Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a friend of a friend, that feeding deer was gonna be banned, the buzz is that so many deer corn sacks are blowing out of the back of pickup trucks. I also heard that a sampling was done and as many as 15 sacks were found in a one mile stretch. People have begun to complain to their representatives about the problem. Should we maybe get the word out to as many lease groups and other hunters, to try and head this off??:confused: Anybody else hearing this??:rolleyes:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Gonna have to ban beer, soda, trash bags, cigarettes, and just about anything else that people throw on the sides of our roads if you use that logic. Why pick on hunters?

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
How does anyone know its not a farmer who fed his cows or chickens? I see all kinds of sacks on the road, during planting time, seed and fertilizer sacks. Banning feeders is not gonna stop litter on the road. If thats the case, we might look at banning any type of fast food and drinking in vehicles, maybe smoking, you know how smoking sure causes some road side fires. My point is, there is already laws on littering, maybe we should enforce them.

·
53,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does anyone know its not a farmer who fed his cows or chickens? I see all kinds of sacks on the road, during planting time, seed and fertilizer sacks. Banning feeders is not gonna stop litter on the road. If thats the case, we might look at banning any type of fast food and drinking in vehicles, maybe smoking, you know how smoking sure causes some road side fires. My point is, there is already laws on littering, maybe we should enforce them.
I'm on your side with that.....I police up the grabbage in my green mile!:thumb:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
John...You can expect it, and not because of the litter. It is one of the highlights in the new plan.

also...
A post by twodog (biologist on the new Deer Team) a while back.

There is plenty of scientific evidence that indicates a connection between baiting and disease spread. Corn does very little for a deer as it is all carbohydrates and no protein which is what deer really need. Anyway if you have so many deer that you have to feed them to enable them to survive then you need to start killing deer and quit worrying about buying corn. And as others have said shooting deer over a bait pile is not hunting it is just killing. Hunting is wearing out boots looking the woods over finding where deer are using and then doing what it takes to kill a deer.
The part that says..
"it is all carbohydrates and no protein which is what deer really need"

Actually the deer require little in the way of "protein" in the winter months (when most feed) and the "carbohydrates" are of much more benefit during winter months. Most biologists know this.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have heard this but not due to the fact of the trash. A biologist told my dad they considering doing this because they think there are a number of deer obtaining this cronic waste disease or whatever it is they are calling it, are getting it from feeding corn. Now I dont know the extent of the situation or the truth of it, I just know this is what we were told and they are beginning to see this and finding out its a contributing factor.

Take it for what its worth.......

·
53,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna have to ban beer, soda, trash bags, cigarettes, and just about anything else that people throw on the sides of our roads if you use that logic. Why pick on hunters?
I found a black burned circle today......as I did my detective work, I came up with only one piece of evidence.....a cigarette butt that had burned down to the filter leaving an ash residue almost 3/4" long. Oh, and about the bags......they were said to be counting only the corn sacks that had "deer corn" logos.:wink:

·
Grand Member
9,754 Posts
The local feed mill here sacks all it's corn in deer sacks, said they cost the same as plain sacks, so the use them for all their corn.

·
Super Moderator
12,941 Posts
While driving down the highway yesterday I saw a sack blow out of the back of my truck. I normally try to crush them down to avoid this happening and then throw them in the trash when I get home. As I saw the sack blow out, I also saw a state trooper right on my tail:eek: Needless to say, I pulled over, turned around, and went back and got my sack. The trooper kept on his merry way! :whew:

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
There is plenty of scientific evidence that indicates a connection between baiting and disease spread.
Stopping baiting will not stop disease spread. IF a disease somehow enters a area, most likely it will effect the herd just as much as it would without baiting.

Corn does very little for a deer as it is all carbohydrates and no protein which is what deer really need.
Yes deer need protein, but carbs sure help in the tough winter.

Anyway if you have so many deer that you have to feed them to enable them to survive then you need to start killing deer and quit worrying about buying corn.
First off, I don't think there is a deer in this state that must have corn to survive with the mild winters we have had. Outside of the ozarks, when its a poor acorn crop, I think the deer have had plenty of late browse to sustain life. Without the deep snows to cover browse, like other harsher wintered northern states we are ok.

And as others have said shooting deer over a bait pile is not hunting it is just killing. Hunting is wearing out boots looking the woods over finding where deer are using and then doing what it takes to kill a deer.
Whether I hunt over a honeysuckle thicket, a trail, a late season acorn tree, or a bait pile, a bottle neck, or a thicket. Its hunting and then killing hopefully, anything outside a small fence has no quarantee's in my book. And yes I wear a pair of boots out no matter which option I take each year.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Firehog...we agree on this one..:wink:

He is calling it "baiting" but he(they) is wanting "feeding" to stop. Big difference there. Some states allow feeding but not hunting over it.

Feeding does NOT cause disease and the time to stop it is when a disease is a fact...not a "could be" knee jerk reaction.

"They" have more bullets in their gun than we do...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Folks think running dogs is a hotly heated issue, some I guess have no ideal what this would create. Folks would come out of the woodwork if this was passed I promise. Here is the key thing to remember. Number one, our harvest numbers are stable, no over kill, no under kill. Number two, I feel IMO it would decrease hunter numbers, maybe not alot, but I think it would reduce some. Third and this is the biggest. It would cut back a tremendous amount of revenue, not just from corn sale, but gas for trips to feed, and trips to go hunt. I know of many many hunters who would not go hunt late season if they didn't have some bait to hunt over late season. They either don't have the natural food available or the ground is just not good late season hunting. Baiting does allow a poor piece of ground a better chance at seeing something and in return it does allow for harvest. Fourth thing is we need to kill deer bottom line, some hunters are accustom to baiting, if it helps them and there is no negatives to the herd and I think our history has shown none, then lets not create things worse to make folks wear out a pair of boots just to kill a deer. You may end up with a over populated herd in some areas. Then we can talk disease.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
I know feeding would not cause disease, but I have often wondered if it would not make the spread of disease from deer to deer more likely. It would seem that concentrating the feeding to a feeder, especially the trough or pipe type feeders, would make it more likely to spread whatever from one deer to another. Seems that acorns, browse, food plots, etc. would not concentrate the deer nearly as much. Kind of like eating at the same restaurant compared to eating off the same plate. No knee jerking here, just my thoughts on the matter. However, if a biologist had any evidence that this was true, stopping the practice would make sense to me. I have never hunted over a bait pile, but have been doing a little experimenting here at the house. The deer are eating 75 pounds or so a week, and I have not seen one hit the feeder in the daylight yet. Baiting is certainly not a sure thing kill.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
If you go and read the results of the AGFC "staff" meetings, you will readily see the road that the staff wants to take on the feeding issue. (More bullets than us)

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
The point is...feeding does not cause disease.
Sure it should be outlawed during a disease outbreak...as it COULD assist in the spread of the disease.

No reason to use that "knee jerk" thingy in a healthy herd. It will be easy to pass the ban when and IF a CWD (or such) outbreak happens.

It is also a proven fact that a well fed, healthy deer is much less likely to be attacked by parasites or disease than an undernourished deer.

Go through this map and see just how many states allow "feeding". May surprise you.

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/FeederLaws/

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I would be indifferent if they banned them during deer season, but I would have an issue for after season and during the summer months. Think about how many people have feeders out for thier trail cameras, or feed hogs, or bait hog traps.

I see more deer in my food plots at one time than I have ever seen gathered at a feeder.....could that cause disease spread.....if so then food plots would be on the chopping block

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
John,,,,,,,,if I've told ya once, I've told ya a thousand times.....Put a weight on them dang sacks before ya go drivin down the road!:smack: Now look what ya've went & done :rolleyes: Will you EVER learn?:confused: :fit:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts