: !!!!! I called the local WO but was told since it was hearsay, he couldn't really do anything unless he had caught them doing the baiting or had proof. I didn't ever hear if anyone got in trouble for hunting that area, but boy did I hope those two :censored: would have got in a heap of trouble! That was one of the lowest things I have ever heard of being done to someone.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
BAITING... The direct or indirect placing, exposing, depositing, distributing or
scattering of salt, grain or other feed that could serve as a lure or attraction for
wildlife to, on or over any areas where hunters are attempting to take them.
YEP !!:wink:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I guess if I plan on being in the area I figure I had better go to the farm tomorrow. Have you ever actually saw a turkey eatting that stuff?

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
What would you guys do if someone had given you permission to hunt turkeys on there land, that they also hunt, but are baiting itup? I have got access to some really good land, but I do not want to rat out the owner...should I just stay away from it for turkey season?

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
What would you guys do if someone had given you permission to hunt turkeys on there land, that they also hunt, but are baiting itup? I have got access to some really good land, but I do not want to rat out the owner...should I just stay away from it for turkey season?
I believe that I would stay away.
If you get caught, is the owner going to pay your ticket?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I guess if I plan on being in the area I figure I had better go to the farm tomorrow. Have you ever actually saw a turkey eatting that stuff?
Possum...the (cattle)pellets that I feed have chipped corn included in the mix. You can actually break one up and see the small pieces of corn.

Have had lots of turkey pictures at the feeders picking up dinner. Think they are getting the corn bits and not the pellet.

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A question- and understand what Folks do on there own land and behind there gates of there leases isnt any of my business but with the Green Up in Full swing at least here do the deer really benefit from Corn right now- It will be interesting to see how many fresh piles I find this weekend scattered about:smack:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
I would certainly agree that turkeys will eat even in cow patties that have corn...because corn doesn't really digest 100%...but the whole idea of baiting turkeys is mostly hogwash unless you plan to shoot hens and an occasional jake....this time of year the adult gobblers tend to do a lot more chasing, fighting, strutting, and gobbling than they do eating. Once the ritual begins, you will be damn lucky if you see a gobbler at a corn feeder. I know everybody is gonna jump up and argue, but that has been my experience. It may be that's why certain interests have been trying to shut down afternoon hunting, because after chasing hens all morning the gobblers do a frantic feeding right before flyup! Suffice it to say: you ain't spit as a turkey hunter if you shoot over bait. The real turkey hunter can CALL THE GOBBLER AWAY FROM THREE ACTUAL HENS!!:wink:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts