Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've decided to start a blog about cool things to shoot. By that, I mean off the wall stuff that you don't see much. Since I am an 07/02 FFL, that means you'll get to see all sorts of silencers, machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, and short-barreled rifles. For those that think they are illegal, they aren't as long as you jump through the proper hoops. Here in Arkansas, silencers are legal to hunt with and in fact, are gaining popularity every day. I may throw some dead animal pics occasionally and you might actually recognize my oldest son, who started Moderating here as a kid. I call him Rye, others know him as Fro-man. For those that are into guns, feel free to check out my Facebook site called "Bailey Signature Firearms" for all sorts of gun stuff.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DSC_0507 (2).JPG
Our first thing will be something that is incredibly fun to shoot. With that being said, with 3" magnum double ought buck its a beast to shoot. That foregrip pops down and you'd better have a tight grip on it. It holds 3 total, 2 in the tube and one upfront. Firing this at anything will show about a 3-foot long fireball complete with ear-piercing sound. Its the ultimate truck gun, being able to stash underneath your console or you can even stick it beside your seat where it is unseen until you need it. An interesting fact is that although it is classed as an NFA item, the tax stamp for it is only 5.00 bucks because its an AOW...which means "any other weapon" in the NFA world. NFA means "National Firearms Act" which became a thing in 1936 that made certain guns taxable.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a Glock 17 with a Thompson Machine "Poseidon"
82955161_10162760424515304_6057815916605865984_o.jpg
9 mm silencer. It's small and it's as quiet as a full-sized suppressor for about a dozen or so shots. It's designed to be fired "wet" which means that any oil, water, or even wire pulling gel or vaseline will work to absorb heat which is energy. The front of it has what is called a "wipe" which is a 1/4" thick piece of rubber that the bullet shoots through. With the combination of a wet substance and the wipe, it's surprisingly quiet without all of the lengths that a regular silencer has. This one is one of the smallest and quietest Micro cans on the market. This one has the new TRL7 flashlight on it which is pretty bright despite its size.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heres a great little gun made by KeLTec. Its the CP 33, named so because it holds 33 rounds in the magazine. I thought it a bit bog for a pistol but a friend of mine came over with one and it had both the brace on it as well as his silencer. One we got that sight of his dialed in, we shot the center of the bullseye at 25 yards. With the brace out and the red dot sight, as light as the whole thing is, it makes for an excellent little backpack gun or a bugout gun. With the can on it is quiet and accurate. Collapse the brace, remove the can, and stick it right in a pack. Keltec did this one right. The trigger breaks at 2.5pounds, which is by far the best trigger Keltec has made yet. This one sports a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 sight on it which is the perfect size for this.
81266104_3549415535098899_8077147305385394176_o.jpg

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Thanks for starting this.....looks like it's gonna be very interesting and fun!

Reactions: HotGuns

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a fun gun and you can carry it in your pocket. It's featured with the XCaliber Micro .22 can, a short can that is designed to be fired wet. As such its good for a whole magazine before it must be recharged. I usually just use a capful of water and shake it up. It's surprisingly quiet and fairly accurate. It's a Berreta 21A. The threaded barrel is also made by XCaliber Firearms right here in Mena, Ar. They have some great products. How quiet is this? I could shoot it out your front door and if your wife was asleep in your recliner she wouldn't even wake up.
DSC_0250 (3).JPG

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sbr AK.jpg

Here's a short-barreled rifle AK that was made from a Draco pistol. I fabricated the hinge so that the stock can fold, but also be pulled out since its collapsible. I made this several years ago before Magpul started making AK grips, so it is actually a modified Ar grip that I used with a grip adapter. This thing is fun to shoot but don't try it without ear protection because it'll make your ears bleed. When that stock is folded, it makes a great little truck gun.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you know that shotgun silencers were a thing? Yes, they are. Heres one that is 12/20 gauge capable and uses chokes that are interchangeable. Chances are that if you are using interchangeable chokes in your shotgun there is a pattern made for it. Duck hunters really like these. Three guys in a flatbottom shooting at ducks can have their ears ringing for days. While these aren't as quiet as other rifle or pistol cans, what it does do is throw the sound downrange so it's not in your face. They aren't as heavy as they look and they have an indexable bead so that you can still have a reference.
DSC_0353.JPG

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ruger with Eco.jpg

Heres a simple set up that is so fun to shoot that a brick of .22 won't last you through the day. It's a Ruger MK2 22/45 with an XCaliber Eco .22 on it. This can is rated for .17M2. .17 HMR. 22LR and .22 Magnum. With CCI standard or subsonic often the loudest sound is the action cycling and the bullet hitting the target. There is no first-round pop with thus can and it's one of the cheapest ones on the market. I sell pretty much everything, and I am not aware of any that are quieter. These Rugers are accurate and this one came threaded from the factory.

·
Grand Member
9,960 Posts
I've got a Scoundrel .22 rimfire suppressor, that I finally got to pick up last month. It is almost silent on my Ruger American bolt action .22 with sub-sonics. It's a little louder on my Browning Buckmark. I was wondering about the first shot pop I get on the pistol. What is the reason for it happening? Doesn't do it as bad on the rifle. But the first shot out of a magazine on the pistol had a pop. The other nine, following the first one, are quieter than that first one.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've got a Scoundrel .22 rimfire suppressor, that I finally got to pick up last month. It is almost silent on my Ruger American bolt action .22 with sub-sonics. It's a little louder on my Browning Buckmark. I was wondering about the first shot pop I get on the pistol. What is the reason for it happening? Doesn't do it as bad on the rifle. But the first shot out of a magazine on the pistol had a pop. The other nine, following the first one, are quieter than that first one.
That's pretty common on most silencers. The first round pop is becuase of that oxygen in the silencer that makes the first shot louder. After it's burned out, the next shots are quieter.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TC suppressed.jpg

I love to squirrel hunt and this one is one of my favorites. It's a T/C Contender in .22 LR. This is quiet, and deadly accurate with the Leupold scope on it. I have 4 other barrels for it, a .300 Blackout, a 7x30 Waters, a .44 Mag and a .223 all matching stainless steel.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heres one that I built using the "Pork Sword" frame. This one is a bit different. Its a Remington 700 action and I built a "Remage" barrel for it. The Remage system is much like the Savage system in which any caliber within the size of the bolt face can be used. This particular one is a 10'5" .308 barrel. The process to change these barrels out is simple. You insert a headspace gage into the chamber, close the bolt and screw the barrel in until it stops. You then tighten the barrel nut. Any caliber that has a parent .308 case can be used for the caliber. Another plus is since you are headspaceing every barrel, you can swap out the bolt for a .223 bolt and this allows any caliber built off of a .223. So you could, with two bolts, build anything from .223 up to .308. For the next caliber, I am thinking a .45 Raptor for hog hunting. This pistol is light, the stock folds up and you can remove the silencer so that you can stick the whole thing in a backpack. This particular .308 barrel has a 1/8 twist so that the 220 subsonic bullets can be shot and stabilized well. On the opening day of the private land doe hunt, I whacked a large doe using the 190 grain expanding subsonic bullet made by Hornady.
DSC_0491 (2).JPG

1 - 20 of 138 Posts