Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my cousin, his oldest son and I took Copper out this morning. We got out there at daylight and didn't get 50yds from the truck before we spotted one in a tree. Copper saw it timbering and took off after it. He was barking as he timbered it and then he apparently lost it. He treed on a tree the squirrel timbered through but the squirrel kept going so my cousin's son went after him and shot him out. We had another squirrel bail out of a tree in front of Copper but he lost it on the ground. Then right before the rain started Copper spotted one on the ground and ran it up a tree. My cousin was there with him and he tried to encourage Copper to bark but he gave up and shot the squirrel out to him. So Copper saw 3 and treed two. Thats one more than last time! Woohoo!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Be careful about shooting squirrels if they do not bark treed,...be careful about chasing timbered squirrels for the dog. Dogs will often let you do the work if they can. I once had an old man, when I once shot a squirrel not truly treed, ask me, "Do you want to kill squirrels or do you want to train that dog?" He then said that when I mainly wanted to shoot squirrels I would be better off to leave the pup at home for that day. Once a dog knows what squirrels are, and once the prey drive kicks in, it is often best to let them work things out, even if you come home with an empty bag. Over the long run, they will develop less bad habits, and also, I think make better dogs. Just my humble opinion.

·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree Angus. I am new to this and need all the help I can get. What do you think about taking them hunting with experienced dogs?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Its a great way to get a young one started. THREE THINGS THOUGH: 1)You have to know the dog and handler, as you do not want to hunt with an overly aggressive dog that would attack your pup, and 2)you want the older dog to be experienced in hunting like you want to hunt, (close in, far ranging, etc., and certainly handled well and broke off trash). Two pups out together will just give each other bad habits. Also, 3)you do not want to over do it, as it can if done all the time, just create a "Me too" dog, in that the pup will often tend to allow the older dog to take the lead, failing to learn on its own. Overall, though, it is a very sound way to break in a younger dog. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
addint to what angus just said with the me too, the trashy, and the mean at tree dog all of these things can ruin a young pup if you can run your dog about every third hunt with a good mannered, and trash broke dog let him learn and then apply on his own i have trained walkers this way with good success it breaks the cycle of follow the leader and helps them learn to lead, let the dog do the work not you, as they will let you huntfor them and not them for you

·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took him out again this afternoon but didn't see a squirrel. Copper did jump a deer and ran it about 400 yds!:banghead: He came back but I didn't feel like I could discipline him unless I had him in the act.

·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good deal! Maybe we could get a hunt together sometime. Where are you located?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts