Coon control at the bait pile

Discussion in 'Habitat Management' started by danster, Nov 29, 2017.

1. danster

danster Well-Known Member

What do you guys do for coons? They are eating me out of house and home on the corn pile.
    I've trapped some in the past but don't like to go in my plot everyday to check traps. I know I don't have as many as some of you but I have a sea of coons on my baitpile and something's gotta give.

2. quackandmild

quackandmild Well-Known Member

It got to the point where I was feeding 5 or 6 coons and a couple opossums every single night all night long so I just quit putting corn out. It's not near as bad using just nut grub, I've also been known to shoot them with my bow just to thin the numbers when given the opportunity.

3. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

harrison
    I have a 1 dog, raccoon removal operation going if your close enuf and need help.

4. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Get a 1/2 doz dog proof traps. Put a cotton ball under the trigger and fill the rest of the way with dry cat food. You can prob catch all of them in two nights

Maggiesmaster and HEVI D like this.
  5. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Try this. You will get some of them. Unfortunately, coons are not like hogs. When I kill a hog and leave the carcass laying nearby - the other hogs kind of get the idea and thin down. I think coons look at one of their own dead brothers as more food left for them.

brushcreek and marshmallow like this.
  6. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

I usually live trap them and release them in curdog's yard.

trapsetter1 and curdog1 like this.
  7. turkman

turkman Well-Known Member

8. b8hickman

b8hickman Well-Known Member

fly bait and some fruity flavored soda and they wont make it far so I am told.

9. danster

danster Well-Known Member

Well, so far I've taken out two coons and one possum. Looks like the coons have gotten the message and are staying off my bait pile.

nubbin ridge runner likes this.