Copperhead Showdown

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by Swamper-AR, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Swamper-AR

Swamper-AR Well-Known Member

Ran some beagles yesterday. I was walking along and the dogs were hunting along with me when I looked down and saw a good size copperhead with his mouth open ready to strike. I did a quick draw with my 22 pistol. That was his last mistake. I hate walking up on snakes no matter what kind. :eek: Watch out in this warm weather.

2. hunter_3780

hunter_3780 Select Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner

man i have ever see a snake this time of year. i guess i need to pay a little more attention when im putting out corn.

3. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

It's rare but it does happen. Me and a hunting buddy were out rabbit hunting a small patch of woods one winter. Had about 2inches of snow on the ground. It had warmed up abit but the snow was still on the ground. Came up on a patch of ground that wasn't shaded by the timber. No snow. And in that patch of warmed earth were several snakes. We unloaded, loaded, unloaded,.... till we were convinced all of them were dead. Got to looking around and found a hole that they had apparently all used to den up in. The conditions were just right that day to warm them up and out they came.

4. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

I have found snakes several times in the winter months. I was doing a timber cruse on the Magazine District once and found a rattlesnake about 45 inches long in February. It is not uncommon to find Copperheads in the winter on warm days.

5. Acd

Acd Member

At holland bottoms yesterday... Got to the very back where the 2 creeks join. Wouldn't you know look down to plan my next few steps... Cotton mouth sitting there shot him look to the left..yep shot that one and another!! Then I shot a stick.... It looked like one too

6. Big E

Big E Well-Known Member

hahahahah!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like something i'd do.

7. Vern Humphrey

Vern Humphrey Well-Known Member

Actually, snakes in winter aren't all that uncommon. The most dangerous is the Ozark Snow Snake. They don't bite -- they crall up your pants leg and freeze your gonads off.:biggrin:

8. Gumbo Guru

Gumbo Guru Member<br>2013-14 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

:clap:

9. Swamper-AR

Swamper-AR Well-Known Member

You have personal experience with a Ozark Snow Snake?:whistle:

10. Vern Humphrey

My personal experience is with the Virginia variety.

When I was in the Army, I took up bicycling. I used to ride back and forth to work, to keep in shape. At Fort Eustis, that was a twelve or thirteen mile ride, each way.

To beat the traffic, I'd get up around 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning and pedal in in the cold, dark hours of the day.

Now, cycling is hard work, and it keeps you warm, no matter how cold it gets. Even your ears radiate heat like a jackrabbit's. There is, however, one part of your body that doesn't stay warm in cold weather. You solve that problem by stuffing a wool scarf down your cycling shorts.

We had had a long, balmy Indian Summer that year, and it sort of lulled me into trusting the weather. So the first real cold snap, I forgot my wool scarf.

I used to sit at my desk when I got to work, still wearing my cycling togs, cooling down and getting a little productive work done. When I cooled down enough, I'd go into the latrine, take a GI bath, and change into my uniform.

That particular morning, as I cooled down, I began to get uncomfortable. Slowly, what had been a minor irritant began to change into a painful situation. I decided to apply the Infantry Solution -- tough it out.

Didn't work.

With the pain increasing, I began to think about what I could do. I decided to go into the latrine and sit on the Circular Seat, so nothing could touch my now agonizingly throbbing anatomy, and let the pain subside.

Didn't work.

But as I sat there, I was looking directly at the maid's sink, where the office 40-cup coffee maker resided, field stripped and washed, ready for service. And an idea began to form.

There was another Infantry major who worked in that office, and he liked to get to work early, too -- so as to get some productive work done before the phones started ringing. As he tells the story, he had noticed the way I walked to the latrine, and when I didn't return after many minutes, he figured he better investigate.

By now, I had partially assembled the coffee maker, put a little water in it, and plugged it in. My friend walked into the latrine just as I was presenting my affliction to the healing steam.

I recovered completely. Sadly, my friend did not. He still bursts into hysterical laughter whenever he sees someone drinking coffee.

11. Rico

Rico Well-Known Member

Now that's funny!!! :fit: :fit: :fit:

12. The mental image that came with that story was pretty funny as well LOL!

13. Vern Humphrey

I blush to say this, but that was pretty much a normal day in my life.:wink:

14. Just going to come right out and say it....I don't get it. what is a snow snake?

15. Vern Humphrey

It's one that crawls up your leg and freezes your testimonials off.:biggrin:

16. FrogTacos

FrogTacos Well-Known Member

Its what the trouser snake turns into in cold weather. Now imagine him with that coffee maker. :fit:

17. kfarm

kfarm Well-Known Member

Years ago when I was working for the Water Co., I found a little King snake in the road along side where I was working. It was cold but not like it is now, I guess about 40 or so and the snake was all but frozen. I put the little fellow in my coat pocket to take home but forgot about him till later. Later was when I got back to the office and hung up my coat in the hall closet, when the snake got warm said snake decided to explore the engineering office. That's when things started to go down hill fast. I was afraid to anti up and never said any thing but most of the guy's gave me the nood in passing. The girls just kept screaming snakes snakes.

18. smokin joe

smokin joe Well-Known Member

Was duck hunting last year , had to brake the ice to get to our hole. I was laying my pack on a downed log when it moved :yikes: Need less to say that copperhead didn't make it out of the swamp :whistle:

19. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Last day of duck season, last year, stepped out of the boat in the dark, with ice around the waters edge, and dang near fell over an 8 ft long alligator. You never know!